150 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 18 19 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 150
12 February 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Just in case - the current rule is that 800 pages are 8 books:)
as for the 'loose ends', i just meant it's a great idea for myself to create a list like that. i generally complete everything sooner or later but it might take really long sometimes.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 26 of 150
12 February 2013 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
I know the current rule of 100 pages but it would feel as if I was cheating. For whole my life, I've been prefering long, thick books (and I am usually reading fast,eager to find out the ending but sad when I finish the book. Doesn't sound logical, I know.). just cannot count 100 hundred pages as a book. But I guess, nearing the end of the year, I will be just desperate enough to multiply my book count by 2. :-)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 27 of 150
14 February 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Warning: a Seriously Epic story about doing a few more exercises.

Yesterday, I had a crisis. A strange one. I was stuck inside the seemingly endless lektion 5. I had previously done the lesson in Berlin but now, with all the exercises, it was like a torture. It even didn't give those "look how fast I progress when I focus on only one resource at a time" feeling. I was bored with Anki as well. No wonder, as I have put in more than 1100 words in two weeks and drilled many of them newly to my brain.

I knew I didn't want to give up even for a day (the twitter count is a nice motivation for me, even though I realize how childish I am :-D ). Usually, I deal with this by switching activities or courses. And it often helps and prepares me for return as well. But this time, I was being stuborn and got through it, piece by piece, sentence after sentence, Apfel after Zwiebeln, sometime von 6 bis 12 Uhr, somewhere in das Einfamilienhaus. (Hey, it's not so bad yet, I haven't even said "in a galaxy far far away")

And it was a good decision, I got through. I am now somewhere in the realm of Lektion 6, dealing with sorethroats and broken arms (the favourite lesson of a medicine student ;-) ). And I will not stop before I get through this course book! And after, I will not stop until I am able to watch my DVDs and read my books. And even than I will not stop.

So, that was Epic. Now, that you surely realize I'm crazy, let's talk like normal people.

SC update:

2 films in English:
Futurama: into the wild green yonder (I must have seen it before but enjoyed it nonethe less)
Futurama: the Bender's game (Again a rewached one. But I love it!)

And there are two thanks:

Firstly, thanks to everyone writing to my log. I appreciate it. It is a great encouragement,thanks.

Secondly to seaturtle2112 who is learning German and awesomely skipped me in the 6wc ladder yesterday or the day before, leaving me and others of my league far behind. You're great, keep to it. Another reason to add at least a few minutes whenever possible. And next time, don't fool people with a name containing turtles!

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4334 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 28 of 150
15 February 2013 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Your foreign language choices are all I have on my to be studied list :) I
completely agree with "eating all in your plate rather than taking little pieces from
many different plates" idea.
I'll be following your log! Good luck!

Edited by fireballtrouble on 15 February 2013 at 10:58am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 29 of 150
15 February 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
I hate losing my posts! Since I got adblock for firefox again, the forum keeps loggin me off. It's so annoying!

So, I agree but I mean it mostly as not switching sources so much. I need to put time into all my languages in order not to lose them so I have to eat from more plates. And I enjoy it :-)

6wc update:
I'm currently 26th with quite good 17 hours and 42 minutes spent on German. And more will come even today. 10 more hours spent on other languages.

SC news:
French reading again!

I need to bring three or four books back to the library tommorrow (and I consider not using libraries any more as I have less time to read and the late-money is horrible. It's better to buy books and download others)

I have read one already today. They are all by Évelyne Brisou-Pellen. She writes books aimed at children (but they are quite fun even for an adult) and they seem all to be settled in middle ages. And they are all about 200 pages long.

I read Le cheval indomptable. +1 to my book count.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 150
15 February 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Get Lazarus too, it will revive your posts:) BTW I use firefox and adblock plus and have no (consistent) problem with logging off. when it happens, better just close all tabs where you're logged off. don't log in again if there are tabs where you're logged in.
yay about reading!!!

Edited by Serpent on 15 February 2013 at 10:56pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 31 of 150
15 February 2013 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I'll need to chew that advice a few more times to fully understand what to do but thanks! And I'll get Lazarus, sounds good.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4699 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 32 of 150
16 February 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I like my thick epics too, but figure that the 100 pages aren't books but "books."   I
couldn't be able to do the Super Challenge otherwise - I've finished nine novels, but
have read 4931 pages (for 49 "books").

This discussion contains 150 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version