Diglot
Italy
Joined 4851 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 33 of 94
30 August 2011 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I love hungarian, though it has not a direct usefulness.
Furthermore I can withstand to Estonian, although I haven't begun to study it yet, I am
firmly decided to do it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ygangerg
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5115 days ago

100 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French
Studies: German

Message 34 of 94
31 August 2011 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
I'm a fan of learning Romance languages, and I'm maybe somewhere around a B1 in Arabic. So... Maltese has been calling me from its precious little isle for a couple years now. Not sure if I'll get to it though.

I wonder, Xander, being Italian, do you know anything about learning Maltese? Do you know anyone who's tried?

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5194 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 35 of 94
31 August 2011 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
I have had an unhealthy obsession with Italian since I first went there in 6th grade (1996). Stemming from that I've
always been interested in Latin and just finally broke down and bought Wheelock's (50% off at Borders!).

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6500 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 94
31 August 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
I had decided to limit myself to the Indoeuropean languages, but when I visited the Philippines I bought a language guide to Cebuan which gave a lot of sentences with minor differences - which is much better for study purposes than the usual run of totally different constructions in other language guides and even textbooks. I finished that tour in Manila where I bought my most 'forward looking' Latin dictionary, an Indonesian dictionary and three small dictionaries (partly with short morphologic sections) of Filipino/Tagalog. I saw a big fat dictionary, but couldn't carry it in my luggage (I only travel with hand luggage), and my one attempt to buy something similar (or the same book?) through the internet didn't succeed. So while I did work on the grammar I had to drop learning the language because my small dictionaries simply didn't contain enough vocabulary to decode even simple genuine texts.

Last year later I visited Singapore, Brunei, Sarawak and Kuala Lumpur, and I became interested in the local language (called Bahasa, which simply means 'language'). I bought a dictionary which functioned well, but couldn't find much literature about science or history in Bahasa. After I came home I found out that it is much easier to find materials in Bahasa Indonesian than in Bahasa Malaysian, so I decided to switch to Indonesian - but with the intention of learning Bahasa Malaysia afterwards - the two language are closely related (almost like Danish and Norwegian or Swedish).

I have still not given up my original plan about learning the Indoeuropean languages of Europe before anything else - now there is just one tiny exception to the rule. And oh yes, Esperanto too, but I consider that one as an adopted member of the Indoeuropean family.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6580 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 37 of 94
31 August 2011 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
I think the formulation of this thread is needlessly pessimistic. Why would you have to
resist a language? Why does it have to be some kind of struggle for resistance? Do you
fear that you will be conquered and oppressed should your resistance falter?

JLA
Triglot
France
Joined 4694 days ago

25 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: French*, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 38 of 94
31 August 2011 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
I think the formulation of this thread is needlessly pessimistic. Why would you have to
resist a language? Why does it have to be some kind of struggle for resistance? Do you
fear that you will be conquered and oppressed should your resistance falter?

Hehe, no more like weeks of "suffering" and doubt before you start to think "yes, maybe I will manage it".

And actually, this thread would make me rather optimistic, after all the "what would I gain if I were to learn language X" threads I have seen, it's nice to see that so much people keep learning a language simply because they fell in love with it :)

graaaaaagh
Diglot
United States
Joined 4631 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 39 of 94
31 August 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
I love French. I feel so cool when I speak it; it's got a very hard-hitting sound. It's got some really fun turns of phrase. I really like its orthography as well. Hearing it, tho, isn't much different from hearing my native language, in that I'm used to it enough that it's pretty much just the unmarked 'sound of speech' (then again, I tend to listen even to English for its sounds). I've put all my other language-projects on hold until I've developed a higher degree of proficiency (which I'm doing just by watching movies and reading books - I've decided to avoid looking words up).

I used to adore German, and had got to a low-intermediate level in it a few months back, but lately I haven't been as interested in it.

Every Finno-Ugric language I've heard/studied sounds absolutely beautiful.

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5137 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 40 of 94
31 August 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
I am currently very crazy over Turkish language, as the history and culture along the ancient silkroad appeal to me a great deal...Furthermore, I hope that by learning Turkish language (and eventually Mongolian and Korean, and other Turkic languages), I could find the similarity/differences between these languages, the influence of one on the other, and also the Chinese dialect Hokkien, which seems to have a significant impact on the vocabulary of Korean and Japanese (perhaps due to its official usage during the Tang dynasty).

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 31 August 2011 at 1:44pm

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version