Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 17 of 150
27 January 2013 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Well, both my French and English are far beyond the 6wc focus language level. However, I
am my Advanced Super Challenges and will fill my French gaps this year. Not sure when.

I am rushing through my books but there is one trouble. I am choosing too long books!
Most of them are right bellow the 500 pages-2 books border. :-)

Thanks a lot for encouragement, Kez.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 18 of 150
01 February 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
asc french

half book Le Prince de la Nuit 6 (+1/2)

asc English

2 episodes of the big bang theory
3 episodes of once upon a time (+2,5)

other than that:
1.speaking French-about an hour and half. a friend needs conversation "classes" for exams. hopefully, i am well able to help with his mistakes and to speak more (which should lead to more fluency as well). he may appear here, at the forums.
2.about a page of czech to English translation. and of course, gaming! and i wrote a "story".

Looking back at January:

update of SC status:
-French books 1,5/200
-English books +5, which makes it 10/200
-English movies now at 90/200

That is some progress but not as much as I need. Of course, it was exam time at university which is quite an excuse. But February will be excuse-free so it will be Annihilated!

And, I am going to Austria for a few days. A lot of skiing and hopefully a bit of speaking as well. But I am nearly ashamed of my German now. But I am taking a lot of study materials with me: That Themen book which I hope to finish during the week (yeah, still stuck at third lesson now. somehow, it is hardly chewable despite being food-centered).

Tonight, I am going through all those logs I've been neglecting during last two weeks or so. So, expect a huge wave of posts by me. After all, I'm a guardian angel for some.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 19 of 150
01 February 2013 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
I almost forgot!

I've seen the Hobbit in the cinema! It was awesome! (unfortunately, even professional translators-subtitle makers make awful mistakes. I should get their job and salary, I'd do it better)

And at home, I watched the extended version of the Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers. Each is twice as long as the cinema version. They are so much better! But now I feel a bit cheated about the money for cinema tickets and cinema-version dvds me and my family payed years ago. But on the other hand, I had no idea those films could surprise me so much again, which is awesome. One thing. I didn't have the English subtitles for the Elvish parts of the Two Towers. Really considering learning it. Just joking. Well, more joking than being serious.

And a funny conversation during the dialogues in Elvish

my bf: "What are they saying?"
me: "I don't know!"
bf: "How comes you, such a linguist, can't understand Elvish?" :-D
me: "I don't even know which dialect are they speaking."

So, accordingly, I am updating my count: hobbit was surely over 90 mins, the lotr movies are 4 hours each. Together, it is like 6 movies? will count it like that.

So now, I am at 96/200
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 20 of 150
08 February 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
6wc is here! I have started more than well, I dare say. Even though I am far from the first three, who are
dragging the scores faster than I'd consider possible :-).I was skiing in Austria for a few days, so I had
opportunity to practice my survival German speaking, read flyers and advertisements, listen to a lot of
German (including girls discussing music and other fun occassions) and so on. I have been ankiing quite a lot
and I have moved in Themen.

My goal: to make this 6wc my best. That means having more than 36 hours and being at least 24th. Yes, I
am competitive. It's usually one of my mistakes, but sometimes, it is great motivation. The more that
participants of the challenge are dedicated, admirable and a good inspiration.

I have been a lazy guardian angel lately! But I have started working on several topics. Lyžování, káva, čaj,
taneční are the topics I have started. I promise to complete them this week.

No progress with super challenges but I got a book and a serie in Austria. I will complete the challenge.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 21 of 150
08 February 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
And I almost forgot. After considering rule updates o f the super challenge, I am counting every 200 pages as
a book now.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4338 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 22 of 150
08 February 2013 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad you had a nice time in Austria and could practise some German. I see that there
are quite a few German learners taking part in the 6WC. Do you compare yourself with
them, too or do you just have a general view? I also find the 6WC challenge motivating
but missed to update my TAC log this week. Will do it later on. The Czech topics you
chose sound interesting, I'm looking forward to them :-).

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 23 of 150
08 February 2013 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Yes, German is one of the most popular 6wc languages. Of course I compare myself to them but we are quite well spread all over the ladder. :-)

SC update:

English advanced:
3 episodes of Neverwhere= 1,5 films

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 24 of 150
12 February 2013 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
an update:

SC:
english +2,5 movies (last three episodes of Neverwhere and the film Futurama: the beast with a billion backs or whatever was the name. it was fun but not my favourite "episode" by far)

reading a book now, hopefully will finish soon.
and decided to count AMoL as 4 books instead of 2, following the new rules. 800 pages are 800 pages.

6wc:
I'm not as high in the ladder as I want, I need to work more, I am about my previous best result. All the others are great to drag me so far! Thanks!

But there is still time. I am now in half of Themen aktuell 1. It takes me more time than I had guessed. It is mostly a review but I am doing the exercises really thoroughly. And I'm learning the vocab in anki, putting there everything. I'll soon get my deck over 1000 entries!

I will have a huge listening-repeating session soon and I need to write a few exercises as entries to italki so I could get corrected. I'll wait till I have learnt the vocab needed for it well.

Other:
Piece by piece, I am copying that detailed cefr assessment list to excel so that I can use it to track my progress. It is a good one (better self check than most of the internet tests) but I cannot put my notes in the pdf and there wouldn't be space for all my languages anyways :-)

I wanted to do a language exam in May. I won't. It is in the middle of university exams, I don't know whether I'd have time to prepare for it. And it is expensive (more than some of the international exam. even though nothing is more expensive than the Cambridge exams, true). I would rather put those 3600 crowns (approximately 150-160 euros) in DVDs now. Well, if I had 3600 crowns just lying around. I need to put them together first. :-D

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version