106 messages over 14 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 13 14 Next >>
LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4509 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 49 of 106
13 January 2012 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
I think you are both wrong. The first sound in "tree" is neither "t" or "ch". In English, it's usually an allophone of "t", but for IronFist it seems to be an allophone of "ch".
1 person has voted this message useful

SueK
Groupie
United States
Joined 4561 days ago

77 posts - 133 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 50 of 106
13 January 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
On the tree / chree debate.... I mentioned it my husband, who thought, said tree a few times and was surprised to agree that he does in fact say chree.

I, on the other hand, have a distinct t sound at the beggining of my pronunciation, though I can appreciate how someone would hear the ch sound in there.

I'm learning Mandarin via Pimsleur and the word for eat is chi1. However, I was confused when learning at first as when the speaker used the word in context, it sounded like he was saying tree!

I've just started FSI Tones and Pronunciation and they say the Mandarin ch sound is made by putting your mouth in the r position to make the ch sound, resulting in something in betweeen. For me, this clarifies why in slow pronunciation mode, Pimsleur instructed me 'chi1' and in usage, it sounded 'tree'.

Perhaps we have a similar mixed sound in English?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 51 of 106
13 January 2012 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
My students complain quite often that English pronunciation is rather unclear. Interestingly enough, they don't believe me when I tell them that it's pretty much the same for natives and illustrate it with stories like this whole than/then jrunk/drunk chree/tree somefink/something thing, and I usually need to point out pronunciation-based spelling mistakes in their own language. These are actually less abundant which is kind of proof they're right, just like this debate here.

Of course if one guy just 'hears things', like I thought I did, it's probably him not hearing well; but if so many people hear the same 'things', it's probably true that at least some native speakers pronounce things 'the wrong way'. This in turn probably stems from their mishearing them in the first place and never being 'corrected'. But I think we already went over that in some other thread.

OTOH, I think foreign speakers will feel rather reassured actually seeing (rather than being told about) natives make the same kind of mistakes / mishear the same things as them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 52 of 106
13 January 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Such "unclear" pronunciation is typical for every language.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 53 of 106
13 January 2012 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
If it's present in every language then it isn't typical of any of them.

Anyway, I think pronunciation clarity should be linked to the number of phonemes in a language and how different they are. For example, no Spanish vowel can be mistaken for another one except maybe in certain accents; OTOH some English vowels are generally more prone to be mixed up even by natives, for example /æ/ and /e/.

Edited by mrwarper on 14 January 2012 at 12:46am

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 54 of 106
13 January 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
I heard /æ/ pronounced as /a/.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 55 of 106
14 January 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Of course. In English, the called cardinal vowels /a/ and /e/ are as unlikely to be confused as they are in Spanish or Russian, but the intermediate /æ/ is used at the same time and that's a different story. You see people mistaking /æ/ as either /a/ or /e/ all the time; i.e. 'than' for 'then', or <damn, I can't think of a common example of what you say right now>.

Vowels can be represented in a relatively simple coordinate system (jaw more or less open, lips more or less rounded, front or back position of the tongue, ...), with each vowel covering a region of the possible coordinate space, which is obviously limited. The more vowels you fit inside this space the closer their regions must be, and the higher the probability that a neighbouring vowel is heard instead of any given one. This is because even if different speakers aimed to produce the exact same vowels, we don't pronounce nor hear perfectly all the time.

Something similar could be said about consonants, but the analysis would be much more complex because of the many more parameters that can be used to define them.

Edited by mrwarper on 14 January 2012 at 12:47am

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 56 of 106
14 January 2012 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
My students complain quite often that English pronunciation is rather unclear.

Spanish pronunciation is also very unclear.

In Spain, many people
pronounce the diphthong UE as OU or O:

pues [pos]
luego ['luoɣo]

Furthermore, many Spaniards pronounce Spanish CH similar to Italian ZZ (as in pizza) and different than CH in English cheese, choke, chill:

chico ['tsiko]

These new pronunciations seem to be preferred by younger speakers in normal- and fast-paced spontaneous speech, and it's so different from what we've been taught!

When I was in Madrid, I seemed to be the only person who pronounced HASTA LUEGO as it should be ['asta 'lueɣo].
All Madrileños pronounced it as
[astaluoɣo], that is: as if it were spelled HASTA LUOGO. :(

(My Mexican friend also heard this as HASTA LUOGO.)

Someone has already made a page on this:
http://ladodealla.blogspot.com/2007/10/hasta-luogo.html

Edited by Camundonguinho on 14 January 2012 at 2:06am

This discussion contains 106 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version