Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3872 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 180
25 December 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Started learning German about 5 months back. First month consisted of about 12 lessons
of Assimil (sporadic)
Then month 2, 3 were spent in an intensive (3hr45min per day, 5 days a week) Goethe
Institute course in
Germany. The teaching, and the book used were a huge disappointed. Towards the end of
month 2, I started searching for better material, and figured out various books and
sources (with a lot of help from the kind folk here at HTAL).
Month 4 onwards I have been doing an evening A2.1 course (2 lessons a week, each lesson
2hr15mins). The course is again not very good, a lot of time spent on just somewhat
random vokab.
And not on language structure as a whole.

Month 4: I didnt do much studying outside of class due to work and other commitments.

This week is semi-vacation so I have started self study.

I am now primarily following five books:
Assimil German with ease.
Begegnungen A1 lesson 5 (really like this book, jampacked with information and words).
Living German (when I have some time)
Menschen A1/A2 (evening coursebook)

For Vokab, I will use the Lextra Vokab book.

Since Friday I have covered Assimil lessons 18-26. I was planning to cover 2 lessons
per day for the next 12 days to get to lesson 50 before the evening class starts again,
but I am feeling a bit burnt out now. I will have to drop to one lesson a day. The
assimil constructs have picked up around lesson 24.

Since Friday I also did 7 pages of chapter 5 of the Begegnungen book

And lesson 1 of Living German.

EDIT: Also started on improving English

Edited by Gemuse on 30 September 2014 at 10:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3797 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 2 of 180
25 December 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
I always wondered how good the Goethe Insitut was, why was it such a disappointment?

I'm always glad to find fellow German learners! If you're living in Germany, you're gonna pick up pretty
quickly between everyday life and home study.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3872 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 3 of 180
25 December 2013 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:
I always wondered how good the Goethe Insitut was, why was it such
a disappointment?

I meant compared to the money they charged for the two sessions totaling 7.5 weeks - 34
days of 3hr45 min instruction (2100 euro, excluding lodging). Not saying its worse in
teaching to other institutes.

IMHO in language learning (and esp in intensive courses), a lot of the work is getting
the language structure, grammer and vokabulary into the automatic memory of students.
Language teaching *must* align itself towards how humans memorize. And this is where
the Institut fell flat. For optimal learning, we must read the thing, hear the thing,
speak the thing, and use the thing, repeatedly (remind anyone of Assimil?). Moreover,
in an intensive course, the teaching and the teaching material must be as efficient as
possible.

Our group was given a terrible, terrible "textbook" (studio D). Not much text in there.
So there was no reading and reviewing factor. The teachers would speak German in
general, which was good, and we were encouraged to speak in German, which was also
good, but before speaking something you have to internalize it, and we were not able to
do that.

Their approach works for someone who learns primarily by hearing, does not need to
review, and can absorb information very fast, but for others it does not, at all.
Except for a couple of people in our group of 16 people, we were all very disappointed.

And another thing. They advertise on their site that it takes only one 3.5 week class
to pass the A1 test (85 sessions of 45 mins). In what world? There were maybe two
people who could have passed the A1 test after the first session (and one of them has
been living in Germany for a few months). The rest of us, no way.

In the second session, we were given the A1.2 studio D book, but we did not follow it
(or any book). The teacher would give tasks in class borrowed from several places,
which were good as exercises, but after class there was not a summary to review as
there was no original text. And Again, there were no complete sentences to peruse after
class to absorb the language.

To give a very concrete example, in the second session on one day we were given a page
out of the Begegnungen A1 book, the page has a list of new words (no example
sentences), and an exercise. All good.
We were expected to the complete the exercise, and to have internalized the words by
next day. Yeah, thats not how memorization works. If you look at the Begegnungen A1
book, after that page, they have a page of example sentences using those words, another
page of some dialogue using those words (written dialogue and spoken on CD), and more
pages of exercises and review using those same words repeatedly. THAT is how
memorization works.

To be honest, I would have learnt more German had I NOT taken that class.

Quote:

I'm always glad to find fellow German learners! If you're living in Germany, you're
gonna pick up pretty
quickly between everyday life and home study.

Hah, my workplace is English based, my colleagues are almost all non-German, and the
official language of communication is German.

Edited by Gemuse on 30 December 2013 at 10:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4974 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 4 of 180
26 December 2013 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
It's been a while since I learned German. I enjoyed the Goethe courses I took for the speaking practice but I can see where you would be frustrated. I can't really say how much they helped. I mostly liked meeting people through the course. Personally, I found that reading books in German that I had already enjoyed in English was the best way to get a jump start on the language. It's not fast. But it's what worked best for me. That and listening to lots and lots of radio broadcasts.

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6014 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 5 of 180
26 December 2013 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Ich wünsch dir viel Erfolg!

Have you thought about a "Gesprächskreis". It's often offered in big cities. In Hamburg it's called "Dialog in Deutsch". It's free for the participants. This could be a nice place to start speaking.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3872 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 6 of 180
26 December 2013 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Danke schön Mareike!

I will ask around if there is a Deutsch Gesprächkreis in my city (I could not find it
by a google search).

kraemder, were the Goethe courses you took normal paced, or intensive?

~~~~~~

Assimil: Lessons 27+28 (28 is a review lesson).
Reviewed lessons 25+26.

Begegnungen A1: Pages 118,119,120

With the amount of courses I have done, you would expect Assimil lesson 28 (personal
and possessive pronouns in various cases to not be a problem at all, but it was
tripping me up

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4974 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 7 of 180
26 December 2013 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
I did both. When I took summer courses in Germany they were pretty long classes. I took a couple back in
Boston also which were not nearly as fast, more like a college course pace during a regular semester. I liked
the conversational one the most of the ones I took in Boston. I'll be the first to admit I didn't have the best
attendance when I took the German classes in Boston. I was a full time student and when I felt the pressure
to stay on too of classes it was easy to just not go.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3872 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 8 of 180
28 December 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Last two days:

Assimil Lesson 29 + Review of Lesson 27.
The vokabulary introduced has increased sharply. Had to look up many words in the
dictionary.

Begegnungen A1: 121-129

Words which have different meanings in German than in English are SO confusing. Eg,
"fast, der Sender". Brain automatically uses the English meaning, and then the sentence
does not make sense. And then I'm like ****, what do these words mean in German again?

Edited by Gemuse on 28 December 2013 at 8:55am

This discussion contains 180 messages over 23 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version