Joined 6409 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 169 of 189
30 March 2013 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
suzukaze wrote:
I did collect quite a few links for Spanish back when I was at
university, but those texts are too easy for me now.

If you still have them, would you mind sharing? Easy is about the right level for me.
1 person has voted this message useful

WoofCreature
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4315 days ago

80 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 170 of 189
07 April 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Here's beginner challenge #1. This is my second challenge.
http://lang-8.com/463608/journals/25788284641489725694971354 0798015839844/Introdu%25C3%25A7%25C3%25A3o

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5745 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 171 of 189
17 April 2013 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

I'm on lesson 14 and so far no cerveza, which is probably a good thing because there haven't been any bathrooms either.

Yep, definitely want to nail down the bathroom situation in advance of las cervezas!

Emily96 wrote:

Spanky i assure you that you will find Spanish much easier to learn than french. I sure did.

Although I am just starting in earnest now, from the little Spanish I have looked at so far, I completely agree. Not just easier, but also way more fun.

For me, it is like Spanish comes with an implicit disclaimer: "¡Go ahead, have some fun! No one is going to beat you with a stick if you get it a bit wrong at first".

Which is a refreshing change from my French teacher back in high school, who explicitly promised to lay a beating on us for any egregious mistakes. (I think I am still carrying a lot of baggage with respect to French, for various reasons, but it remains my principal language of interest.)

I am finding pronunciation to be a snap, particulary compared to French. Like the Adminstrator notes in his languages page for Spanish, it “has the most logical spelling you can find. You speak like you write and you write like you speak” and it is the “gold standard of user-friendly orthography.”

Unlike the French “r” which continues to torment me, I am rolling my Spanish “rrrrrs” like a mad man, with manic energy and far too much enthusiasm. I will likely get slapped for it when in México.

Edited by Spanky on 17 April 2013 at 7:00pm

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4217 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 172 of 189
19 April 2013 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
oh spanky. you make me laugh =)

Good job on the challenge woof creature! Soon i'll actually be able to understand it all. Today was the first day of my
portuguese one week challenge. here's the link if anyone feels like checking it out:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=35686&PN=1&TPN=5

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4260 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 173 of 189
25 April 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Okay, so I am rebooting my attempts to language learning. The reasons that made me drop earlier are still present so I am not sure if I can stick with it but I will try. For the moment, I am focusing on Esperanto but I plan to add Spanish in the mix in a few weeks.

I am not sure whether I should mention the challenges I do in Esperanto here.

If yes, my """essay""" of the week (posted on my log) contained :
1.five sentences introducing myself
2.three sentences my sister
5.the languages I speak and learn
40. the languages I am thinking of studying next and the reasons why.

I also sent messages to tons of people asking if they would be my language exchange partner and help me with my Esperanto so I have done number 34. I did number 46 as part of my lessons on lernu. I actually did number 50 while chatting with someone on Skype, he found it amusing to see me get up to go look through the window while we were talking.

I did not do all of that on purpose for the challenges, so I am not sure if that counts for this topic but that counts for me and it was fun to cross all those things and realize all that I have done. I will certainly incorporate the challenges to my language learning routine :

My new goal is do 1 challenge a day or 7 challenges a week. That means doing all of the beginner challenges in 3 months (lets be realistic, there will be missed days).

On a separate matter, I have noticed there was links to French dictionaries on the 1st page. I propose Lexilogos (click on the link). On the French page, you can type in a word in French and English and then choose from a selection of monolingual and bilingual dictionaries. It's practical if you want to look at several dictionaries without having to type you word twice. The dictionaries I use in the selection are : Larousse and Word reference (bilingual), Tresor and Larousse (monolingual). There is also tons of other useful stuff on that page and there are about 179 other languages but I will let you find out for yourself.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4217 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 174 of 189
29 May 2013 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
It's been a while! I hope everyone is still finding some time to study. I've been getting back into the rhythm thanks to
the 6WC, although no where near as intensely as the last round.

Here are two challenges i've just done, 11 and 12 from the beginners list. 11 is a post card to my exchange partner
in Quebec. I thought that would be appropriate since i've just confirmed that i'll be spending two weeks with her this
summer! Now's my chance to get that accent!

11. Ciao, Lydia! Ho ricevuto la tua lettera ieri. Certo che voglio visitarti in Quebec. Ci sono molte cose che mi
piacerebbero fare. Mi piacerebbe andare al museo, al festival delle culture, ed al parco di divertimenti a Montreal. Ho
saputo che è molto divertente. Voglio anche vedere la città di Quebec durante l'estate. Sarà bellissima, sono sicura.
Sopratutto voglio passare il tempo con te e la tua famiglia! Mi mancate molto. A presto! -Emily

12. Oggi è un brutto giorno. Mi mancano molte cose. Sta piovendo e non ho né l'ombrello né l'impermeabile. Vorrei
mangiare qualcosa di caldo, come una zuppa, ma non c'è zuppa nella mia credenza. Devo mandare un email alla
mia insegnante ma non ho il suo indirizzo (Non ho neanche il documento che devo mandarle!). Spero che domani
avrò tutte le cose necessarie.

Two more challenges... i'm not sure what that puts me at. It's been so long!

While we're on the topic of online french resources, my teacher gave us this website for a project: http://www.tou.tv
it has a lot of tv shows and movies on it (for free!). I hope that hasn't already been posted...

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4217 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 175 of 189
19 June 2013 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
I guess everyone's pretty busy. I just finished school and my last exam is tomorrow. Then i'm off to quebec!

I'd like to encourage everyone if they have a minute to try to contribute something to the
wiki. Even if it's just filling in the
resource
section for each language based on what you've used personally. Every little bit counts. It's really easy and you don't
even have to make an account if you don't want to!

Also, a note on the website i put in my last post: i think you have to be in canada to access it. Sorry.

Edited by Emily96 on 19 June 2013 at 1:29am

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4217 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 176 of 189
17 July 2013 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
This is kind of lonely guys....

voglio parlare con voi!
quiero hablar con ustedes!
je veux parler avec vous!
quero falar com vocês!

how's it going?

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version