296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 9 of 106
10 January 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
anamsc wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

There is however one mistake I make consistently - but only in some words - that irritate me so much I could kick myself, but I can't get rid of it.

Generally I pronounce the letter "r" in an American way, but in a few particular words it comes out like Scottish rolled "r". It happens specifically in the words

-Cathrine
-through
-three

I remember it started with me saying "Cathrine of Aragon", where I got it into my head that Cathrine should be with a rolled "r" since she was Spanish. I still pronounce Aragon with a regular "r", which does not make a lot of sense.

Do any of you others have any mistakes you cannot get rid of, or any advice on how to get rid of it?

It probably wouldn't be a big deal, if it hadn't been for the fact that my daughter's name is Cathrine. And she gets REALLY mad at me for mispronouncing her name.

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but many many native English speakers where I am from (including myself) do the same thing. It is quite common in my home state to pronounce /r/ as a tap after a "th" sound -- and we definitely don't roll our "r"s any other time! So you can tell yourself it's not really an error, just a different dialect.

You just made my day!!! Now if you could also tell me in which state/states they do that, I'll fall asleep with a smile.

I'm glad to make you happy with this information! I know that people do it in California; I don't know about other states though.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6392 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 106
10 January 2012 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Some Cantonese words I learned while living in Foshan I say with a Mainland accent, while I usually use a Hong Kong
accent. The Mainland accent has a seventh tone that has disappeared from the Hong Kong accent, so adding it in in
a few words sounds a bit weird, but if I don't concentrate, it's what comes out My girlfriend finds it funny
sometimes.

In English I'm never satisfied with the way I say "printer". With a British accent it's easy, but using that would
contrast with my otherwise very American accent. The 'nt' combination feels weird in my American accent, though
some people have said it sounds perfectly alright.

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 11 of 106
10 January 2012 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I have a difficult time with the English sound "tr" as in "truck", sometimes I pronounce the "t" as a hard "ch" making the word sound something like "cheruck".

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 12 of 106
11 January 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
I don't like when foreign learners of English neglect voiced consonants in English:

so they pronounce

OF with [f], instead [v]
MUSIC with [s], instead of [z]
NOISE with [s], instead of [z]
NOSE with [s], instead of [z]
and so on...

Please learn these sounds

[s] ssss the sound snakes make
[z] zzz the sound bees make

LOOSE [s]
LOSE [z]

''Children lose [z] loose [s] teeth.''

;)

Edited by Camundonguinho on 11 January 2012 at 12:40am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 106
11 January 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
July wrote:
I can't roll my r in Spanish words like 'sonrisa'. They tell me that the r should be
rolled after an n inside a word, but I just can't seem to do it without hesitating or
letting the n disappear.

Argh! I didn't realise I was pronouncing that wrong.

Oh well, something else to practise then....

One thing that bugs me in Gaelic is when I pronounce a BH or MH as a strong English-V-like sound. It's a habit that all classes seem to teach, despite most dialects having a softer sound somewhere between U, V and W (there's a reason that they got bundled together when they made up the Latin-script alphabet!!!)

I also find my French nasals too "heavy" -- it feels to me like I'm trying to eject a brick through each nostril....

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5377 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 14 of 106
11 January 2012 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
anamsc wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
anamsc wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

There is however one mistake I make consistently - but only in some words - that irritate me so much I could kick myself, but I can't get rid of it.

Generally I pronounce the letter "r" in an American way, but in a few particular words it comes out like Scottish rolled "r". It happens specifically in the words

-Cathrine
-through
-three

I remember it started with me saying "Cathrine of Aragon", where I got it into my head that Cathrine should be with a rolled "r" since she was Spanish. I still pronounce Aragon with a regular "r", which does not make a lot of sense.

Do any of you others have any mistakes you cannot get rid of, or any advice on how to get rid of it?

It probably wouldn't be a big deal, if it hadn't been for the fact that my daughter's name is Cathrine. And she gets REALLY mad at me for mispronouncing her name.

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but many many native English speakers where I am from (including myself) do the same thing. It is quite common in my home state to pronounce /r/ as a tap after a "th" sound -- and we definitely don't roll our "r"s any other time! So you can tell yourself it's not really an error, just a different dialect.

You just made my day!!! Now if you could also tell me in which state/states they do that, I'll fall asleep with a smile.

I'm glad to make you happy with this information! I know that people do it in California; I don't know about other states though.

Some people do it here in New York too.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6247 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 15 of 106
11 January 2012 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
July wrote:
I can't roll my r in Spanish words like 'sonrisa'. They tell me that the r should be
rolled after an n inside a word, but I just can't seem to do it without hesitating or
letting the n disappear.

I have a similar issue in Japanese when an R follows an N.

Oddly enough, I can pronounce "kanrinin" (manager) decently because I've heard it so much in the anime "Maison Ikkou" (where they all call Kyoko "kanrinin-san"), but pretty much any other words I cannot say it right.

Actually, a rolled/flapped R following an N in any language is tough for me to say. I cannot say that Spanish word you posted.

I cannot pronounce (or hear) the subtle differences between multiple versions of the same consonants in Korean (g/k/k', s/ss, d/t/t', j/ch/ch', b/p/p'). Also, half the time Korean M's sound like B's and vice versa, and D's sound like N's, and also vice versa. For example, for a while I thought the Korean word for weather was "dal-si". That's how I heard it, and that's how I pronounced it. When I finally saw it written, it was actually "nal-ssi." So I had incorrectly heard the "N" as a "D," and I had incorrectly heard the "ss" as an "s."

I also heard a Korean kid practicing English once, and he was saying "my dame is..." instead of "my name is...", or at least that's how it sounded to me.

Back to Spanish: I have a pretty terrible accent on anything I saw in Spanish.

Edited by IronFist on 11 January 2012 at 7:01am

IronFist
United States
Joined 6247 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 16 of 106
11 January 2012 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
In English I'm never satisfied with the way I say "printer". With a British accent it's easy, but using that would
contrast with my otherwise very American accent. The 'nt' combination feels weird in my American accent, though
some people have said it sounds perfectly alright.

If you speak quickly enough with an American accent, you can say "prinner" and no one will know the difference.

If I had a microphone I would upload an example.

This discussion contains 106 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version