Joined 5127 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 105 of 204
17 May 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
I'm below 20.

English - Mother Tongue and Primary Language
Spanish - Secondary Native Language (Native Fluency)
French - Secondary Native Language (though not native fluent, my first word was French)
Latin -   Primary Ancient Language (able to read/write/translate)
German - Secondary Language (Intermediate to Advanced, began learning around 2 years ago)
Biblical Hebrew - Secondary Ancient Language (Intermediate)

Other pursuits: (working over time)
Portuguese
Dutch
Ancient Greek
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 106 of 204
17 May 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
I am turning 48 in a week from today.

NORWEGIAN - native speaker.

ENGLISH: Near native fluency. Started learning it at 9, have read extensively in it since, have passed a University degree in it and use it every day at work. Fluent, but since I have never actually lived in an English speaking environment, I cannot pass as a native speaker. If anything I have a mid-Atlantic accent (betwen American and British, though much closer to American). Have watched thousands of movies in English of all possible kinds, so I have a fairly good vocabulary. My dyslexia hinders me somewhat though.

SPANISH : Learned it at 11, kept working on it to the age of 23. Near native fluency. Native accent, vocabulary very good on familar things and literature, not so extensive when it comes to adminstrative/tecnical issues, as I have never used it professionally.

FRENCH
Started learning at school at 13, then went to France for a year and became fluent.
I then passed a university degree at the age of 18, but have not done much with it since. I still have a very good accent, and can sound convincing enough, but I notice that my vocabulary is greatly reduced, and my written French is appaling. Will need to do something about that. Upper intermediate perhaps?

GERMAN Started learning it at 13, passed my high school diploma in it at 17, and have since attended the occasional evening class, 2 weeks in Munich and had visitors from Germany last summer. Am currently working on getting it from a level where I can say anything I want, but with grammatical errors, to a level where I can say anything I want without grammatical errors.

ARABIC Studied first classical Arabic for 6 weeks then Cairo Egyptian for 6 weeks when I was 18. Forgotten now, but will return to it at some point in my life. Love the alphabet.

LATIN/OLD Spanish Passed a university exam when I was 20. Hated it. Forgot it as soon as possible. Will never go back to it.

ITALIAN Started reading a lot of literature in it at the age of 26,went to Italy for a short while to activate it. Became quite good at it (basic fluency?) but have neglected it for a long time, and notice that now for the first time I really have to consentrate to speak it, and since I never really learned to write it, my written Italian is awful.

HEBREW Studied it at the University for a few weeks when I was 29, and had a short stay in Israel. Mostly forgotten, but I will get back to it. Love the sound of it.

DUCH: Took a total of 10 evening classes, but read extensively when I was 30,. Still have a fairly good understanding of written Duch, but cannot speak a word, and understand very little when it is spoken.

PORTUGUESE: Read some books in it at 31, fairly good passive understanding,both orally and in writing, no active knowledge.

POLISH: Played with it a little at 15, started evening classes when I was 32, did a summer course in Warsaw at 33, and got to a basic level. Have not done anything with it since and thought it was dead and forgotten until I started learning Russian. One Polish word will pop up in most Russian sentences I try to utter, and if I am stressd I will say "I do not know", or "I do not understand" in Polish when attempting to do so in Russian. In fact any situation in Russian which I find stressful will produce a Polish answer, if any. Strange! Will take it up again once I master Russian.

RUSSIAN: At the age of 43 I started learning Russian, and gave up.

At the age of 45 I tried again at Russian, and gave up.

At the age of 46 I made a new attempt at Russian, and gave up again. My dyslexia got in the way.

I have now started again, and have sworn not to give up this time. I am still a beginner, but I recognize more and more words. I'll get there in the end, in 20-25 years or so... :-) I do however not aspire for native fluency, I just want to be able to communicate effectively.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 17 May 2010 at 9:40am

Wise owl chick
Ecuador
Joined 5106 days ago

122 posts - 137 votes 
Studies: English

Message 107 of 204
17 May 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
bushwick wrote:
I am 18.

Me too. I have learned my foreign languages between 12 and 18 years. I wish that I had learned a foreign language when I was younger, but the native language of all the people in my family is the same.

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5593 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 108 of 204
17 May 2010 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Native: English

Studying: Japanese. Interest from martial arts. Hence, my user ID. French because my son
is taking high school French.

Previously: 6 months of Mandarin at Adult Night School. 2 years of high school Spanish

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 109 of 204
17 May 2010 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 

Native - English

Welsh - used to speak it as a kid, still remember a lot of it but sadly it's lagged behind my English a lot in recent years. Will sharpen it up, for definite, when I have time. Am proud to be part-Welsh, however my mother didn't consider Welsh an important language for me to keep up in.. so it lagged behind, sadly.

French - Did it in school for seven years. Can get by well for all everyday purposes, occasionally read books can technical articles with few problems. Listening skills lag behind a fair bit though, sadly.

German - learned it before I started secondary school, studied it all the way through secondary school and loved it. Am now doing modules in it at uni. Can read novels, technical material and watch TV and the news with no next to no problems.

Russian - have been learning this for about three years. Am studying it at uni. Can read classical novels (which are easier than modern ones) and the news, although am not confident enough to not use a dictionary yet. Listening skills lag behind reading ability quite a bit.

Slovenian - Started learning this in September. Can read kids' stories and seem to have a good ear for it. However I have a pretty limited vocab.

Italian - learning on and off for fun. Seem to be able to read a lot due to French and Latin (which I did in school for seven years but hated)

Spanish - "tourist Spanish". Will rectify this eventually.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5429 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 110 of 204
17 May 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 

Native: English

German: Took it in school for four years but I don't think I ever got much further than A2/B1

Dutch: Started at 18 and pretty much traded in all previous knowledge of German for Dutch. I'm now at around B2 level.

And I'm going to learn 3 or so more to advanced fluency at least. Next language will be Spanish. :)

niemia
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5469 days ago

19 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Polish, Georgian, Welsh, Arabic (Written), Japanese, Finnish

Message 111 of 204
17 May 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 

English: Native language

French: (13) Intermediate/Advanced fluency I guess. I have an accent, but apparently it's not obvious that I'm anglophone - I've had a few people be really surprised that I'm American. I'm writing my undergraduate thesis in French and I can read just about whatever I want (if it's older I might need a dictionary for some words, though). I make some mistakes when I'm talking, but I've only lived in a French-speaking country for about 4 months, so I still run into the occasional situation that I've never described before. Overall I'm fully conversational.

Spanish:(16) Started taking it in high school. Could speak it pretty well until I started speaking French all the time - now I constantly throw in French words without meaning to. Can read it and write it with relative ease. I would say basic fluency by this site's standards.

Russian: (19) My boyfriend is Russian and he gave me lessons for a while, but I only learned a sort of broken/slangy form with very bad grammar. Now I study it at university to fill in the gaps, so my grammar is better. I would give myself an intermediate level.

German: (Future!) Next language on the list. Will be taking it at university next term. Yay!

I dabble in, but would like to take more seriously: Welsh, Arabic, and Finnish

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5197 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 112 of 204
17 May 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 

German : native

French : native

English : since I'm 13, B2, I intend to reach C1

Latin : from 13 to 17, I don't remember much bu helps me for some scientific words in French

Ancient Greek : from 15 to 17, don't remember anything (apart the letters), and got it mixed up with modern Greek

Italian : from 16 to 17 : I can say : Mi chiamo Kisfröccs :), but I understand a bit due to my French

Swiss-german : since last year, although I heard it many times before, but I couldn't understand it. Now I fully understand it, can speak a few phrases when I'm in the mood and write a few phrases too. The difficulty, is that there isn't any fix speaking or writing, everyone has to set up is own writing and speaking...

Hungarian : since last year. I don't know were my level is. Something between A1 and A2, but I'd like to reach fluency one day :)

Russian : since 6 month : definitively A1, can't write properly, because my teacher emphasis more on the speaking than the grammar, and the grammar is just "instinctiv" for me :) Maybe one day I will fully spent my time on this language

Rumantsch : since a few weeks, I can read and understand some grammar. But I haven't found any material or native speaker near my region (yes, I live in switzerland, but not in Grischa)

Slovenian : just been motivated by a film (Slovenka), and want to learn it, but not really started

I think I will learn Rumantsch and maybe Slovenian or Croatian/Serbian one day, but first Hungarian and English ! :)

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version