Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 137 of 180
14 July 2014 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeff, hope is what keeps me going. I must admit though, I am quite dissatisfied with my slow slow progress.

Something completely different: while browsing amazon, I came across the following book:
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/9380658826

I am planning to read it. Originally in English, so for those who are learning Hindi, it might serve as a dual reader. I think it is a three book series.

Edited by Gemuse on 14 July 2014 at 1:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 138 of 180
29 July 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
My German study has been a bit erratic in the last two weeks due to other commitments.

Redid Hugo Chapter 11.
This time around it was much better, as we had touched on a couple of things in class, like "the man, whose car that is...". I realized one thing, one Hugo chapter grammer is like 8 weeks of class grammer (Hugo has probably even more). The classwork has more vocab, but the Hugo has a very nice treatment of grammar; unfortunately examples are severely lacking. It's a pity as Hugo could have been a great book had it been filled with more examples.

Also in my German reader, did chapters upto 16.

Now that the class has ended, I am planning to do Assimil, as my spoken output is terrible. And Hugo chapter 12 in August. Yup, just one Hugo chapter per month.
And finish my readers.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 139 of 180
03 August 2014 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Assimil 33-37 this week.
Coming to assimil after a break, I am really enjoying the sentences they have there. Unlike the sentences in my coursebooks, these sentences appear to be ones that must be mastered for a basic grasp of German.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 140 of 180
22 September 2014 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
I have really slacked off, I dont have an excuse.

I did occasional Hugo, and assimil, but nothing significant. After many weeks, I decided last week to stop slacking around and do some work.

Last week: 5h 15 min.

Have covered Assimil upto lesson 46. Yes, 9 lessons in 8 weeks is quite pathetic.

Lessons 45 and 46 have been tough. Double prepositions in a sentence structure, and some idiomatic use. "Also von morgen ab hört mir das mit dem Bier bei Tisch auf."

I thank the kind people here at HTLAL, including Cabaire, Doitsujin, Josquin, daegga, fnord, and others for patiently answering my questions.

Random vokab for this post:
eigen : own
erst mal : firstly
stellen : to put (for something that stands)
geworden : pp of werden
jemals : ever
reichen : give sb st. = anbieten
riechen : smell, guess
verbringen : spend

PS: One year finished at HTLAL.
I have been learning German for 13 months now.
Unfortunately, cant say I am satisfied with my progress, which is in between "pathetic" and "terrible". On the other hand, I have definitely made some headway, so at least I have that.

Edited by Gemuse on 22 September 2014 at 8:03am

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4335 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 141 of 180
22 September 2014 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

PS: One year finished at HTLAL.
I have been learning German for 13 months now.
Unfortunately, cant say I am satisfied with my progress, which is in between "pathetic" and "terrible". On the other hand, I have definitely made some headway, so at least I have that.

What about making a change and trying out some native materials?

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3884 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 142 of 180
22 September 2014 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
^^ I consider Assimil as native material. I also have a few German readers which I have been planning to read. I concur that Textbooks are not enough at my stage.

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6026 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 143 of 180
22 September 2014 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
If I just use one material, I will get bored and start to work less and less.
I always mix with some other interisting materials.

Some suggestions:
German reading for beginning with audio
I also like comics. They are not that long, not that much text and the images help to understand the context. For example: Pepperworth
Here you find a lot of other comics

I also find it good to have a course, because it gives you structure. But without fun it is hard to work daily and to remember the things.

Ansonsten darfst du auch gerne einmal versuchen, auf Deutsch zu schreiben.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4335 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 144 of 180
22 September 2014 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
^^ I consider Assimil as native material. I also have a few German readers which I have been planning to read. I concur that Textbooks are not enough at my stage.

I guess it depends what your definition of native material is. I thought native materials implied materials that natives (i.e., Germans) would read/listen to. So real books and real shows.

I started watching shows as soon as I started learning German and read my first real novel six months after I started studying. I didn't study grammar anywhere near as systematically as you, so I assume your German is much better in that sense, so I am just surprised/curious that you seem so resistant to using native materials to improve your German, especially when you live in Germany and have such ready access.

This discussion contains 180 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version