3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 33 of 150
16 February 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I made a nice thematic meme and don't know how else put it here so:

http://qkme.me/3t0rib

SC update:

+1/2 Spanish movie. first episode of Los pilares de la tierra. I really enjoy it and am
looking forward to the next five episodes.

You're right. Why do I always need to make things more difficult? It doesn't make
sense. Even reading 100 hundred books is a huge accomplishment, after all. So, from now
on, I'm counting 100 pages as "book". I'll update the count (with 2x old books) at the
end of February. No new books to count since yesterday but I'm working on it. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 34 of 150
20 February 2013 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
During last few days, I was laaaaaaaazyyyyy. And a bit tired and ill but mostly lazy.
So, I am slightly falling through the 6wc ladder but what is worse, my hour count is
not moving up since I haven't put those hours in. (Who would have guessed.)

So, today I continued. I have got over the obstacle that stopped me a few days ago: the
imperatif. It looked a lot more difficult than it actually is. I spent a bit of time
with a grammar book (Moderní gramatika Němčiny, a really good book) and it's not so bad
anymore.

I got some new resources: Second hand Themen Aktuell 2 + exercise book (I really like
that course) and a grammar book with a lot of exercises. And a book in Spanish. I have
as well downloaded a few libraries in Spanish and French and English so, no more
trouble with getting material for SCs. If anyone knew where to get similar for German,
I'd really appreciate a PM with a hint or even a link :-).

I went to IKEA again. And again, I was tempted to steal a book even though I wouldn't
ever do that! Why can't they justsell those too? I want a book (or five), I want to
give them money for it and they just want those treasures lying there without use. I
will start Swedish soon probably. Wanderlust has been attacking so I consider slow but
serious beginning of a new language as a cure. But getting native material is a bit
more difficult :-(

And I will change my Spanish to intermediate in my profile. I haven't progressed in any
textbook or grammar but I can understand tv series quite without trouble (yes, some
details escape, true) as Pilares de la Tierra and Erase una vez proved, I can read a
book and understand quite a lot. So, I don't feel like a beginner anymore. And I will
catch up with my other skills later this year.

Plans for days to come: SC progress and finally finishing Themen Aktuell 1. After that,
I will have a huge listening session with all the exercises. And I'll do the writing
exercises and post them on italki. And I should do some French too, it's collecting
dust.

Edited by Cavesa on 20 February 2013 at 1:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 35 of 150
20 February 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Haha IKEA. Will you feel bad about taking the books if you bring the same number of your own books and leave them there? Or you could even try to do that officially, if you think they won't care which books they have there.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 36 of 150
20 February 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Well, I thought of asking them by an email. But from what I've read on the internet, I wouldn't be the first and
they always refuse. I think they would mind other books because they have the Swedish ones to not tempt
thieves, I guess.

SC progress:
1 English movie (1 episode of the big bang theory +1 of once upon a time)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 37 of 150
21 February 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
And do you happen to have any books in a similarly unpopular and "useless" language?
Or you could just take one at a time and return them asap:)
I wonder what language they use in Sweden for this purpose....

also, did you search the czech-speaking internet for info? I bet this might depend on the country.

Edited by Serpent on 21 February 2013 at 7:06pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 38 of 150
26 February 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Give up something from MY library? Leave any of MY PRECIOUSSSes there alone? Not gonna
happen. :-D I would lend to a friend, I would give to a friend. I would not leave there
to the stupid fate of being just a complement to a bookshelf. That's completely wrong.
:-D

I searched it too. :-( no good result. I even asked a few people from the Scandinavian
House (a volunteer organisation with a library in nordic languages. not officialy made
by those countries but somehow supported). They had no idea. So, there are two options:
1.Noone manage to buy a book from them and IKEA either has a rule not to sell or the
individuals are just mean 2.Noone dared to ask.

Another update. I am being lazy. And I found out why thanks to someone somewhere who
pointed me to this article of Khatzumoto's:
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/potheads-planners- and-players#comment-319402

He basically divides approaches into three cathegories: Potheads are quite the
wanderlusters and dreamers. Planners make a plan and stick to it at all costs and risk
burning out on the way when the reality doesn't match the plan. The players enjoy every
moment and choose what to do like "Ok, what do we play now?".

My usual trouble is the tendency to be the pothead. Which I usually fight by trying to
be the player. Which is ok and works but needs time. And it is difficult when beginning
the language. I suffer from my inability to read books and watch movies in German yet!
For the 6WC, I turned into the planner. And I am failing because of it. It takes me too
long to chew through the course and I am getting fed up with anki. I need to be more of
a player.

So, from today on, I am again on the right track, I am again adding some time to my
German. I am supplementing it with other languages. I am doing what I feel like, not
what I feel I should do.

Hmm. And now there is a challenge: How to make anatomy a game? I am doing a few things
already. Reading and highlighting (makes me systematize what I learn, read slower, and
do something with the text), making a mindmap, going through the awesome flashcards,
coloring pictures (have to draw as well and I hate it). Any other ideas? I need to
start preparing for the exam coming in several months. I should be a planner but this
is how I already failed. So this time, it will be the player. I have time. I have more
than enough time. I just need to make myself love it again, so that it will stick into
my brain easier.

After all, this is what I chose. This is one of the most exciting things to study in
the whole universe. This is what scientists had been dying for in past. I have no right
to get myself bored.

Btw, I can already study quite well from German Anatomie Malbuch! Latin is the same and
I am understanding the rest quite well, even though it is far from becoming my active
vocab. And I color pictures! It is a genious idea, that coloring book. It makes me
stare at the picture, do something with my hands and stay with the term in question for
long enough to remember it.

I should download all that nice presentations from Grenoble because they have audio
recordings added to them. Could be good to listen to while walking, as walking with
open books is not healthy.
SC update from the last few days:

+ 2x100 English pages read: The Time Traders by Andre Norton
a sci-fi from the fifties. I loved it. It has a lot of the classical motives inside but
it is fun, it flows really well and the story is just catchy.

+ 2x100 pages French : Le souffle de la salamandre by that lady I named several posts
ago. Another adventure of the young scribe. The writer is really good, in my opinion.
The books are meant for 11+ olds, I think, but they are crime stories, they are far
from boring, there is a lot going on. I suppose most children reading this are going to
stay or become regular readers.

+1 English film: Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid
Classics. I hadn't felt like watching it. But my boyfriend did and I joined. It was
fun. And a bit sad. And I understood the bits of Spanish!

+1/2 Spanish film 2nd episod of Los Pilares de la Tierra
I love it. My understanding is worse than with Erase una Vez or the movies in French,
but I know what is going on all the time and the things I miss are mostly details.
Mostly.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 39 of 150
20 March 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
You haven't heard from me for a few weeks, so it may be time for a little update:

6wc: unifinished, I kind of burnt out. My "efficient" approach of one loose end at a
time didn't end up well, for the reasons I wrote in the previous post. So now, I am
progressing slower, I am switching ressources a bit again, being more of a player, and
desperately looking forward to the first book or tv series. I am getting closer.

SC:
English: 35 episodes of Stargate SG1. Ten or so more and I'll be at the end of the
series. I've been reading a bit but not much. 2 episodes of Once upon a time, 2 of the
Big Bang Theory. Together it makes +19.5 movies

The rest: too little time for languages but I am in the middle of a book in French
nonetheless.

No-challenge-things: I am still teaching French. And my spoken English is obviously
horrible. Another couple of tourists didn't understand me. Aaarrrrrgh. I need to do
something about it. Perhaps record myself reading and listening to my mistakes to get
better?

Funny fact: As soon as I got rid of the wonderlust, everyone and everything wants me to
return back to it. I was so determined not to take up other language until my German
would be good. But my dad asked me to learn Italian, my little brother keeps
accidentally switching ipad games to various foreign languages (he doesn't care whether
it is Spanish, Russian or Korean as he doesn't read even Czech yet) and so on. Hard to
resist!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 40 of 150
25 March 2013 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Super challenges are going quite well:

English: 10 last episodes of the StarGate, one film (SG:Arc of Truth), two seasons of
webseries The Guild, 3 episdoes of the Grimm and one of Once upon a Time which all
makes up to +10 movies!

still reading through that French book but I should get finished soon

non SC:
I have done part of that national C1 exam for French I had been considering for long
part. Well, actually a mock test of course. Listening was partially ok: I understood it
all and I could even translate every sentence as it went. It wasn't fast at all. But! I
disliked the questions answering. I did get most of them right (would have got B of
listening, had it been a real test, 16 points out of 20) but I didn't feel comfortable
with them. I was afraid of my memory not lasting long enough. A surprise: The grammar
test was a disastre. It is high time for me to get working on the grammar. THat huge
grammar review is more than needed. I got like 34 points out of 69 and failed horribly.

German:going through anki, fighting that huge mountain of reviews piling up.

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version