Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 145 of 150
24 December 2013 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for your encouragement!

I am still continuing:

French movies + 6: 12 episodes of Profilage (the last season so far. It ended on the worst cliffhanger ever! And I've seen a lot of cliffhangers. I don't want to give away such a spoiler, because the series is really worth watching, but it is huge. Like mt.Everest high cliff and a hair thin rope to hang on. I hate cliffhangers :-D

French books:+3,7 La morsure de la panthere by Charlaine Harris. Really fun reading. Less intense and epic than some of the other volumes of the series, yet amusing. And I really like the language used, it is of similar register most tv series I watch are. Good job, Frederique Le Boucher, I'm enjoying your translation!

English books: +6,8, Magician by Raymond E. Feist. A masterpiece. Really, this is one of the greatest fantasy authors. So many enter the genre and so few conquer it! It's epic, it's clever, it's fun, it's funny, it's everything! I need to buy the second volume of the series soon.

So, I am still going on. I think one should not take bigger load than 300 x 100 pages and 300 movies (600 episodes of tv series) unless you are willing to do nothing other than the SC. I was naive to take so much. And actually, the idea to take 200 instead of 100 just because you are rather around B2 than B1 is a bit ridiculous in the light of my experience. Of course you read faster, when you are advanced. But you cannot speed up ad infinitum. We don't read a page per 3 seconds in our native languages. Sure, there are some speed reading techniques but I am not sure the SC is the place to explore them. And even quite a fast reader, for exemple me, can get to a situation when too large part of her time is being put into the SC and that the books are no longer that enjoyable. And that applies to movies/series as well. Even more. You cannot watch the movie faster!

In order not to prevent myself from "real" language studies next year, I will be much more reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I learnt tons from the input and I am still progressing. It is awesome to see quite nice structures from the input appear in my head every now and than. It is awesome not to strugle with some past obstacles. Even my English vocabulary is growing slightly (which is important for some of my crazy plans ;-) ). But I am going to need the time for other things as well.

I will finish when I finish. Should it take even more than the time until the new round, so be it. I expect no more than 1 part to take so long. And I will take on only one SC, a regular one. I can always take another or expand it, should I find myself with too much time on my hands :-)

And I have huge plans for the next year, as I'll write in detail in my new log. And I have much larger levers to put myself to actual completion. A huge star on my sky is going to be Spanish. It look like I am very likely to go to Spain for a month in the summer! And one of the "smaller" issues will be the damned DALF. I've been planning to take it for a few years now. Combined with my subjects at school this year (including French terminology), there will never be a better opportunity.

As you see, I will need a lot of time and I will need to be a reasonable, grown up girl.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5157 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 146 of 150
24 December 2013 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
I totally agree with you about the Super Challenge: I wish it will be possible for me to take part in the next one, but I will undertake it only if the rules are reasonable this time. One thing is being challenged, another is setting oneself up for failure (and frustration) by aiming unrealistically high. Just like you, I don’t want to spend all my time only on the SC but I intend to use it as an energizer to push me to maintain those languages that wouldn’t normally get any attention.

I can’t wait to read your big plans for next year! You’re being rather mysterious and you’re making me curious. By the way, as you expressed your interest in learning Swedish early in the TAC ’14 sign-up thread, provisionally we’ve put you down as a team member in the Scandinavian team. I’m not sure whether being part of the team either as an active member or an observer/Wanderluster is part of your plans for 2014, but you’d certainly be more than welcome if you decide to join. So, let me know where you stand when you’ve got a little time to answer.

In the meantime, happy holidays!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 147 of 150
24 December 2013 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
The possible rule changes are being discussed in this thread. :)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5157 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 148 of 150
24 December 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
The possible rule changes are being discussed in this thread. :)

Yes, I've been following that thread and I can't wait to see what the community decide for the next Super Challenge.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 149 of 150
29 December 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Unfinished books to finish the SC count:

French: La reine de vampires by Ch.Harris +3,4; two Simenon novels unfinished:+1,5 book, a short Chattame novel:+0,5, Pulmann:Les Royaumes du Nord I:+0,4

English:Jordan:The Dragon Reborn +0,7; Tolkien:The Fellowship of the Ring +0,4

ASC "FINAL" COUNT
English movies finished
English books: 86,2 out of 200!
French movies:106,5 out of 200!
French books:69,2 out of 200!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 150 of 150
29 December 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Closing this log:

SCs: I haven't finished, however, I am going to complete them in 2014. Too late but still. It matters to me. I have noticed huge impact, especially of the tons of listening.

Other than that: I am not too content with my progress during the 2013, even though it was a really busy year with tons to do for my university exams, moving, break up and everything. However, I going to get better during the 2014.

French: I am much better at thinking at the language, which I consider to be the base for the active skills. The few encounters with natives only support my theory. However, my grammar has been slightly deteriorating and I didn't do even half of everything I had planned.

Spanish: This love of mine was mostly rotting in peace.

Swedish: I got from the zero somewhere. Not too far, but still. I like it.

German: I maintained vocabulary with anki but haven't progressed much.

Wanderlust: under usual levels. That is good news.

So, lets dive into the new beginning. Lower SC load should help, together with lower university load (my exams won't be easy but should be nowhere near the hell of the last year). See you in my new log.

As the final word, I would like to thank everyone who has been with me for part of the journey. Your advice and encouragement has been crucial to the successes I have achieved during the year (and there were some nice ones, even though the overall overview doesn't look that positive :-D, I tend to see things a bit darker than they are usually ). I am looking forward to reading you again, anywhere on the forums and to being in TAC teams with you :-) Happy New Year!

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version