Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 49 of 150
29 April 2013 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
I was asked how do I manage to watch so much. One word answer: procrastination.
Therefore I'm adding the last huge mass of watched things for the next fourty days, I
need to keep myself to studying for the next exam. But after it (I must pass or it will
probably drive me crazy), I am going to read alot! Approximately 269500 pages before me
to finish all my challenges!

Adding to ASC English: 37 episodes of Bones, 1 or Doctor Who, 1 of Grimm, 1 of Once
Upon a Time. That makes +17,5 movies

Fortunately I got some recommendations so even the French part won't be much of a
trouble to complete.

As I mentioned on the ynyaln thread, I had to make some space on my computer and
external harddrive. I got through my hoarded treasure and threw away some things I knew
I would never use in future. It is a good thing to make more space from time to time.
:-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 50 of 150
03 May 2013 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Good news everyone! (and a few less good, including Futurama ending soon :-( )

I had a minor, unimportant success at school and got some encouragement from my teacher
(something like "it's not that bad") which helped me a lot. And I got an awesome book.
Both have a positive result: I like learning for my huge exam again :-)

And as I am better using my "work" time, there is more time for fun as well, including
languages. I watched a few episodes of tvshows again, but much fewer than before, and
continued my huge French review. It requires me to put away my pride concerning my
great reading and listening skills and good speaking. My grammar has been getting
rustier and rustier. My writing takes ages because of it. My speaking would be much
shinier if the grammar and vocab base was solid. So, I am trying to be humble, that is
not easy for me, and go again through some low level stuff (because right now, I am
more likely to make a stupid mistake in preposition than in passé simple). It isn't too
nice but it is necessary.

I have as well tried Germanpod101 as I mentioned in another thread. I may buy one month
of basic membership during the summer as there seems to be nice listening practice both
for beginners and intermediates. And they have other languages, including smaller ones.
But right now, I am better off with what I have already got. I have even enough in the
mp3 so, no need for hoarding more.

The ASC English update: 8 episodes of Bones, 1 of Doctor Who (an awesome one! To the
center of the Tardis!) which makes +4,5 movies.

Btw I thought of an experiment. I'll set a languge for each day of the week to come and
I will do something in the language. No other foreign language will take its place and
there will be no empty day. Let's see how it goes:

Friday: French; Saturday:German; Sunday:French; Monday:German; Tuesday:French;
Wednesday:German; Thurday:French.

If it works, I should soon be able to add Spanish to the mix soon again. I don't need
to spend hours a day on languages, or rather I cannot now, but I must put an order into
things now. Or everything will get as rusty as French grammar and fade away like some
pieces of my German.
2 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5545 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 51 of 150
03 May 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
I just found THIS CHANNEL where someone puts France 5 programmes. Looks interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 52 of 150
04 May 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Pesahson, this looks very useful. A few videos have already caught my attention
on the list.

So far to my experiment:
Friday: some French grammar review
Saturday: I just had a break in between listening to audios for the Themen course. I am
near the end of lektion 6.

No ASC updates.

roberto7
Joined 4040 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Studies: English

Message 53 of 150
04 May 2013 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
I like your working through all these amazing languages !

I wish you the best of luck:)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 54 of 150
07 May 2013 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
Thanks!

Since my last post, I had another day with revieweing basic French grammar and vocab. I am not enjoying it
but occassional mistakes prove that it is a necessary self-torture.

But another day with German brought me a lot of joy! Next time, I'll finish lektion 7. My vocab is getting better,
I have quite no trouble with verb related things. My mistakes in perfektum come from not remembering the
proper verb forms but that is getting better as well. What I am horrible at are the conjugations and
remembering what form to use with which preposition. This will take time.

English ASC update: 1 episode of Doctor Who, The Big Bang Theory and Once Upon a Time, that makes
+1.5 movies

I have got a wonderful link from pesahson, so with links I got in the thread, I'll have no trouble with the French
ASC. I'm diving in tomorrow, after the self-torture.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 55 of 150
12 May 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I kept to my experiment and it is a success! Even during a busy day full of other
studying, I did a portion of anki reviews. In a better day, I did listening, grammar,
textbook work,... I didn't watch any series, I just wasn't in the mood.

My French: The huge trouble I have found and plans for the solution are here:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=35895&PN=1

My German: Awesome! I have started Lektion 8 and I am getting much better in
declinations. I am as well finding my way through the prepositions and verb particips
but that will work, given the time. It's funny that I am enjoying German much more than
French now. Had you told me years ago, I wouldn't have believed you.

Spanish will get postponed until my huge exam, I have enough to do with the two.

I have kept to one language per day even after my short plan list ended on Thursday,
because it just works. No worrying "what should I do today". So, here is continuing:

Sunday:German, Monday: French, Tuesday: German, Wednesday: French, Thursday:German,
Friday: French, Saturday: German.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4826 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 56 of 150
29 May 2013 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
The last two weeks or so. I am studying more for my exams, and languages just have to
survive on their own, in the dusty unkept corners of my brain. I have gone through many
episodes of despair, anger, sadness etc. The usual stuff :-D And you were spared from a
horrible and long whine which I nearly posted but fortunately stopped myself just in
time. And I found I would probably learn Mandarin easier than all this. (Yes, waves of
hate towards my wrong and several years old choice are on that list too. I should have
taken something easy and useless like most of my classmates. I mean it.)

So, in the breaks, I have tried twice to mimic Mandarin tones from the bbc languages
website and from an app. A nice surprise: I was able to hear the difference in most
syllables and example words. And my first attempts of repeating them weren't that bad!
So, I had a good laugh and enjoyed it before going back to serious studies. I cannot
imagine how can people speak fast with the tones. :-)

I stopped learning German and review French last week, And quite anything else as well
for now. But I did some tv series watching. So, here is update for SCs. And there is
French!

ASC En: +40 episodes of Bones (I have to cut these down seriously. No trouble.) and 2
episodes of Doctor who which completed the seventh series. Together it is +21 films. I
am getting near the 200 :-)

ASC FR!!: 6 (out of 8) episodes of La prophécie d'Avignon. It is something like Dan
Brown, just French/Belgique. I love it. That means +3 French films!

I plan to finish the last two until Friday. And on Saturday morning, I leave the
civilization with books (tens of kgs), notes (hoardes), two computers filled with more
"fun" and a good friend suffering from the preparation for the same exam. This forum
will be Cavesafree for some time :-)
I nearly forgot! There was another year of the book fair I loved so much last year and
the year before. I was very dissappointed. One of the Czech publishers I hoped to find
wasn't there. Most language related stalls were worse than the last year.

The Scandinavian House isn't using this huge opportunity much. I got two leaflets about
Swedish and Finnoswedish books (from 2010) in English and that is all. They only
present Czech translations of the books and that is sooo boring. They have so much
potential with their library, events, community and they don't present it at all.

I got contact for a Polish bookshop, that was a great thing.

The main guest: Slovakia. Not worth it. They had much better book exposition last year,
when they weren't the main guest. Sure, it is wrong that the Czechs don't know Slovak
writers and don't read that much in Slovak and don't force the two small markets to
work together as a larger one. But the whole point of the presentation faded away. My
impression was that they tried too much to show surface of everything at once (from
Slovak classics to contemporary books for children and books in minority languages). It
would have been better, in my opinion, had they focused on fewer exemples, several
stars and only things from the last ten years or so.

The Spanish shop was tiny and was made basically as an advertising of one minor online
bookshop. And a bad one. The Portuguese showed a few books and that was meant as an
advertisement for language courses in the Portuguese institut. That would be fine. But
I learnt they didn't even have a public library. So what the hell were they doing at
the book fair? No wonder their place was quite dead.

The Japanese weren't there at all this time. The French place was smaller than the last
year. I didn't find anything for myself but I think that was the only stall which could
have worked well to attract people to their normal shop. The Belgian one was strange,
just like the last year. The people there seemed to be there just to chat among
themselves as if they weren't expecting or didn't even want any attention.

There were one or two good language related shops. But only if I wanted to invest in
sources for a new language. Quite nothing useful for the old ones.

And even the Czech part seemed somehow worse than the last year. In 2012 and 2011, I
couldn't walk more than three meters without having to stop and explore something
interesting. This year, the fair didn't even make my feet hurt.

What is happening there? Why? I hope the next year will be better. At least, it didn't
tempt me to spend much money. I spent even less than I had planned.

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version