Message 97 of 106
18 January 2012 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
IPA /ʉnʃyl/

ʉ - pronounced half-way between and , lips rounded slightly more than for ,
central, short, colse (high) vowel
German 'ü' [yː] is high,front,rounded vowel

y - like i in pin

I hope it helps :)

P.S. I have no idea why more than a half of this post is underlined.

Edited by Gosiak on 18 January 2012 at 3:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

Chevalier
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4517 days ago

53 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 98 of 106
19 January 2012 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
I read all the thread but I didn't find much about what I'm looking for.

I also can't pronounce "months". I can pronounce "thick, "thud", but this 'ths' is just impossible for me. How do native speakers pronounce that?

A guy said that "mons" is ok. What is the general (or at least the most common) pronunciation for that in American/British English? (months).

Carisma
Diglot
Argentina
Joined 5432 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 99 of 106
19 January 2012 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
Many people say I sound German when I speak Spanish.
And I don't know whether to take it as an insult because it's my native language and I
should be able to speak it like a pro, or as a compliment because I am so into languages
that you can tell that by hearing me speak my own language.
It's probably because I overpronounce everything and use really weird words, and never
swear (in Argentina, 2 out of 5 words people utter are swearing).
And in English, my pronunciation either shows that I am non-native or I overdo everything
and end up sounding way too artificial.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6247 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 100 of 106
19 January 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Chevalier wrote:

I also can't pronounce "months". I can pronounce "thick, "thud", but this 'ths' is just impossible for me. How do native speakers pronounce that?

A guy said that "mons" is ok. What is the general (or at least the most common) pronunciation for that in American/British English? (months).

When I say "ths", I put my the tip of my tongue between my teeth (to make the hard "th" sound), and then as I exhale, I quickly pull my tongue back and hiss.

Try saying the English word "thistle" (pronounced "thissel" with a hard "th" like in "thing"). It has the "ths" separated by a short "i." And then say it really quickly. Say it so quickly that the short i vowel becomes whispered. Then say it without it: Thssle. Then drop the second syllable: thss.

Then put a "mon" in front of it: months :)

If you can't pronounce it correctly, saying "munts" is acceptable.

In fact, I would go so far as to say a good number of native American English speakers do not pronounce the "th" in "months," anyway. In fast (casual) speech, the "th" is very subtle and practically indistinguishable from "munts".

British English may differ.
2 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4511 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 101 of 106
19 January 2012 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
I always found it kind of cute when language learners cursed in German in front of me. Especially when the pronunciation is off, and Scheiße comes out like "Seisse". Kinda takes away all the negativity and makes me smile ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

markbenjamin
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6084 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: German, English*, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 102 of 106
19 January 2012 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
I went to the a passport office or somewhere in Zürich to register and (speaking German) the lady put down the
papers, and smiled, and said "It is so wonderful to see someone French like you, whose parents took such effort to
ensure you speak perfect German." I did learn French before German but had no idea that I had a french accent in
German. Ever since I have been paranoid about sounding French for some reason. Although apparently it sounds as
charming as when a French person speaks English with a nice accent?

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4712 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 103 of 106
23 January 2012 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
I sound so Spanish when I try to speak French. I roll my r instead of doing the throat
thing. I can manage the throat g in Arabic, but not the French r...

Isn't a trilled r (like in Spanish) a regional accent in French?

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5068 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 104 of 106
25 January 2012 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
Chevalier wrote:

I also can't pronounce "months". I can pronounce "thick, "thud", but this 'ths' is just impossible for me. How do
native speakers pronounce that?

A guy said that "mons" is ok. What is the general (or at least the most common) pronunciation for that in
American/British English? (months).

Personally, I say it like "monts," but I put my tongue on the back of my teeth for the 't' part. So it's like my
mouth thinks I am saying 'th' but it actually comes out as 't'. I am American, by the way.

And I know people have said this already, but in regards to Solfrid Cristin's post, I have also heard people say
the "thr" combination like that. I don't know where all of them were from, but I can remember one in particular
and they are from California. That's where I am from, too, but I don't say it like that. The person I am thinking
of is from a place where they have a different accent than most of the rest of the state. So basically, unless
you are saying it with an actual rolled r and not just a tap, it's fine. :)

This discussion contains 106 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version