United States
Joined 6338 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 73 of 116
17 November 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Are there people here at HTLAL who suggest that the CFSI would do better to scrap all those
language classes, hand out Assimil courses and tell people to come back when they feel"fluent" in the language?

I'm sure there are, but they are probably afraid to answer. Putting FSI up against Assimil is a no-brainer. But how
about a high school class vs Assimil? Which do you think will yield better results?
tarvos wrote:
If you need to drill someone at short notice to be able to speak without needing any creativity, FSI
methods will help.

Sounds like you don't know what FSI is. He's talking about the full time government run school, not the free
program online.

Edited by leosmith on 17 November 2013 at 7:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3961 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 74 of 116
17 November 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I agree, but I'm yet to see anyone in class making a proper effort when the teacher isn't listening. They will speak quietly or pronounce things much more similarly to their native language (sometimes to faciliate the fellow learner's understanding). When making dialogues, the content is often discussed in the students' native language too. I think self-talk is much more productive than this sort of thing.

Really? In my classes, I always make an effort to check whether the people on the other side of the room are on task, and I find that they almost always are. I don't really understand what you mean by "making dialogues" though. I might give the students a framework or starter for a conversation, but writing a dialogue and practising it is something I would only ever do with absolute beginners, because it's not real communication, it's just a fluency exercise. In my experience, give the students something to talk about that they find interesting, and the only L1 they'll use is occasionally to ask each other for a translation.

Serpent wrote:
Why not just pay someone for practising conversation with them? Or ideally find someone who loves languages, is NOT learning your native language, and has common interests with you and considers you a wonderful person? It's even becoming easier than it used to be. Previously I had to write forum posts in my L2 but nowadays you can get started as soon as you are capable of reposting, retweeting and clicking like.

It's an option, but there's a world of difference between a good professional teacher and someone who simply speaks the language. Let's imagine you're having a conversation and you aren't sure how to say something and get your grammar all wrong. Any native speaker will be able to correct your grammar fairly easily. It might not occur to the non-teacher to allow you to correct it yourself, which is usually a better way of learning than just being told the answer. It also might not occur to the non-teacher that the resulting phrase might be grammatically correct, but not how a native speaker would phrase the same thing. The non-teacher is probably going to be less able to quickly think of a more appropriate phrase, as well as showing you a few different contexts in which it can be used. It almost certainly won't occur to them to then steer the conversation in a way that actually forces you to use the new phrase in a real conversation, helping future retention. And people not trained in teaching (and some that are) have a habit of trying to teach you language by explaining it to you, which is generally a recipe for disaster.

I'm not suggesting that there's not great value to be had from simply speaking to native speakers, but it's different from a one-on-one tuition session with proper feedback. I'm also pointing out that just because you have a teacher doesn't mean that you can't call the shots in terms of what you talk about during your sessions. In fact, this is the best way to do it, because that's how you get the language to talk about the things you actually want to discuss. Simply chatting to a native speaker is useful but in a different way. Personally, if I was going to go down this route, I'd do both at the same time. Use a professional tutor for decent feedback and a conversation partner to practice the things I learned in my tutor sessions.

I'd also wonder how much cheaper a non-teacher would be than a teacher anyway. I can't imagine many people are going to give their spare time away for significantly less than they earn in their day job, and given that language teachers aren't particularly well paid in the first place, I doubt you'd get a huge discount by paying a non-teacher to chat to you.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 75 of 116
17 November 2013 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:

Sounds like you don't know what FSI is. He's talking about the full time government run
school, not the free
program online.

Yes? That still consists of lots of drilling and exercises in classroom situations. I'm
not saying it's not effective, more that many people here won't enjoy that sort of
thing. Eventually people do get a lot of fluency, the question is whether you could use
that time more effectively than "repeat this material 100 times over until you want to
barf". I am not sure that is conducive to good motivation within students, but for what
it is designed to do, yes, it is useful. What I'm arguing here is that people who want
to learn languages on their own and don't have the luxury of enrollment will do better
by self-study than by classroom teaching. FSI drilling is a different ballgame and you
know that.

Edited by tarvos on 17 November 2013 at 7:30pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3961 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 

Message 76 of 116
17 November 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I still don't get it. Are there people here still saying that all
language classes are bad? I have no doubt that many people have had terrible experiences
with high school classes but should that lead us to believe that all classes are terrible
and useless? Maybe we should tell all those people at the US Foreign Service Institute or
the many schools around the world that they are wasting their time.

Tutoring is fine with me, classroom education is something I generally abhor. But if you
could find a way to use it productively then be my guest. I am not sure FSI is a good
example because its goals are different, but drilling does help. It is just really boring
though and doesn't stimulate creativity in my view.

When was the last time you were in a language classroom? Drilling is generally used minimally nowadays. It's certainly no longer common for the teacher to listen to each student say every new piece of language before moving on. I can't comment on the FSI, but I'd be very surprised if the bulk of their lessons wasn't proper communication with creative free practice with the language.

And based on the ones I've used, the self-study software relies extremely heavily on drilling and behaviourist techniques that have taken something of a back seat in the last 30 years in (good) classrooms. There's absolutely no scope to deviate from exactly what you've been told to say in these programs. I like Pimsleur, but there's nothing even vaguely creative involved. You're just being drilled for fluency and pronunciation of set phrases. Which is why it should ideally be supplemented with conversation practice where you can play around with what you've learned more freely.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 77 of 116
17 November 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
[QUOTE=tarvos] [QUOTE=s_allard]
And based on the ones I've used, the self-study software relies extremely heavily on
drilling and behaviourist techniques that have taken something of a back seat in the
last 30 years in (good) classrooms. There's absolutely no scope to deviate from exactly
what you've been told to say in these programs. I like Pimsleur, but there's nothing
even vaguely creative involved. You're just being drilled for fluency and pronunciation
of set phrases. Which is why it should ideally be supplemented with conversation
practice where you can play around with what you've learned more freely.

The last time I was in a classroom was a year ago, and that was at the AF - where
drilling was not used. But that had the trouble of conversations with other people who
are equally bad at the language, which is also not something I enjoy particularly and
is expensive.

I did not know that the FSI had changed in the meanwhile. I also have never used
Pimsleur.

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3961 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 

Message 78 of 116
17 November 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I did not know that the FSI had changed in the meanwhile. I also have never used Pimsleur.

I'm not sure it has, I just assume it has, because I'd assume they'd be up to date with the latest research in second-language acquisition. Pimsleur's just one example. I've also used Michel Thomas and Assimil, but by their very nature, these products don't let you be creative and deviate from the language presented.

Anyway, here's an interesting blog post from Scott Thornbury about his 90 minute conversation sessions in Spanish with a non-teacher. I think the key aspect is the note taking and subsequent feedback, rather than just the conversation itself.

Edited by I'm With Stupid on 17 November 2013 at 7:55pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 79 of 116
17 November 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I agree, but I'm yet to see anyone in class making a proper effort when the teacher isn't listening. They will speak quietly or pronounce things much more similarly to their native language (sometimes to faciliate the fellow learner's understanding). When making dialogues, the content is often discussed in the students' native language too. I think self-talk is much more productive than this sort of thing.

Really? In my classes, I always make an effort to check whether the people on the other side of the room are on task, and I find that they almost always are. I don't really understand what you mean by "making dialogues" though. I might give the students a framework or starter for a conversation, but writing a dialogue and practising it is something I would only ever do with absolute beginners, because it's not real communication, it's just a fluency exercise. In my experience, give the students something to talk about that they find interesting, and the only L1 they'll use is occasionally to ask each other for a translation.
Then how do they learn the vocabulary? By doing translations?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 80 of 116
17 November 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
s_allard wrote:
Are there people here at HTLAL who suggest that the CFSI would do better to scrap all those
language classes, hand out Assimil courses and tell people to come back when they feel"fluent" in the language?

I'm sure there are, but they are probably afraid to answer. Putting FSI up against Assimil is a no-brainer.
In terms of healthy language learning Assimil wins. It's like running daily and attending a fitness club VS those extreme diets that ruin your health.

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version