Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3546 days ago

12 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 153 of 180
07 November 2014 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Gemuse, congrats for all the effort you have been putting in learning German.
I'm sorry to say this and maybe sound a little bit disrespectful, but shouldn't you change your method? I read at least 10 pages of your log and according to you, you haven't been making the progress that you expected. Taking into account that you don't want to quit Assimil, then why don't you mix Assimil + reading sessions? I mean, Patrick gave you pretty solid advice and I'm pretty sure you've taken the time to read some pages of his log...

This log reminds me of two of my best friends. They are brothers and started to learn English a few years ago. One of them was always studying grammar and doing all the exercises in the textbooks. The other one didn't even study at home. He based his learning on listening-singing to an american rap duo called Youngbloodz and a couple of other rappers.
Last december they went to Canada for an exchange program. The first one (grammar boy) stayed there for 2 months and the second one (rap boy) for 1 month.
Needless to say, the rap boy did much better and was considered an advanced student by the school when they arrived there. Even after 2 months there, the grammar boy didn't manage to pass the exam that the rap boy passed when they first arrived in the country.

So, maybe should add a different approach to your learning, enjoy the process and avoid being so hard on yourself.

Best of luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 154 of 180
17 November 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
I *should* incorporate some reading, the problem is finding time.

The B1 course has started, and I signed up for it. Mainly for speaking practice. I may quit after a while, as I am not sure how useful it is. But since I am basically in an English cocoon the whole day, I thought perhaps spending a few hours per week in a German pod might do me some good at this level.

Patrick was accurate in his judgment, with all the extra grammar work I have done, the grammar in the course has been a breeze (well apart from preposition usage, but that's how prepositions are). Vocabulary is now my stumbling block.

I recently bought the following book (saw it in Lidl)
http://www.amazon.de/Mein-gro%C3%9Fes-Buch-vom-Bauernhof/dp/ 3896001612
Decent amount of text, harcover, and only 3 Eur.

This week: 11H 30min
Assimil: 66-68
1 person has voted this message useful

csidler
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
chadsidler.com
Joined 4625 days ago

51 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 155 of 180
20 November 2014 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
None..my German isn't there yet. I want to finish assimil first.

Update since last time:
Assimil 61-65
Active: 11-15

A lot of people fall into the danger of thinking their skill just "isn't good enough yet"... well it never will be!

I would honestly recommend you dive in, and don't stress about not understanding. just start clocking up the hours!

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 156 of 180
31 December 2014 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
2014 year end summary.

Slacked off in January, and in August. Feb-July the progress was good. As was in September. And then everything went to hell from October on due to an increased workload. I am doing the B1 course (for speaking practice). I do part of the homework (but really, doing the full Begegnungen lessons would take waaaayy too much time).

I should spend more time on German, I will try to make some time.

I have started on reading through the Collins "easy learning dictionary" for vokab. The example sentences are nice, within my grasp, and the important words are highlighted.
I hope to go through the highlighted words next year. This is at least something that I can read for a while before going to bed.

For the next week: I hope to do some assimil lessons. I want to finish the assimil course and move on to the newer assimil one.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4711 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 157 of 180
31 December 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Sounds good, Gemuse. I hope the coming year brings increasing understanding for you.

I know you liked Hugo German in 3 Months. Have you tried their advanced course?

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4335 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 158 of 180
31 December 2014 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing you make real progress in the coming 12 months. Are you still in Germany?

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 159 of 180
02 January 2015 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
A very happy new year to you all as well!

Jeffers wrote:
Sounds good, Gemuse. I hope the coming year brings increasing understanding for you.

I know you liked Hugo German in 3 Months. Have you tried their advanced course?

Thanks Jeff! I hope viel Erfolg to you too in your French and Hindi endeavors!

Nope, I have the book but I haven't tried it. Actually I have not done the last two chapters of Hugo German in 3 Months. It is way too compressed.

I do however have the 1970s version of Hugo German. It is far inferior to the current version, but it has some translation (E->G) exercises that I find useful. I periodically work on it when on travel (it is a thin book, so it works quite well on train/plane).

patrickwilken wrote:
Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing you make real progress in the coming 12 months. Are you still in Germany?

Yes, still in Germany.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 160 of 180
22 January 2015 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
Haven't done much in the last two weeks apart from the class and some homework (was very busy with work).

A German tune that I have been recently been enjoying (Annett Louisan):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzbJDZDPW_o

Edited by Gemuse on 22 January 2015 at 2:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 180 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version