116 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 65 of 116
16 November 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
Language classes obviously work, but it's worth pointing out that every class is a compromise of time available and money you have to spend.

And the pace and flexibility. When I took a couple of months of Portuguese classes, I found I had zero motivation to go beyond what was taught.

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Some people seem to be of the opinion that speaking without a teacher listening is pointless. I don't think that's even slightly the case.
I agree, but I'm yet to see anyone in class making a proper effort when the teacher isn't listening. They will speak quietly or pronounce things much more similarly to their native language (sometimes to faciliate the fellow learner's understanding). When making dialogues, the content is often discussed in the students' native language too. I think self-talk is much more productive than this sort of thing.

I'm With Stupid wrote:
But I guess if you could get actual one-on-one classes then you could use your limited time to greater effect by structuring it around your self-study and use your time with the teacher more efficiently.
Why not just pay someone for practising conversation with them? Or ideally find someone who loves languages, is NOT learning your native language, and has common interests with you and considers you a wonderful person? It's even becoming easier than it used to be. Previously I had to write forum posts in my L2 but nowadays you can get started as soon as you are capable of reposting, retweeting and clicking like.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 66 of 116
16 November 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
I find class dialogues terrible - you're speaking to other people with even worse
pronunciation. The second problem is that if that happens I am going to be the annoying
person and improvise everything I know extra on the fly, just to keep myself from being
bored.

I would find an exchange partner or a native willing to talk in your L2 and I would
also hire a cheap tutor who gives you loads of input and speaking practice.

Nearly every language that I speak well is a language I have spoken in social
situations and would be comfortable, say, asking a girl out on a date in, or, say, go
to a party in.

Whereas doing a shopping routine is just... you know, you prepare what you want to get
and you say it. If they deviate there's always "can you repeat that?"
4 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4411 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 67 of 116
17 November 2013 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
The best language classes I attended were the ones where the teacher actually spoke to the class most of
the time in German and constantly fired questions at the class, more or less forcing you to speak. I got a lot
out of that approach. Strangely, or schooling system still teaches languages by using the medium of English
which seems counter intuitive.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5219 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 68 of 116
17 November 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I still don't get it. Are there people here still saying that all language classes are bad? I have no doubt that many people have had terrible experiences with high school classes but should that lead us to believe that all classes are terrible and useless? Maybe we should tell all those people at the US Foreign Service Institute or the many schools around the world that they are wasting their time.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 69 of 116
17 November 2013 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I still don't get it. Are there people here still saying that all
language classes are bad? I have no doubt that many people have had terrible experiences
with high school classes but should that lead us to believe that all classes are terrible
and useless? Maybe we should tell all those people at the US Foreign Service Institute or
the many schools around the world that they are wasting their time.

Tutoring is fine with me, classroom education is something I generally abhor. But if you
could find a way to use it productively then be my guest. I am not sure FSI is a good
example because its goals are different, but drilling does help. It is just really boring
though and doesn't stimulate creativity in my view.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 70 of 116
17 November 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
If you study full-time like at FSI, it doesn't matter much what exactly you do, within reasonable. When classes aren't a waste of time, they are still not worth the boredom and PAIN. If you have the discipline to survive the classes that make you cry several times a day, you definitely have the capability to learn on your own and cry only from happiness or compassion for fictional characters.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5219 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 71 of 116
17 November 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I can barely believe what I'm reading here in this thread. The Canadian government, like every government in the world, must offer language training for its diplomats and employees posted abroad. The primary provider is the Canadian Foreign Service Institute. Here is their goal:

"The Canadian Foreign Service Institute (CFSI) is the primary training provider for Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT) and offers more than 150 learning activities."

As can be imagined, they have an extensive language training department in 44 lacguages. Are there people here at HTLAL who suggest that the CFSI would do better to scrap all those language classes, hand out Assimil courses and tell people to come back when they feel"fluent" in the language?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 72 of 116
17 November 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

As can be imagined, they have an extensive language training department in 44 lacguages.
Are there people here at HTLAL who suggest that the CFSI would do better to scrap all
those language classes, hand out Assimil courses and tell people to come back when they
feel"fluent" in the language?

Their goals are entirely different. If you need to drill someone at short notice to be
able to speak without needing any creativity, FSI methods will help.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version