Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5563 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 25 of 94
26 August 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
I've never been able to resist German. I can read, listen to, speak German near enough
all day while managing never to quite tire of it. I've been promising myself for years
that I would one day study Greek. My books are all ready, my degree is now over, and
September, the time I promised myself I would start Greek seriously, is almost upon me :]

Jack
2 persons have voted this message useful

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4860 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 26 of 94
26 August 2011 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Finnish has grown on me this past year. Sometimes when I don't open my books for a while, I wonder what I plan to get out of this language since I probably won't get a chance to speak it to someone anytime in the near future. It also won't useful for learning any other languages that aren't agglutinative or in the Uralic family. Then I study more grammar, listen to more songs, and all doubts are cast from my mind. The unique grammar, the crispiness of pronunciation, the rhythmic tempo that's caused by the regular stress. It just makes me smile at all that I learned so far.

Also, somehow, French keeps sneaking back into my life. It was the first language I ever studied, and even after dismissing it for years, I am going to start studying it.

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 26 August 2011 at 5:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Icaria909
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

201 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 94
26 August 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
I've studied Spanish for years and for a long time I really disliked the language. But now, I've really gotten into old Spanish poetry and latin american authors. Reading's a tad addicting now...

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4831 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 28 of 94
26 August 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Phantom Kat wrote:
It also won't useful for learning any other languages that aren't agglutinative or in the Uralic family.

Kat, I have found Finnish very useful in my study of Japanese. For example, teh question particles are nearly the same, and the partitive case is what I think of when (correctly) using the -ga particle/syntax marker.

No, they aren't directly related, but it's still helpful.

And I'm happy to find someone out there passionate about Finnish like me. :)

KonoMachi
Triglot
IsraelRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4636 days ago

8 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English, Esperanto
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 29 of 94
26 August 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
That would be Japanese of course.
Its vowels are so pure and soft, its syntax is interesting and fun to learn...

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4860 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 30 of 94
27 August 2011 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
Phantom Kat wrote:
It also won't useful for learning any other languages that aren't agglutinative or in the Uralic family.

Kat, I have found Finnish very useful in my study of Japanese. For example, teh question particles are nearly the same, and the partitive case is what I think of when (correctly) using the -ga particle/syntax marker.

No, they aren't directly related, but it's still helpful.

And I'm happy to find someone out there passionate about Finnish like me. :)

Really? That's great because I really want to learn Japanese one day. Throughout the years it's grown on me, yet it always seemed like an intimidating language to learn without being extremely prepared. Thanks for the tip! You make me want to dive into some Japanese grammar.

And yes, more people should be passionate about Finnish. It's a language like no other, in my opinion.

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 27 August 2011 at 8:17am

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5665 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 31 of 94
30 August 2011 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
I have always had a big passion for unusual languages. I started studying Hungarian using some good resources I had (Teach Yourself and Assimil) and then I couldn't stop it anymore. I just fell in love with the language completely and even though I knew that it might not be so useful in the future, I just kept studying it. Now I use it daily as I have many acquaintances from Hungary and watch hungarian media.

Another language that I'm struggling to resist is Welsh. I guess I didn't start it yet because of the lack of resources and I don't know anyone from Wales either, but it's one of the languages that fascinates me the most. Written it looks like random typing and spoken it's very rough and hard on the ears. Somehow that attracts me a lot.

therumsgone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6334 days ago

93 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 32 of 94
30 August 2011 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
That's the way I feel about French. I wanted to take it in high school, but my parents refused to let me (I grew up
in Southern California, so I think it was fair of them to insist that I study Spanish). But I just fell in love with
French culture: the food, the literature, the music, the cinema. Maybe it's because some of the ideas fit well with
my own values (quality over quantity, that sort of thing) and it might just be my sense of humor. Sometimes I
joke that I'm secretly French, although that's probably stretching it.

For whatever reason, things that would annoy me if I were studying a different language amuse me in French. I
love the fact that French has a literary tense. I spend a lot of time learn filler words and idioms because they
genuinely fascinate me. I even love the way the words run together, although sometimes it drives me crazy.

Other languages that I'm fairly obsessed with, but trying to resist until I've moved to basic fluency in French, are
Japanese and Russian. I'm lucky in that I have close friends who are native speakers of these languages. My goal
is to get to a C2 level in French, but I'm not that ambitious for any other language (I'd be very happy with B2
Japanese and Russian, when I get to them).

With Spanish, learning was fun but it never felt like a compulsion. I guess that's why my Spanish has gotten fairly
stagnant, which is a problem that I should remedy, but haven't yet.

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version