Diglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 225 of 568
04 June 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, "university of applied sciences" is quite misleading. Though some visual art makers
might like to think of their work as scientific research of a sort. (Debatable.) "Higher
vocational education" is much closer, but in the United States it would have a strong
connotation of advanced plumbing school or something of the sort.

"College" is what I might use. I think I'll probably pass on the program though, so the
specific terminology won't be a problem for long.

Haha, always a bit harsh on your countrymen, Tarvos. :P
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 226 of 568
04 June 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
It's not them that choose the poor terminology, it's the government and the educational
institutions. But this kind of thinking is why I absolutely hate it when Dutch
institutions do the translating; they do not take into account what actual counterparts
exist in UK/US terminology. If you are translating something to English (if you really
feel a need for a general translation of something as specific as the Dutch educational
system, which is just simply completely alien when you think of how to frame it in US
terms) at least use a worldwide term or something that actually can be accurately
represented by a term used in the anglophone world.

It's an attempt to sound anglophone that has nothing to do with sounding anglophone at
all. That's a pet peeve of mine; oh, the joys of being raised to speak English
properly...

Edited by tarvos on 04 June 2013 at 7:41pm

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 227 of 568
05 June 2013 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Well yeah, it's sort of hopeless to convey the full complexity of the Dutch educational
system through the names of the various institutions that make it up. The idea of
schools being organized in a meritocratic manner is itself pretty foreign to the United
States (can't speak for all Anglophone countries). I remember being shocked at first
that application access to universities and hogescholen was restricted by what degree
of high school you attended. There were impassioned debates about it and everything. :P

Buut that's quite another topic. I find the most succinct way to explain is that there
are three types of Dutch high schools, organized by aptitude. Only the highest two
degrees do college, and the highest degree can go to university. I don't know if this
is clear enough but that's probably already too much information for most people.

Anyway. Today I read pages 11-24 (it starts on page 11) of Tirza by Arnon
Grunberg. This is the third book by my count that I've started in the last semester -
and I haven't finished the other two yet - but screw it; in the immortal words of Bon
Jovi, it's my life. I will start and finish books as I please.

I've just been circling some unknown words and phrases as I go. My comprehension in
this book is great compared to other works - Grunberg writes relatively plainly. Still,
there are 2-3 words per page that significantly impede my understanding of the sentence
by virtue of their opacity.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 228 of 568
10 June 2013 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Up to page 35 in Tirza. The other book I'm reading right now is Foucault's
Discipline and Punish (since this is a language learning forum, I should clarify
that this is not the French original), and together with Tirza they're a
pretty uplifting pair. One book about an estranged mother returning home to her child
after taking off for three years, the other about the development of the modern prison
and the movement of punishment from an external application to a process of inner
rehabilitation. Both fairly gruesome, but that's kind of what I like from my summer
reading. Like, not even joking here.

Discipline and Punish is the first English-language book that I've read for
pleasure in the past year and a half, and it's just crazy how fast it flies compared to
Dutch novels. I don't know, it really highlights to me how far I have to go with Dutch
before it's as natural to me as English.

Honestly, I've become a bit frustrated with Dutch lately. Speaking-wise, I think I
really improved over the month that I was able to practice Dutch on a daily basis
(incidental to the gift of the speaker's lovely company). Now that that's not
available, though, I can just feel my speaking abilities starting to stagnate. Ugh. But
does that even matter? I was reading the "Fluency overrated/ B1-B2 enough for most"
thread in the General Discussion and really reflecting on this. Sure, B2 (where I still
think I sit right now) isn't as eloquent as I would like. But maybe, for my purposes
right now, it's enough to maintain it.

Meh. Ook weet ik dat ik hier in het Nederlands moet schrijven. Beter zo. Ik vraag me
maar af: als ik actieve vaardigheden niet nodig heb, is het dan toch nodig om spreken
en zo te oefenen? Is het dan niet genoeg om Nederlands goed te lezen en verstaan? Of is
het allemaal een soort opgeven, wat ik natuurlijk niet wil? Misschien moet ik maar
doorgaan, dan komt alles wel goed.

Het is alleen maar moeilijk om (nu) jaren te besteden met een taal en om te beseffen
dat je niet echt ver van je vertrekspunt bent. Of zo voel ik me. Mrghhh.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 229 of 568
10 June 2013 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Doorgaan moet je sowieso, en je doet het nog steeds prima hoor.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 230 of 568
17 June 2013 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
Bedankt Tarvos. Het spijt me dat een derde van mijn log klagen is. Leuk om je eigen log
te lezen, trouwens. :P

So I'm on page 84 of Tirza. The story's getting, uh, spicier as we get along,
and also easier to read. Pretty sweet.

Tirza's a pretty thick book (a bit over 400 pages), so the experience makes a
natural parallel to Bonita Avenue from last summer, which was of a similar
length. I notice that, while reading at a very similar pace, I can understand much more
of the novel with greater and greater clarity. With Bonita Avenue I was still
able to understand the main flow of the storyline without much difficulty, but there
were definitely whole passages of action that were pretty confusing. With Tirza
I feel like I'm understanding the story in a much more nuanced way. Not really missing
out as much.

So I guess as a counterpoint to my last entry, it does get better. Yay.

By the way, I can't find if I mentioned this before on this blog, but I find that
recording how long I read every day seems to encourage me to read more. I've been
keeping a little log on my phone since June 4 and I feel like I've become significantly
more aware of my own process (and progress) in that time.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 231 of 568
18 June 2013 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Okay, so I'm on page 155 of Tirza now. The book is getting so crazy my eyes are
practically glued to the page. I honestly have no idea what the remaining 300 pages could
possibly contain because he's already squeezed in marital infidelity, wayward daughters,
deep, existential sadness, racial and socioeconomic tension, disastrous sex, and
Schiphol. What is even left?

I also (text) chatted a wee bit in Dutch today, which was nice.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 232 of 568
19 June 2013 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Tirza pagina 210. Het boek wordt steeds leuker en wat mij betreft was het al bijzonder leuk. De
spanning is ondraagelijk. In principe zitten we in het midden van een feest maar het feestje speelt zich
ondraagelijk langzaam af gezien dat er elke halfuur een nieuwe nachtmerrie uit de verleden tijd wordt
hersteld. Verder komt het geeërde kind, Tirza, echt veel te laat.

Ik probeer deze zomer om gezonde gewoonten te ontwikkelen. Eén van deze gezonde gewoonten is om mijn
Nederlandstalige boekje nog altijd bij me te hebben. Ik werk nu voorlopig in Washington, D.C. en elke
ochtend moet ik een anderhalf uur reizen per trein naar de stad (en nog een anderhalf uur terug 's avonds,
natuurlijk). Zeker bestaat er geen beter tijd om boeken te lezen, vooral als er te veel mensen om je heen zijn,
lees maar een prachtige roman en ontsnap ze!

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version