russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 17 of 99
03 October 2012 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Course: O Novo Francês Sem Custo

Estimated Start Date: I'd like to start now ahahah but I'll wait until November 1st =)

Prior experience with this language: I'm taking a French "quick course" at university right now, but since the lessons are reaaaaaaaaally basic and it's a "quick course", by the end of it I'll have about 30~32 hours of study, which is not much.
Also, I already flirted with the Assimil course some years ago, but I did only about 2~3 lessons and gave up, I probably won't even remember it.

Any outside resources you might use: Only the "quick course" I'm taking, but it'll be over by the end of November. Maybe films as well.

Why you chose this language: I think French is a really beautiful language, and it's amongst the most spoken worldwide. I intend to do an "Eurotrip" in some years, and I want to be able to speak the country's language during it!

Personal Predictions: Well, I'm Brazilian, so most French sounds won't be a problem for me (except for the "u").
Besides that, I have an advanced knowledge of Italian, so I think it's gonna help me A LOT with both grammar and vocabulary.
I'm aiming for a B1+/B2- level, let's hope! =)

Other languages I'll do informally: I'll try to keep up with my Russian and Dutch studies.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 03 October 2012 at 4:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

Slothrop
American Samoa
Joined 4565 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Italian

Message 18 of 99
03 October 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Course: Russian with ease (2011 edition)

Estimated start date: ~November 20

Prior experience with this language: Online resources on the alphabet (namely, http://langintro.com/rintro/first.htm).

Any outside resources you might use: See above; also Anki, if I perceive the need, but only with vocabulary from the course.

Why you chose this language: Rich literature and cinema (if I can watch a silent movie and understand the intertitles at, say, the end of the passive wave, I'll be happy); I like how the language sounds, and I like the look of the written text.

Personal predictions: I expect it to be hard, but I'll follow strictly the method and see where it takes me. That part about the silent movie is half serious; but maybe I'll be able to watch Stalker without subtitles as well haha, and understand short Wikipedia articles about known subjects. My aim (for now) is just passive understanding.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 19 of 99
03 October 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Course: Le Suedois sans peine

Estimated start date: 1st November

Prior experience: approximately 5 hours of study, after that life got busy. I have
learnt the pronunciation with FSI and I did the first lesson of assimil, that is all.

Outside resources: Only a dictionary (for the cases when I can't understand either the
Swedish (based on similarities with English or German) or the French)

Why you chose this language: I've wanted to learn it for a long time. Great authors of
thrillers and detective stories, Abba :-) and I hope to discover more music bands
(preferably more rock or metal, but I'm not oposed to folk and other styles as well).

Personal Predictions: I want to do a really passive passive wave, which means only
reading, listening, repeating no active grammar study from other sources, no
scriptorium, no writing out the lessons, no srs. That will be very different from my
studies of other languages (my best previous attempt with assimil was German. I
couldn't resist writing everything and getting other and more traditional sources.) And
the active wave will be really active, translating to Swedish, writing things out,
using srs. Just without the outside grammar study. So, I suppose I will be at B1 with
my passive skills. I hope for A2 active skills. And I will know I can do something like
that every day, piece by piece for half a year, which will be more of an acomplishment
than the actual skills, I guess :-)

Other languages: I'll maintain the rest and probably actively study one or two of them,
if the time allows it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

melkior79
Japan
Joined 4419 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Latin, French

Message 20 of 99
04 October 2012 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Course: New French with Ease

Estimated Start Date: Around 12th of November

Prior experience with this language: Absolutely Nothing

Any outside resources you might use: Online dictionary.

Why you chose this language:Always wanted to learn a European language. Interested in French writers. Hoping to make the French Assimil Corpus accessible to me, particularly the Latin course. I want to go to Tahiti with my wife one day

Personal Predictions:
I have no predictions other than I will follow the Assimil directions and do between 30-45 minutes a day from November until the middle of May.

Edited by melkior79 on 04 October 2012 at 11:26am

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4309 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 22 of 99
05 October 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Course: Ungarisch ohne Mühe (Hungarian)

Estimated Start Date: probably November 15

Prior experience with this language: none

Any outside resources you might use: I'm likely to buy a grammar and I have a Hungarian colleague.

Why you chose this language: I had first thought of Dutch as it's relatively easy to learn but Germanic languages don't really fascinate me. Well, I plan to visit Hungary next year, like East Europe in general and want to learn a language from a different language family than my current target languages Spanish and Czech

Personal Predictions: I've never worked with Assimil and Hungarian is a completely unknown language to me, so it won't be easy. However, I'm curious how far the course will take me.

July
Diglot
Spain
Joined 5061 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2
Studies: French

Message 23 of 99
06 October 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Course: El frances sin esfuerzo.

Estimated Start Date: November 1st

Prior experience with this language: A beginners course exactly 10 years ago. I hope
that's not cheating too much - since it's not really a totally new language, but I
really can't remember anything much (anything remaining has been overwritten by
Spanish) and certainly can't make a sentence myself, so I'm certainly not more than A2.

Any outside resources you might use: Nothing I know of yet. We'll see. Maybe some TV.

Why you chose this language: That course ten years ago in Montreal was so much fun, I'd
love to go back to Quebec someday and be able to communicate well with everyone, and
I've finally reached a solid B2 in Spanish. Hopefully a little bit of French won't
damage my Spanish level too much at this point.

Personal Predictions: I'd love a B1 communicative level in French and to be able to
understand everything people say to me. I have a commute to work at the moment, so I
see myself spending about twenty or so minutes daily.

Edited by July on 06 October 2012 at 5:15pm

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5235 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 24 of 99
07 October 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Course: L'Egyptien

Estimated Start Date: November 5, 2012

Prior experience with this language: Years of buying secondhand Hieroglyphic books and not reading them. Did the first week of the course a month ago, then let it drop.

Any outside resources you might use: No.

Why you chose this language: I recently learned enough Sumerian to read simple building inscriptions. There's just something fascinating about ancient languages in unfamiliar characters. Also, a family friend brought back a papyrus with some text on it and I'm curious if it really says anything.

Personal Predictions: I actually did An Assimil Experiment with Alsatian some time ago. However, because I was around A2 in German, it wasn't a completely new language. Based on that experience, I'll start strong but end by staggering over the finish line.

This discussion contains 99 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version