Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 81 of 180
28 April 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Today I did a few pages of Schritte international. Unfortunately, I will have to drop
it. Of the unknown words, only half were there in the glossar. It would take me about 15
hours to make the glossar complete (for the whole book). That is too taxing seeing as how I am already making the glossar for Menshen 2.2. This was very disappointing. I will still work on the exercises in the glossar (I have done half of it), but the main book and exercise book, have to shelve it for now.

I was looking at the glossar for Themen Aktuell, and that seems more complete. So, the
plan is to work intensively on Menshen 2,2, and work on Themen Aktuell 1 (A1 level)
during the next three months, for greasing the groove during the week. I'll also try to
see if I can also cover half of Themen Aktuell 2.

Edited by Gemuse on 28 April 2014 at 4:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4335 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 82 of 180
28 April 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

I was looking at the glossar for Themen Aktuell, and that seems more complete. So, the
plan is to work intensively on Menshen 2,2, and work on Themen Aktuell 1 (A1 level)
during the next three months, for greasing the groove during the week. I'll also try to
see if I can also cover half of Themen Aktuell 2.

I am impressed by how much you are working through the textbooks, but have you thought about trying to start reading simple novels with a Kindle? I was at about your stage when I started reading native materials and I found it really helpful. You only need a restricted grammar to start reading and the words you can look up as you go along.

If you do want to start reading I would recommend the cheaper Kindle, that sells for about 50 Euros; that plus a Collins German-English dictionary for 8 Euros is all you really need to start reading Harry Potter and the like.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 83 of 180
28 April 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
The idea is that the additional texts I read *should* count as reading. I know the
grammer at my level (and will learn it from the main text), so from the additional
texts I would just get the vocab and general solidification of things I already know.

I am also planning to get a couple of parallel text readers. Also, there is LingQ. I
have added a text at my level there, where each "lesson" is basically a short German
text.

Currently, I feel vocabulary is the bottleneck. I know the grammar for my level, but
there are tons of words for which I do not have the meaning for immediate recall.

I am hoping to move on to native material once I complete B1.

Edited by Gemuse on 28 April 2014 at 3:21pm

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4604 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 84 of 180
05 May 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Hi Gemuse! How's your study going?

I've had a poor 4 weeks. Went from doing too much to trying a 'when I feel like it
approach' which was a disaster. I need daily/weekly minimums or I won't do anything.

I see your last entry was about native materials. I've got to flag up Tin Tin again.
I'm almost finished my second German version- The Black Isle. It's been great for
giving me examples of spoken German. And some of the vocabulary has surprisingly met
three ways with the Assimil and the Hugo (stuff about criminals/burglars etc). And,
while I've got the gist of it, there's enough of the vocab I don't get to return to it
again and again as I improve.

I've also started Hamster Hektor-
http://www.fischerverlage.de/buch/hamster_hektor_ein_hamster _sieht_rot/9783596808243
Most of the vocab is new but you can infer quite a bit. I have to admit to folding the
cover over to hide the fact it's a kids' book- something I'd never do ordinarily. And
quickly skipping past the full page illustrations... It's from a series on the same
hamster- it's all from his perspective and he's got a superiority complex so it's
better than it sounds.

Hope all is well!

Lorna

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 85 of 180
06 May 2014 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
I am now in the A2.2 German class, and I have written about my vokab woes in the
Kursebuch. This week I spent 4hrs just noting down the vokab from the dictionary!
Another 2hrs on homework and coursebook (this was productive) and 5hrs of class. I am
treating class as just speaking sessions (and trying to figure out the teacher who
speaks in German). It's all terribly inefficient. With me treating it as a speaking
session, it makes it a bit less terrible but still not happy about it. In class there
is the usual crap about giving students different words of a sentence and making them
stand so that the whole sentence is formed. It takes 15 minutes, when the utility to me
is maybe of 2 minutes. I gotta find a way to tune out when this inefficient crap is
being done and just work on my own from my noted vokab. In a class session the teacher
used to word "mal" and I asked her for an explanation. She just said something about it
"klingt besser" and having no meaning, and I was internally like this does not help me
woman, I need a better explanation.

Also, I feel that German is cutting into my productive time. There are many things that
I need to learn from which German has been taking away time from. I need to divert some
of the intensity away from German towards these other endeavors. So I expect a German
slowdown now.

Edited by Gemuse on 06 May 2014 at 4:03am

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 86 of 180
12 May 2014 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
I started using toggl. When there are long term things to be accomplished, and overall
per week work is just a small step, and motivation is lacking, then the time logged can
serve as a nice cookie.

So far I have 4 tasks in toggl
German
Tasks 1-3 (what these tasks are is not important.

Goals per week:
German: 10h
Task-1: 2h
Task-2: 8h
Task-3: 4h

This week I did:
German: 8h45 min
Task-2: 4h30min
Other tasks: 0

I am only counting the time actually spend doing work, excluding breaks.
It inludes 4.5h of German class, which isnt always high concentration work, but I am
counting the full time.

German:
I was confused between the difference between errinern and merken. Here
is a writeup I found:
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201107051528 25AAMGD9g

And when "lauten" can be used as a synonym for "sein"
http://german.stackexchange.com/questions/6297/das-verb-laut en

I need to start on Hugo again. The classwork is fine, but it doesnt seem to be teaching
me much besides vocab.

Also, I need to be more proactive in tuning out in the German class when the teacher is
doing useless crap; and just review my vocab notebook.

Book buys this weeK: Tangram Aktuell 3 (B1) parts 1 and 2 (all lessons, kursebook +
arbeitsbuch): 11.5 euro shipped (used). The second book has some minor tearing at the
bottom of the book, oh well. IMHO it should have beeb advertised as good, rather than
very good. But the book is unread as advertised.
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4335 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 87 of 180
12 May 2014 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
The idea is that the additional texts I read *should* count as reading. I know the
grammer at my level (and will learn it from the main text), so from the additional
texts I would just get the vocab and general solidification of things I already know.

I am also planning to get a couple of parallel text readers. Also, there is LingQ. I
have added a text at my level there, where each "lesson" is basically a short German
text.

Currently, I feel vocabulary is the bottleneck. I know the grammar for my level, but
there are tons of words for which I do not have the meaning for immediate recall.

I am hoping to move on to native material once I complete B1.

Sorry to take so long to respond:

My sense is that your grammar is probably fine to start reading Harry Potter (or perhaps better Percy Jackson) now. You really don't need all this grammar to understand native German text. The sooner you start reading the sooner you'll start developing both a much richer vocabulary and a richer sense of the grammar.

Without much vocabulary it's hard to start reading without a dictionary, but if you have a cheap Kindle (50 Euros) and Collins pop-up German-English dictionary (8 Euros), you should be able to start reading today.

If I was you I would read the PJ series and HP series and then come back to the grammar. Both your vocabulary and grammar will be much richer at that point.

Anyway that's just my way - obviously everybody has a different way of doing things.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 88 of 180
19 May 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Last week was a bit of a bust.
The week started off ok, but then I think I got some infection and was feeling tired
and sleepy all the time. Then the weekend came, I usually get some work done, but I had
many errands to run and was really stressed because of some unusual situation.

Time Logged:
German: 7h21min
Task 02: 1h02min
Tasks 01,03: 0h

Boo :(

I hope this week will be better.

Here is a handout on German passive voice I found useful:

http://clasfaculty.ucdenver.edu/tphillips/grammar /passive-forms-&-tense-names.pdf

I also have a bunch of A2 level readers which I can read, with a dictionary. I should
get to them someday.

Edited by Gemuse on 19 May 2014 at 10:35pm

This discussion contains 180 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version