Diglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 537 of 568
20 March 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Ja, Voetnoot is eigenlijk een verzameling van zijn columns op de voorpagina. Heel goed zeg.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 538 of 568
22 April 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Al heb ik hier al lang niet geschreven, ben ik nog steeds goed bezig met lezen en zo.

Het weer wordt steeds beter hier en de zon schijnt. Ik vind het moeilijk om binnen te blijven. Ik ben onlangs een
vrijwilliger geworden, daar besteed ik veel 'vrije tijd' mee. Meestal ga ik naar bejaardentehuizen om spelletjes met
de bewoners te spelen.

Zelfs bejaarde mensen hebben wat lol nodig.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5362 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 539 of 568
03 May 2014 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Wat lief van je Hekje. Waar heeft je naar die beslissing genomen om vrijwilliger te worden? Wat voor spelletjes speel
je met ze? Zit je inmiddels iets goeds te lezen?

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 540 of 568
08 August 2014 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
Ik leef nog

Well, life got interesting for a few months there. I left my job and started
freelancing full-time; I moved; and I actually ended up traveling, to the Galápagos and
California.

I've wanted to do all of these things for a long time, and then they suddenly happened
all at once. I was over the moon! Life was also insane. Obviously things have
settled down now, which gives me time to think about languages for the first time in
forever. I haven't really studied since April. There are some Dutch-language things I
do every day automatically, but other than that -- not much.

It actually feels fine. I would have beat myself up about it earlier this year, but
taking a break has given me some perspective on everything. The only thing I regret is
not being with Team Oranje as much I would like. Other than that, I feel like some time
away was much needed.

With that in mind, I'm back for the moment, just probably in a more relaxed capacity
than before. Hi/hallo/bonjour/selamat pagi.

Random language thoughts and updates

Dutch -- Dutch is stable at B2-ish. It's the only language I'm pretty much
locked into doing things in on a daily basis -- news, music, social media, and so on.

Indonesian -- Indonesian has taken a hit. I've listened to some podcasts now and
then, but other than that, it's probably still languishing around A0-A1 or so.

French -- French is totally off the radar for the moment. However, it was
helpful with...

Spanish -- When we were in Ecuador, I was surprised by how much written Spanish
I could understand without having ever studied the language. Between just growing up in
the U.S. and recognizing French verbs, I could get the gist of a lot of text.

There were actually times when I could read something my brother, who actually took
Spanish in high school, couldn't. To be fair, he totally hated learning Spanish, so
it's no knock on his abilities. It was just cool to experience how having a background
in a couple languages can help you grasp the basics of a new one fast.

Spoken Spanish was a totally different animal, but I expected that.

Latvian -- Consider this one a fun bonus. Through a series of funny
circumstances, I ended up hanging out with a lot of Latvians this summer. There's a
slight chance I'll be visiting Latvia later in August, so I've looked over the basic
greetings and pronunciation. It's a nice-sounding language.

One fun thing I learned early on about Latvian is that male names -- first and last --
almost always end in "s" (e.g., Jānis Jansons, Edgars Pētersons, etc.). This is so they
can decline properly. Likewise, female names almost always end in "a", with few
exceptions.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 541 of 568
13 August 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Meeting Benny Lewis on his book tour

Oh my gah! Lemme take a selfie!

So a cool thing happened the other day -- I met Benny Lewis while he was in New York on
the 10th! He was promoting his book.

Much has been said about Benny's methods on this website, but for me, he was the spark
that got me into language learning. Way back in 2011, Benny's go-out-and-just-do-it
type attitude really inspired me to commit to Dutch and make it a part of my life. I
still admire his energy and enthusiasm for sharing language learning with others.

Anyway, so I hauled my butt to Greenpoint on Sunday. The event was in the basement of a
cute bookshop. I was about 20 minutes late -- Google Maps, I'm looking at you -- and
when I got there Benny was about a third of the way into a chapter-by-chapter rundown
of his book.

I haven't read the book yet, but it definitely seems to be geared for beginners. Most
of what Benny talked about was how to get into the right mindset, how to memorize
vocabulary, how to find ways to practice, etc. If you know Benny's methods, you know
he's an advocate of starting grammar only at the intermediate stage. Let's just say
that he mostly focused on how to get to that point.

So, the content wasn't new for me or pretty much most members of this forum. However,
it was great to see that these basic tips were actually very helpful for a majority of
the audience. I kind of expected it to be a 4 and 5+ language crowd, but I was probably
one of the more advanced people there in that I had already learned another language.
This made me wonder if anyone was actually going to take some of Benny's more advanced
advice, like hiring a tutor on iTalki, but at least he got them thinking about the
basic steps.

At the end of the talk, Benny gave us an opportunity to find other people in the room
learning our language. Unfortunately no one was learning Dutch, so I just bought his
book and got in line to meet him.

When I finally got to him, I felt the kind of excitement that I imagine a 12-year-old
girl in the '90's felt meeting the Backstreet Boys. (Hence my totally psyched, slightly
scared-looking expression in the photo above.) I asked Benny if we could speak Dutch
even though I know it's not one of his stronger languages. He agreed with my
assessment, but said that we could go ahead.

I explained in Dutch how much I loved the language and that I really appreciated him
learning it, even though it is such a small language relative to others. He kind of
nodded along and was like, "Oh, nice," in Dutch, but yeah, as he said, he clearly is a
bit rusty. It was still super cool and I don't blame him for not being able to perform
on the spot. We exchanged a few more pleasantries in English, he signed my book, and I
headed out.

Summary: Benny did a great job with his talk. Kudos to him! It was also definitely
interesting to be in a room with so many other language learners. I actually wish there
were more meetups like this in NYC -- sometimes it's just good to geek out.

Also, while in line, I met two lovely ladies my age who were learning Japanese and
German/Hebrew/Italian. I'm pretty sure neither of them are on HTLAL, but they've still
been chugging along on their own and making progress for 5+ years each. It's great to
see how many people, even outside of this forum, really love language learning and make
time for it. Yay!
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 542 of 568
14 August 2014 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
So I'm not the only person who does German/Hebrew/Italian apparently?

Sounds pretty cool. I was always in love with languages, but Benny was an inspiration to take it to the next level.

So if you're in New York, should we assume you're on board for the expected 2015 (nee 2014) polyglot conference
in NYC?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 543 of 568
14 August 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I felt the kind of excitement that I imagine a 12-year-old
girl in the '90's felt meeting the Backstreet Boys.

Dat had ik nou ook. Maar ik heb hem daarna nog een keer ontmoet in Berlijn, en ook wat
langer met hem gesproken. Ik snap sowieso niet waar alle haat tegenover Benny vandaan
komt - ik vind hem juist heel vriendelijk en open, ook als je langere discussies met
hem houdt.

Voor wat betreft zijn voordracht met betrekking tot het boek - die vind ik heel goed,
juist omdat zijn doelgroep de mensen zijn die nooit beginnen of die moeite hebben als
Engelstalige een vreemde taal te leren. Die mensen probeert hij meer te inspireren. Ook
wel mensen zoals jij en ik die al wat meer ervaring hebben. Hij is vooral heel goed
omdat hij twee voordelen heeft ten opzichte van andere schrijvers: 1) hij is een
uitstekende spreker in een publieke omgeving. Voor een presentatie is hoe je iets zegt
meer van belang dan wat je precies zegt, of in elk geval minstens zo belangrijk. (Dit
heb ik hem trouwens ook verteld). 2) Hij is een goed zakenman. Hij is vooral goed als
zakenman in de moderne internetwereld.

Wat betreft zijn Nederlands - ik heb het niet echt met hem gesproken, we hebben vooral
in het Engels en Frans gesproken (Engels vaak ook omdat Lauren erbij was). Ik kan niet
echt een oordeel vellen maar ik vind het ook niet zo interessant om de 10e taal van een
polyglot als case study te nemen. Je kunt beter als vergelijkingsmateriaal zijn Spaans
of Frans nemen - daar heeft hij echt vanaf nul moeten beginnen en zich omhoog moeten
werken.

Maar je had wel gelijk dat hij heel veel advies uit zijn boek herhaalt. Dat is voor
mensen die zijn blog goed kennen, zoals jij en ik, niet zo boeiend qua inhoud. Ik heb
daarom ook vooral op de presentatie gelet, omdat ik vind dat mensen daar ook veel van
hem kunnen leren.

Ik heb trouwens tijdens zijn lezing in Amsterdam specifiek vragen gesteld over hoe je
ingewikkeldere zaken aan kunt pakken als je al ver gevorderd bent. Hij heeft toen een
voorbeeld aangehaald van wat hij deed in het Frans. Het toeval wil dat we dezelfde
lerares Frans hebben ;)Ik heb dus dezelfde oefeningen gedaan als hij!

Edited by tarvos on 14 August 2014 at 6:59pm

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 544 of 568
14 August 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
So I'm not the only person who does German/Hebrew/Italian apparently?

Sounds pretty cool. I was always in love with languages, but Benny was an inspiration
to take it to the next level.

So if you're in New York, should we assume you're on board for the expected 2015 (nee
2014) polyglot conference in NYC?

Yes! You have a friend who lives in New York.

That's cool that Benny was motivating to you too. I feel like his site is so visible on
Google, a lot of us have stumbled across him early on probably.

I'm definitely in for the next Polyglot Conference if I'm still here! Actually, I was
looking forward to it happening this year, but when it switched to Novi Sad... haha, no
way I can make that. x_x

Can we count you in for New York too then? Are you on the east coast? :-)

tarvos wrote:
[/QUOT

(Excuse my mistakes please...)

Oh wat tof, ik wist niet dat je Benny had ontmoet! Wat leuk.

Ja, ik ben het met je eens. Benny is zeker niet perfect maar ik heb hem altijd heel
vriendelijk gevonden. Verder is het echt belangrijk dat hij beginners probeert te
inspireren. Ik en jij, wij gaan gewoon door met onze talen, maar er zijn veel mensen
die denken dat ze talen gewoon niet kunnen. Dus ze beginnen gewoon niet. Dat is jammer,
want talen zijn een van de niet vele vaardigheden die, zelfs als je beginner bent, nog
steeds nuttig kunnen zijn.

Ik merkte ook dat hij een uitstekende spreker is. Hij leek me een beetje moe, maar hij
deed nog steeds heel erg vriendelijk en zijn moppen waren redelijk grappig. Ik vind hem
een heel goed zakenman ook. In de laatste paar jaar doet hij steeds beter. Daar kan hij
echt trots op zijn.

Wat betreft zijn Nederlands - ja, ik vind het juist leuk omdat hij van plan is om
Nederlands meer te bestuderen. Nederlands is zo'n kleine taal (vergeleken met het
Spaans, enz.), zeldzaam kom ik medestudenten tegen. Het kan me dus niet schelen dat hij
zo'n klein accent of geen breed woordenschat heeft.

Ik kan echt niet geloven dat jullie dezelfde lerares Frans hebben. Small world hoor.
Wat heerlijk. :-)

This discussion contains 568 messages over 71 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version