United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 33 of 116
12 December 2011 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
William Camden wrote:
A half-decent teacher or tutor will help you remove them but the total autodidact will continue to bog down in error.
Hm, at my former uni teachers would often point out people's errors and say they gotta work on this or that thing on their own. Sometimes they'd recommend a specific textbook but imo that's not that different from a native speaker simply saying you make the same mistake a lot.

And that's f**king Moscow State Linguistics Uni, groups of 10 people max, everyone actually wanting to improve their English...a better situation than at many classroom courses.

Turkish speakers sometimes point out my mistakes in Turkish, but often do not (my Turkish is almost entirely self-taught, and through conversation, reading or watching TV). Often, if they can understand what I am saying, they will just let the errors through. Whereas a competent teacher would more systematically point the errors out.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5799 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 34 of 116
12 December 2011 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
William Camden wrote:
A half-decent teacher or tutor will help you remove them but the total autodidact will continue to bog down in error.
Hm, at my former uni teachers would often point out people's errors and say they gotta work on this or that thing on their own. Sometimes they'd recommend a specific textbook but imo that's not that different from a native speaker simply saying you make the same mistake a lot.

And that's f**king Moscow State Linguistics Uni, groups of 10 people max, everyone actually wanting to improve their English...a better situation than at many classroom courses.

Yes, there's a sort of "correction aversion" in a lot of teaching at the moment. I was talking to one of the tutors here about correction, and she was saying that the course leader wants full explanations on everything for the beginners course, so I explained my views on "minimal correction" -- giving just enough information for the student to fix the errors themselves. IE if someone says "la hombre", I wouldn't say "el hombre", because the student wouldn't then be able to correct himself -- there wouldn't be any thinking on the students part. Similarly, I wouldn't give the3 full explanation every time of "hombre is a masculine word, and la is the feminine definite article, you need the masculine definite article: el".

Instead I'd give a minimal prompt, like saying "la hombre?" with a confused look, or even just "la...?" Or sometimes I'd repeat the words before it -- eg he says "Hablaba con la hombre," I say "Hablaba con...," he says "hablaba con la hombre," I say "hablaba con..." he says "hablaba con el hombre".
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4903 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 35 of 116
12 December 2011 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
I just finished a very low-intensity evening class in French, and while I would have liked it to be a bit more difficult, I did really enjoy it. I feel like I can actually talk in French now, even if I can't say many things.

I did notice that the teacher wasn't correcting people on obvious pronunciation problems, so I went to her after class and told her I wanted her to be brutally honest about my pronunciation. She agreed to listen closely and correct me on minor problems. So if you feel like your teacher isn't challenging you enough you can always ask!

I wouldn't pay the extreme prices to take university language classes or anything like that, but my evening classes are only about $12 a class, and they're great for giving me a chance to speak in the language, so I think it's worth it. It all depends on what you're hoping to get from a class, I guess.
1 person has voted this message useful

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5321 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 36 of 116
12 December 2011 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Self-learning is all fine and dandy (I should know), but there is one
thing classes can do for many people that otherwise would not happen. That time you got
to classes is the time you've set aside purely for language learning. It's like a legal
excuse to turn off your phone and not let yourself be distracted. I know many adults with
busy schedules who can't study at home because they'd feel guilty of not doing stuff with
their kids or spouses. And they'd feel equally quilty going to the library or cafe or
wherever for few hours of self-study. They'd still answer their phones and inadvertently
multitask with their other responsibilities. When you register for language classes it's
an official statement of "I'm busy, I won't answer the phone, this is my learning time".

Edited by aabram on 12 December 2011 at 9:57pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4612 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 37 of 116
13 December 2011 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
The only reason I decided to take a class is to force me into learning the language. I knew very well from the start
the bulk of the learning process I wouldn't be doing in class but on my own. That's fine with me. The thing is, I
needed that extra boost. With a class, you have an obligation. And I'm paying for it so... I believe that if you don't
sacrifice something, you generally don't progress much. That's for me anyway...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 38 of 116
13 December 2011 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Serpent wrote:
William Camden wrote:

Yes, there's a sort of "correction aversion" in a lot of teaching at the moment. I was talking to one of the tutors here about correction, and she was saying that the course leader wants full explanations on everything for the beginners course, so I explained my views on "minimal correction" -- giving just enough information for the student to fix the errors themselves. IE if someone says "la hombre", I wouldn't say "el hombre", because the student wouldn't then be able to correct himself -- there wouldn't be any thinking on the students part. Similarly, I wouldn't give the3 full explanation every time of "hombre is a masculine word, and la is the feminine definite article, you need the masculine definite article: el".

Instead I'd give a minimal prompt, like saying "la hombre?" with a confused look, or even just "la...?" Or sometimes I'd repeat the words before it -- eg he says "Hablaba con la hombre," I say "Hablaba con...," he says "hablaba con la hombre," I say "hablaba con..." he says "hablaba con el hombre".
really, repeating the mistake? :O otherwise I agree, minimal prompts ae the best.

but it's not like teachers at my uni didn't correct due to some Deep Reasons Having to Do with the Philosophy of Teaching :) It's just that the pace would be too slow if every mistake always got corrected, so many teachers tend to correct just the mistakes related to the material you're currently studying.

Especially pronunciation mistakes never seem to get corrected unless you mispronounce words like sheet.

What makes it worse is that when you've just reviewed a rule/read some examples/done exercises, you're likely to get it right. And while you're focusing on it you'll get wrong what you're not currently learning.

stout
Ireland
Joined 5159 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 39 of 116
13 December 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
That depends on the quality and the motivation of the students and teachers.In my
experience my French language teachers have been a mixed bag.Good,bad and average.
At the moment I doing French online lessons with a language school which is based
in France.

My current French language tutor is very good and I will continue with her for some time
to come.Yes self study courses and language exchange partners are good and useful.
However they are not a substitute for a good language tutor.

Yes you get good and bad teachers and you get good and bad students too...Do language
classes work?...In my opinion that very much depends on the quality of the language tutor
and that if the language student is motivated and willing to learn.

Edited by stout on 13 December 2011 at 8:08pm

boon
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5947 days ago

91 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Mandarin, Latin

Message 40 of 116
13 December 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
I hated the textbooks we used at school. Much of the content was boring stuff like learning how to say: "I like sport. I play football. I went to a disco last Saturday night. During the summer I played sports and went dancing."

In short, they were aimed at the popular kids. I looked at some school textbooks in a bookshop recently. They haven't changed.

To be fair, they did have some decent content. One French book had an interview with a Frenchman who was homeless for a few years.

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version