Diglot
Poland
Joined 5546 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 81 of 150
12 July 2013 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
I found a good site with ebooks in French. There are many different genres, mostly old stuff, but it's a good resource if you find yourself without anything to read.

Atramenta

Edited by pesahson on 12 July 2013 at 7:47am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4827 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 82 of 150
12 July 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, it looks awesome! And it is interesting that the site is in French, with Finnish adress and server in Germany. It looks to be an eshop with newer books as well but I'd need to look closer at it to find more. Thanks! it looks like there could be many of the public domain books that are not in the Gutenberg project or in the Freebooks app.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4827 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 83 of 150
13 July 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Finished a book by R.E.Feist:Shadow of a Dark Queen and it was totally awesome! One of the best fantasy writers, the book got high on my list of favourites. Language wise, it isn't as difficult as some other authors but it is a pleasure to read, no dumbing down harm happened to it.

so: ASC English books: +5,6
and ASC French movies: +0,5 movie (1 episode of Eureka)

Other than that, I am fighting my Anki debts really well, I should be able to start new cards comfortably tomorrow. And I had nearly 1000 reviews due just two days ago. And I am slowly getting through the Swedish pronunciation. I love the sound of the language.

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5546 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 84 of 150
13 July 2013 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
it looks like there could be many of the public domain books that are not in the Gutenberg project or in the Freebooks app.

I found it when looking for Jane Austen books which I couldn't find on the Gutenberg site. I never though I would read Austen but I wanted to work on my pronunciation and I was looking through the books on litteratureaudio.com site and Austen seemed most interesting. I started "Sense and Sensibility" and I got hooked. The plot is pretty thin but still enjoyable.

Cavesa wrote:
And I am slowly getting through the Swedish pronunciation. I love the sound of the language.

That's the reason I started Norwegian. There is something charming about the pronunciation of the Scandinavian languages.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4827 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 85 of 150
13 July 2013 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that is true. The descendants of the vikings have such beautiful languages. And music. I just wish most of them sang in their languages instead of English.

Another book finished today. Mortel corps a corps, the third Sookie Stackhouse novel. I love this series, just as I love the tv adaptation. And there is so much of awesome, useful, up to date, colloquial language!

So, ASC French books:+3,5

No more books are likely to be finished today. But I will probably read some more. On the other hand, I am tired of watching tv series for now. And it is no wonder, considering how much have I watched in the last year or so. Of course I watch the new episodes of True Blood or Futurama but je n'ai plus envie de les regarder toute la journée. (Right after reading in French, it is harder to remember some things in English. And I'm lazy to use a dictionary.)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4827 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 86 of 150
15 July 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
ASC French movies: +0,5 (1 episode of Eureka. one more till the end of second season)

other than that: still reading, actively learning Spanish and planning to finish the pronunciation lesson of Swedish. And fighting the monstrous German anki deck. new words coming tommorrow!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4827 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 87 of 150
19 July 2013 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
ASC French books: les Rivières pourpres by Jean-Christophe Grangé +4
ASC French movies: last episode of the second season of Eureka +0,5

count update:

ASC French books: 16/200
that's nearly double what I had when I counted the last time.

ASC French movies: 45,5/200
I've been reading much more than watching lately

ASC English books: 36,5/200
I have a few hundred pages hanging in unfinished books though.

Edited by Cavesa on 19 July 2013 at 1:22am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4827 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 88 of 150
19 July 2013 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
I nearly forgot to post about it! I spoke with a native Spanish speaker. A mexican exchange student. I had quite no trouble understanding and I put some sentences together as well and, frankly speaking, was better than I would have expected. Even though there are things I need to work on to get at least the basics covered completely. We spoke of languages and of literature. It was very pleasant and the mexican was a really nice guy.

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version