United States
Joined 6247 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 17 of 106
11 January 2012 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
And I am now not asking for other people's mistakes - but your own :-)

My English is fairly good, and allthough it is definitely not a native accent, I generally get positive feed back on it. The major mistakes I did as a young girl I have managed to get rid of (I think my sister corrected me 2000 times for saying "A lot off - with an f - in stead of "A lot of" - with a v).

There is however one mistake I make consistently - but only in some words - that irritate me so much I could kick myself, but I can't get rid of it.

Generally I pronounce the letter "r" in an American way, but in a few particular words it comes out like Scottish rolled "r". It happens specifically in the words

-Cathrine
-through
-three

I remember it started with me saying "Cathrine of Aragon", where I got it into my head that Cathrine should be with a rolled "r" since she was Spanish. I still pronounce Aragon with a regular "r", which does not make a lot of sense.

Do any of you others have any mistakes you cannot get rid of, or any advice on how to get rid of it?

It probably wouldn't be a big deal, if it hadn't been for the fact that my daughter's name is Cathrine. And she gets REALLY mad at me for mispronouncing her name.

I'm a native American English speaker and occasionally I flap an "R" when saying it after a "th." As was pointed out in the thread, this is fine. I notice other people do it, too. The path your tongue follows from the "th" to the "r" sometimes results in a flap. I don't even think people notice, as long as it's not rolled. If you say "thrrrrrough" with a rolled R, people will notice that it sounds different. But "through" with a flap R = just fine :)

mick33 wrote:
I have a difficult time with the English sound "tr" as in "truck", sometimes I pronounce the "t" as a hard "ch" making the word sound something like "cheruck".

I remember there was a discussion about this before in another thread a few years ago.

In (American) English, initial "tr" is basically the same as "chr."

Truck = Chruck.

Tree = Chree

Initial "dr" = "jr"

Drunk = jrunk

I realized this one day when a girl in my class asked how to spell "drunk." Someone told her. She replied "oh, I thought it started with a 'J'."

Edited by IronFist on 11 January 2012 at 7:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 106
11 January 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Camundonguinho wrote:
I don't like when foreign learners of English neglect voiced consonants in English:

so they pronounce

OF with [f], instead [v]
MUSIC with [s], instead of [z]
NOISE with [s], instead of [z]
NOSE with [s], instead of [z]
and so on...

Please learn these sounds

[s] ssss the sound snakes make
[z] zzz the sound bees make

LOOSE [s]
LOSE [z]

''Children lose [z] loose [s] teeth.''

;)

HEY! This is cheating. You were supposed to bring your own mistakes to the ball, not somebody else's. But I now learned I make another mistake. I pronounce nose with an s, because with a z it sounds like knows. Oh well, another thing to learn.
4 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 19 of 106
11 January 2012 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Nothing specific comes to mind, it just annoys me that I have a pretty good understanding of how French pronunciation works, how the individual sounds were made, and how it should all sound, yet I often still get it wrong and even occasionally make classic Anglophone mistakes that annoy me when other people make them, like saying /ɪ/ instead of /i/ in a word that's the same in both languages. And my voice just doesn't have that, well, French quality to it which I can't quite explain. Normally I'm the first person to say that anybody can learn any skill with enough consistent, quality work, but I've mostly accepted that I just don't have an ear for pronunciation (or more accurately I don't have a good mouth for reproducing pronunciation, since I can "hear" it in my head no problem), and while after a ton of work on it my French accent is just about good enough to be understood and should hopefully keep improving with work and practice, I'll never sound French.

Edited by garyb on 11 January 2012 at 11:44am

Lightning
Groupie
United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5148 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 20 of 106
11 January 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Definitely "r" and that special "n" noise when it sort of becomes an "m" in Japanese. (sorry for the lack of technical language, it's something I picked up rather than actively studied) I'll say a word, and I'll hear myself pronouncing it wrong. It's very fustrating.

Edited by Lightning on 11 January 2012 at 4:06pm

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5145 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 21 of 106
11 January 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
In French, I hate the words regarder and demander because while they
sound alright when I pronounce them separately, I can never get them right in a
sentence, especially when I'm speaking quickly.

Something that still gives me trouble in English sometimes is when there are too many
d's or th's close to each other. I also detest the word idea because the last vowel is
so annoying. The worst is that I'm pretty sure I pronounced it correctly without any
trouble before I started worrying about it but now I can't say it without thinking
about it and that means I usually get it wrong. Other words I hate are rural and
brewery. Too many r's too close to each other! The first one is especially troublesome
and it usually comes out as wuwal.    

Edit: I thought of another one; I don't usually have any problems with the American L
but sometimes when I suddenly have to switch to English, I can't get the L right and it
comes out sounding like a Dutch one. Of course, this only happens when I'm talking to
native speakers or someone who wants to hear my accent. That's a problem in general; I
can hear myself suddenly getting a Dutch accent when I'm nervous.

Edited by ReneeMona on 11 January 2012 at 4:37pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 22 of 106
11 January 2012 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Even when I was an English teacher trainee, I've never been formally taught a lot of English phonetics, to the point that you could say 95% of my current knowledge of the subject stems from the general and Spanish-specific phonetics I was taught at high school and my own research. All of these years I was playing by ear and, as you should expect from non-native speakers, I got some notes wrong.

The most poignant example is /ʒ/ (the sound of 's' in 'usual' or 'vision') of which existence no less I was blissfully unaware of, even after becoming a certified teacher. I say poignant because it doesn't just say how limited my English can be even today but how generally bad professional TEFL training is (if they don't start by making sure you know the subject all hollow...).

So, I always replaced the /ʒ/ in every word with /z/ or /ʃ/ (in my defense I hope you agree they are reasonably close alternatives) and I figured 'real' English speakers pronounced them one way or another depending on their regional pronunciation variants and I just must be 'hearing things' from time to time. Then, some years ago, I heard some actor say something with a sound unmistakeably between /z/ and /ʃ/. I played the scene over and over and over and over and finally I concluded that there must be another 'official' English sound (phoneme) that I had ignored all along. I checked and bingo! Just as /s/ becomes /z/ through voicing, /ʃ/ becomes /ʒ/, which is an English phoneme. My use of /z/ instead of /s/ for intervocalic s had also been quite erratic until that moment (generally good I guess but surely not there yet).

For a while I was really outraged that nobody (teachers, friends, exchange partners, trainers...) had ever pointed that out to me and praised how good my English was instead; on the bright side I became aware of and fixed something really non-trivial and years of neglect all on my own, which somehow meant I didn't suck so badly. If there ever was an epiphany moment...

Since that moment, I always bone up on any TL phonology and phonetics beforehand. It just takes so little effort while making everything so much easier from the start. Remember, kids: always spend a day or two becoming familiar with all the things you'll have to face, or any of them may take you years for no reason at all.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 23 of 106
11 January 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:

In (American) English, initial "tr" is basically the same as "chr."

Truck = Chruck.

Tree = Chree

Initial "dr" = "jr"

Drunk = jrunk

Maybe in some parts of the US, but not all. I certainly don't ever remember learning or pronouncing those words like that.

R.
==

FELlX
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4580 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 24 of 106
11 January 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
ReQuest wrote:
I can't pronounce "months", month is fine but, as soon as the "s" comes after the θ, (th, thin), it's impossible the "th" never really gives me problems but in months or mouths, I just have to pause between th and s.

I believe people tend to pronounce it like "mons" or at least drop the θ sound (/mʌns/ or /mʌnts/), at least not formally.

ReQuest wrote:

I also have a tendence to stress English.words on the wrong syllable, really annoying. (attorney par example)

You have no idea how painful it is for someone who learnt the notion of syllabe stressing while learning English (as L2+) ;)

This discussion contains 106 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version