Belgium
Joined 4039 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 57 of 150
05 June 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Hi Cavesa,

Just found your log and couldn't stop reading. I found a lot of myself in your posts - the ambitious goals, the numerous "loose ends", the "dreaming vs playing vs planning" bit. But the most thrilling detail for me was the choice of your videos....I so love Dr Who as well! (In fact, my heart stopped for a second or so when I realised that the Belgians receive BBC 1 - so I can finally watch the next season as broadcasted, not having to wait another year for the DVDs to be sold at a reasonable price...).

I find your log inspiring, and your intense activities motivate me (and certainly many others) to move on. I wish you all the best for achieving your goals!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 58 of 150
14 June 2013 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot, Suzie! This really made my day, I feel sooo flattered! :-)

Well, I need to do intense learning sessions and weeks because I suck at the extensive small steps approach. Right now, I had two weeks long pause from languages. And I need about two more weeks because I failed my first attempt at the most important exam of the semester. I was on the forum a lot during the last 24 hours to fight my signs of abstinence :-D

I need to prepare myself well for the next attempt (I really needed the extra time, no wonder I failed) but after that, I feel like finishing at least one Super Challenge. There are piles of books and a few DVDs waiting and a lot more fun in my computer.

Well, I don't understand why the EU doesn't have a unified online market. The BBC shouldn't be allowed not to let citizens of other member states watch their shows, many other televisions in various countries don't have such a stupid policy concerning their online archives. So, I download or stream the show elsewhere. I would pay a reasonable price but I am not willing to wait a year just because of stupid discrimination based on adress :-D

So the next plan: 1.Pass that damn and hated exam. 2.Read books and watch tv shows for my SCs all day long. 3.Spend time with the international students coming for the summer. 4.Continue my serious language learning. 5.Start learning Mandarin (more about this crazy but serious idea next time. In short:It's so fun to try to mimic the tones!).

Thinking of it... I'll probably need to go and buy more tea, coffee and chocolate. Non credo in vitam sine coffeinum.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 59 of 150
16 June 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
During the last few days, I saw 8 episodes of Futurama (probably more but wasn't counting. Not less than 8 for sure) and 2 of the Red Dwarf. That I consider equivalent to three movies for the ASC English.

I have as well done a bit of DW course Deutsch Intensiv. It is nice. And I cannot find my German notebook+textbook and workbook Themen Aktuell 1 (I have one lesson left there) :-(, no idea where it can be. And my external dvd player is lost as well. I need to search this place upside down when I have the time. Until then, bad luck.

Enough languages for today, textbooks are calling.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 60 of 150
19 June 2013 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
As I am preparing for a small exam of something unimportant, not that difficult and quite boring, my procrastination attacked again during the last two or three days. So, apart from working on the Wikia (it's really progressing nicely these days, several people have been doing really nice job), there are a few additions to the ASCs:

English: 2 + 1/2 films.
One episode of the Red Dwarf (I love the series and have seen it all some time ago. And it is one of the few things where the Czech dubbing is nearly as good as the original and sometimes even adds something good to it. It's old, those days the dubbing makers were doing better job. So, if any Czech learners are looking for things to watch, Červený Trpaslík is a good choice).
And The Taming of the Shrew. Totally awesome! Taylor and Burton (both great, entertaining and some thinking inspiring) in the 1967 movie by an Italian (and famous) director whose name I keep forgetting (I'm so lost when it comes to movie history). So fun. I had the Czech subtitles which I couldn't turn off (were built in "solidly" and I couldn't find another copy) and at a few points they were even helpful. Fortunately it was quite easy to ignore them most of the time as there was always so much to look at I should definitely read Shakespeare in original :-) (both for the language and the stories) And I should watch more old films.
And I forgot to mention The Labyrinth that I had watched several weeks ago. Fun movie, in some ways similar to the Wizard of Oz, with charming David Bowie.

Both movies are something I saw years ago and somehow I remembered now.

French: 4,5 movies: Pilot and up to the sixth episode of Caprica. I have wanted to see it since I finished BSG a few years ago but I needed some French movies so I got dubbed episodes. It's wonderful, totally fulfilled my high expectations of a BSG spinoff. I'm thrilled to see how the story continues no matter the fact I know the likely ending :-)
Non SC related things I have been playing with for short moments here and there:

Pinyin and tones: I want to learn Mandarin. And it is so fun to try and imitate the syllables (I have tried a few words as well, I can't understand how do the people speak a tonal language fast! :-D). For now, I am using one of the many pinyin chart apps for ipad. I can produce just a few of the syllables properly (or rather quite properly) but I'm in no hurry.

Cyrillics. I can slowly read Russian! With bad pronunciation for now and only as much comprehension as the similarities to Czech allow but it serves for now.

I am worried for my English. Has anyone else noticed deterioration of my grammar? And some vocab doesn't come as easily as a few months ago. What the hell is happening?
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4669 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 61 of 150
19 June 2013 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
I wish I had such language-oriented procrastination.
+ I definitely know how you feel about English

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 62 of 150
20 June 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
I wish I didn't have any procrastination :-D (Than I would have enough time even for languages and I would be a super successful person).

+5 episodes of Caprica in French = +2,5 movies for my French ASC

and I read a few pages of the ASoIaF in English. I had stopped reading before Christmas, probably not wanting to finish and wait for the next one without knowing when it is going out. But that resulted in waiting the same, just with half a book left :-)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 63 of 150
20 June 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Up to date count for the SCs:

ASC English: movies 199,5/200!!!!!!! nearly there!

ASC French: movies 29,5/200

the rest stays the same
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 64 of 150
22 June 2013 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
The final six episodes of Caprica = +3 movies for the ASC French.

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version