Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
106 messages over 14 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 13 14 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4945 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 41 of 106
12 January 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:

The first 3 were "jr" sounds.
Those were all distinctly "chree."

It comes down to differences in what we hear. Of the first three, I would argue that only the second contains a "jr" sound. I didn't hear "chree" at all in the second set of samples.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

IronFist
United States
Joined 6252 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 42 of 106
Oh! I just thought of another one.

I hear a lot of people pronounce "I'm" with an N rather than an M. So like "mine" without the M.

"I'n gonna call my friend."

I hear that a LOT. I first noticed it in middle school from my friend who just moved to the Chicago suburbs from southern California. Then I started noticing everyone say it.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5826 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 43 of 106
Peedie wrote:
Try www.forvo.com to settle the debate. Here is the "drink" link vs tree.

Forvo isn't going to settle the debate, because we're just going to argue over what we hear. One of the problems is that we don't hear objectively anyway.

I've logged into the Oxford English Dictionary and they've got no CH for "tree".

And no, the OED isn't UK English only, as evidenced by the pronunciation guide for "Nuclear":
Brit. /ˈnjuːklɪə/ , U.S. /ˈn(j)ukliər/

Edited by Cainntear on 12 January 2012 at 11:26pm

IronFist
United States
Joined 6252 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 

Message 44 of 106
12 January 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Oh, one that drives me nuts is when people say "pitcher" when they mean "picture."

"Hey, here's my camera. Can you take a pitcher of me?"

DRIVES ME NUTS.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6252 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 

Message 45 of 106
12 January 2012 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Peedie wrote:
Try www.forvo.com to settle the debate. Here is the "drink" link vs tree.

I've logged into the Oxford English Dictionary and they've got no CH for "tree".

And no, the OED isn't UK English only, as evidenced by the pronunciation guide for "Nuclear":
Brit. /ˈnjuːklɪə/ , U.S. /ˈn(j)ukliər/

I don't care what the dictionary says. I know what I hear every day of my life :)

I've never heard anyone say "trrr-eee" in the front of their mouth (unless they're doing an imitation of a French accent).

For those of you who don't believe that "tree" is pronounced "chree," can you upload a recording of yourself pronouncing it each way? I want to hear what you think I'm missing.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4945 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 46 of 106
12 January 2012 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:

For those of you who don't believe that "tree" is pronounced "chree," can you upload a recording of yourself pronouncing it each way? I want to hear what you think I'm missing.

I've already mentioned the difference in what I hear with the forvo samples. If you can't accept that we hear them differently, you're probably not going to hear anyone else's pronunciation differently either.

R.
==

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5826 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 47 of 106
12 January 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
I don't care what the dictionary says.

The dictionary is based on academic observation; studies using x-rays of mouths and frequency analysis of phonemes. It's a far more objective measure than an individual opinion.

Quote:

That would be a pointless task, as we'd only invoke the observer's paradox. If I say something consciously trying to demonstrate a particular point, how do we know whether I've pronounced it naturally or not?

When I was wee, and I was told that -or and -er were pronounced the same (eg doctor, driver), I would say them differently... but only because I was trying to.

Edited by Cainntear on 12 January 2012 at 11:34pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5826 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 48 of 106
12 January 2012 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
IronFist wrote:
On a related note, it sounds to me like British English changes an initial "tu" to "chu"? For example, "tune" becomes "choon" (chune). "Tuna" becomes "chuna." YouTube becomes "YouChube." I thought of this when I was just watching something on VH1 and a British guy was talking about a music video on "youchube."

This is a fairly predictable phonetic change.

In Gaelic, a palatised T sounds similar to CH. The sound change you mention only occurs before a y-glide /ju/. This compares fairly well to what happens with some of the Eastern European language which has a "slenderising" of "palatising" marker.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 106 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version