Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 73 of 180
13 April 2014 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
German:
I miscounted the word list pages, actually it's 29 pages :(

Today I was able to do 4 more pages of the wordlist (total 6 pages done), not as many
words to look up as yesterday, but still it took me a bit over two hours. Revised half
of Hugo chapter 10 (till the reading portion at the end). Brain is saturated now. I
have some questions based on the words I covered today, but I am too tired to post
about them today.
My weekends are being consumed by German, leaving me no brain space to learn other
things which I want to for my work. People say 10-15 minutes a day works for learning a
language, I dont see how that could work for me. I am spending like 8-9 hrs a week, and
still my progress is slow. I have to cut down on the weekend study and somehow move
some of the study time to weekdays when I am too tired to do real work. I need the
weekend energy to do work study.
Agenda for this week: grammar review (placement test the next week). Adjective endings,
past forms of modal verbs, reflexive verbs, and if possible Hugo chapter 11. I also
need to do some writing in German (I got killing in writing in my previous test). Have
to shelve the word list study till after the test.

Edited by Gemuse on 13 April 2014 at 12:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4464 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 74 of 180
13 April 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the A2 vocabulary list. I won't be using it to learn new words, but it's still nice to take a look at it and figure out where I fit exactly (I think I am B1 understanding, but still just A2 for active skills).

I wished Dialang worked for me, but it doesn't.

You are definitely working hard!

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 75 of 180
19 April 2014 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Recently got Schritte International 4, A2.2 level (yes, I know I have a problem) + the
XXL glossary (got the books only because of the glossary - it has the standard glossary
+ explanations in English + translation exercises, both ways, + solutions). As an added
bonus, each chapter in the glossary also has about two semi-detailed writeups on
culture and history of the German block. I got both books used for a total of about 8.5
euro shipped.

Did exercises from the first two chapters of the glossar. I quite liked the translation
exercises, nice sentences. The exercises were for Konjuntiv II + comparatives+adjective
endings. The translations from English to German have been particularly useful.

Unfortunately Hueber in its infinite wisdom has not released the glossary in English
for books 5 and 6 (but glossarys exist in other languages). A pity as otherwise I would
have bought the 5 and 6 books.

Here is an example of a translation exercise (translate to German) from the second
chapter:
Quote:

What do you think of these shoes?
-Arent they too lightweight?
No, right now I'm looking for lightweight shoes

Edited by Gemuse on 20 April 2014 at 7:43pm

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 76 of 180
20 April 2014 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Schritte International 4 XXL glossar: chapter 10 exercises.

Edited by Gemuse on 20 April 2014 at 7:42pm

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3709 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 77 of 180
23 April 2014 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
I like what you're doing, Gemuse! How is the Schritte International 4 XXL glossar? I checked it out on Amazon but I can't see what it covers.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 78 of 180
23 April 2014 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:
I like what you're doing, Gemuse! How is the Schritte
International 4 XXL glossar? I checked it out on Amazon but I can't see what it
covers.

You cant? Have you tried the preview functionality?
http://www.amazon.de/Schritte-interna tional-Fremdsprache-
Deutsch-Englisch-German-English/dp/3194518542

I am liking it. It would be worth getting only in conjunction with Schritte
International 4. And then too if its used. As I mentioned, I got the two because I
could get both books for about 8.5 euro shipped (combined).

I like the example exercise sentences they use, the explanations they have. And the
English to German translation exercises they have. The resulting German sentences are
not trivial, but at the same time, not out of reach. And the things that it asks you to
translate, it is useful dialogue, not artificial stuff. The book isnt perfect though -
for instance it did not explain the difference between "doch" and "mal" words when used
in Konjuntiv II sentences.

If you can get it at a library, definitely worth checking out.

Edited by Gemuse on 23 April 2014 at 6:31am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3709 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 79 of 180
23 April 2014 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Oh I was looking at the amazon for the US. It looks pretty useful, I will definitely look into buying it once I finish up some of the other books I'm using.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 80 of 180
27 April 2014 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Did a revision this week in preparation for the A2.2 course.
We will be following Menschen A2.2. What I really hate is that the glossary of this
will
be released only next year. So I have to create the glossary by hand using a
dictionary,
and that is a massive waste of time. I noted down the meanings of words I did not know
for the 1st chapter today. Took me 3hr 15 min. Assuming 45 min of useful time, thats a
2.5 hr waste per lesson. 12 lessons, so a 30hr waste in the next three months. Ugh. I
wish the course was following Schritte international with its English glossary. I will
also do the Schritte international book in parallel, as that has a glossary.

Why the hell is Hueber taking so long to print the glossary? The book was released last
year, so thats like a 2 year delay. Glossaries in other languages (arabic, french,
polish) etc have been released, but not English. Doesnt make sense.

Edited by Gemuse on 27 April 2014 at 4:37am

This discussion contains 180 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version