Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 121 of 150
25 September 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Emme. I know, I don't have this trouble with most people any more. And my friends are already ok with the rest of me so my language tastes are just a minor detail. But my parents are still major sponsors of my life as I study medicine. Not only financial (even though that is undenyably important), and the more I need to try not to be too weird and disappointing :-) And they are as well supportive when it comes to "reasonable" languages. Especially my dad. So, they'll learn about my Swedish when I am already fluent and preferably in a situation directly proving it is not useless :-D Yes, in the far future, when I am finished with my studies, totally independent etc., I'll be able to be totally honest with them about this (and not only this) and it will improve my life for sure.

Thanks but I'm afraid I won't stop fearing the catch until I find it all out by myself. It's like knowing it is ridiculous to expect horror like intruder in my appartment but I still check the corners, behind the doors or the shower curtain and so on nonetheless :-D

Well, thanks for the help with Slavic languages parallels but truth is that I know much less about other slavic languages than about the romance and Germanic ones. Sad, but true.
now to my today's report:

ASC French movies: last 7 episodes of Eureka. Sad goodbye. But I will certainly watch it again one day. +3,5 movies

Swedish!!!

1.Assimil-still inside the first 7 lessons, I'll need to review 3-6 again before continuing. I like it.

2.Pimsleur- finished Unit 3.
Now, my ambivalent feelings towards it.
+I love that I can just turn it on, listen and repeat and put together the simple things while doing some cleaning or similar quiet work requiring only hands.
+I love how it makes me put together the small bits like pieces of puzzle
+I love the quality of the audio and the voices
+ it is less English native centered than the MT demo I once heard. No overacting, no excessive attention to things I don't need thanks to not being an English native
-I hate there are no transcripts or vocabulary available. Sure, if I dig deeper, I should find something. But I hate their reaction in the official QA like: by our research, you don't need it. Please, let me decide what do I need. Pimsleur is awesome but I have 500% harder time learning words I haven't seen yet. I don't want a transcript to turn Pimsleur into something like Assimil. I just want to visual representation of the word so that I can be sure my ears aren't deceiving me and making me learn nonsense.
-I trully dislike the unchanging setting "an american man meets a swedish female". And unfortunately, female feels like a more precise word than woman in this case. Why can't one lesson be the am-man and sv-woman, another lesson vice versa and later another setting? (even though two men or two women friends might be a bit trouble for people who have signifficantly easier or harder time understanding one gender's voices than the other's). But from what others wrote, I'm afraid this setting is everywhere in the Pimsleur and across the languages. Not only women learners are still flirting with a women during the course. But aren't the scandinavian countries supposed to be among the most gender equal ones on the planet?

German: A loud wake up call. I need to return and work like crazy and soon. I need to catch up on a friend who was B1 before getting rusty. And I am tragic now!

English and French: reading a few books for the ASC.

English: writing a story. basically a fan faction to share with a few friends. And it is interesting how I got now into position to help other language natives in my favourite game to be more comfortable (and encourage them and give feedback) so that they can enjoy the game and learn as much as I have or even more.
Emme, prz, Tarvos thanks a lot for your interest and support. It's appreciated and helping :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 122 of 150
26 September 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I am stuck. Stuck in the current books, stuck in the first episode of Engrenages (need more time to get addicted to something new probably). Stuck in Pimsleur! I desperately need the transcript or word list. In Unit 3, two words were introduced. "Quite" and "Very". I have no clue what they are. I am blindly mimicking the sounds but I am not remembering them because to my brain, they are not real words. I get stuck on those two 100% times. And in the beginning of Unit 4 as well. I tried three online dictionaries, the dictionary I got into ipad and a large paper dictionary. Nothing is similar to those sounds I am to repeat! I listened to those dictionary words in Forvo to make sure they are not the two I am looking for. Any ideas which words could those two be? Perhaps I should post to the advice forum too.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 123 of 150
26 September 2013 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Which language? Swedish?
Quite - ganska
Very - mycket

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 124 of 150
26 September 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Yes but those two words are not those used in Pimsleur in this context. Sans-serif already saved me with väldigt and lite. Those should be the ones I'm loking for. Thanks anyways for fast reply and help, jeff :-). Is ganska used more than lite?

conroy
United Kingdom
Joined 4885 days ago

36 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 125 of 150
26 September 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Stuck in Pimsleur! I desperately need the transcript or word list. In Unit 3, two words were introduced. "Quite" and "Very". I have no clue what they are. I am blindly mimicking the sounds but I am not remembering them because to my brain, they are not real words.

I know that for French there is a smartphone app that you can speak into and it will give you the text, provided it likes the way you speak and you give it something simple enough :-). Perhaps there is something similar for Swedish.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 126 of 150
27 September 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Is ganska used more than lite?

No idea, I use them both, but since "lite" can mean both "quite" and "a little"/("some") , I chose "ganska".

It depends on the sentence.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 127 of 150
01 October 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
ASC French movies: 3 episodes of Engrenages (I wasn't excited during the first but somehow, I was convinced and I'm looking forward to the rest)

Other than that: Reading, bits of anki, reviewing the French grammar.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 128 of 150
07 October 2013 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
ASC French movies: 5 episodes of Engrenages +2,5 movies
ASC English books Robert Jordan: The Eye of the World +7,8

Well, I learnt to love Engrenages. And while I had the "something new" crisis at the beginning and understood only 85% or so of the first episode, i got back to quite everything in the second or third and to quite everything even when not 100% focused at the end of the season. Well, being interested certainly helps.

The book is great but it took me far too long to finish. And it is one of those with the text heavy pages.

Other than ASCs: pieces of studying, mostly French and German.

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version