Canada
Joined 4852 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English, Cantonese*
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 153 of 204
15 January 2011 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
I'm 26.

Cantonese Chinese: I was born in Hong Kong and even though I immigrated to Canada at age 4, my parents refused to speak to me in any language but Cantonese in my developing years, so I'm conversationally fluent. My reading/writing leaves a LOT to be desired, though, so I've started working on that again lately.

English: Native fluency since it's the language I was schooled in and immersed in from age 4 and on.

French: I'm at the A2 level. I studied French for many years at school (O Canada!) but didn't progress to fluency before my classes ended. I'm better at reading/writing/speaking than I am at listening though, so I need to find ways to improve my French listening skills. I'm currently enrolled in a class at Alliance Francaise, so I'm hoping practice will help. My goal is to have advanced fluency (can have conversations about non-technical things, be able to read newspapers, watch movies, etc.) by the time I'm 28.

Mandarin Chinese: I just signed up for a class this week, and class starts in a few weeks. Despite my background in Cantonese, I have had little to no exposure to Mandarin, so I'm starting as a beginner.
1 person has voted this message useful

manyvan2000
Diglot
United States
enpakkal.blogspot.co
Joined 4846 days ago

3 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Tamil*, EnglishC2

Message 154 of 204
19 January 2011 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Tamil: Mother tongue, but still have a lot to learn :).
English: Moved to US when I was 26. Still learning.
Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam: Learned the basics and know enough to get around places. Need to start learning in depth. Can read / write.
Mandarin: Started learning when I was 25. Stopped when I moved to the US. Started learning again last week. Learned about a couple of hundred words.
Russian: Started and stopped along with Mandarin. Can read / write, basic conversation level.
Japanese: Similar to Mandarin / Russian. Can read / write hiragana and katakana. Basic conversation level.
Spanish: Has been in my hit-list since I moved to the US. Have just started learning it seriously.

Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4856 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Iraqi)
Studies: Persian

Message 155 of 204
19 January 2011 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
I'll be 25 next month :-( , and here are my languages in order of level:

English: native

Arabic: Started teaching myself when I was 15, then studied formally from age 16 on in university and private lessons, and a lot of self study. Modern Standard is what I study, read, etc. but I speak Iraqi because I was in Iraq and I can understand all the dialects - except for the North African ones, which aren't really Arabic.:-) I have a pretty thorough knowledge of the language but I'm trying to exhaust it even more.

Farsi: Started a few months ago (age 24) and I'm at an intermediate level. I can understand the main points of a news report, for example, but I still need to increase my vocab. I can talk about myself and stuff, but I feel like I make a lot of mistakes because I don't have anyone to practice with and correct me.

Kurdish: Had to learn it in Kurdistan (age 22-24), but feel embarrassed that my Kurdish is so bad because it should have been easy to pick up having known Arabic. But having to learn in an immersion situation was actually not a good method for me because I was forced to use it before I really could, and I do much better building a foundation on my own without fear of being embarrassed. I can have a basic every day conversation, but with lots of grammatical mistakes and Arabic words mixed in. I'd like to study it more after my Farsi gets stronger, but it's hard to find resources, especially for the dialect of the region where I was living.

Languages I DON'T speak at all (AT ALL) but had to or at one time did study:

Spanish: Had little bits of it in school off and on since age 6 and in college.
French: Took one semester and remember a few words.
Hebrew: Had to do a project on it for linguistics class and learn basic phrases.
Russian: Taught myself basic phrases when I was 10.

Alexander.Stoma
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6091 days ago

59 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Belarusian*, EnglishB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 156 of 204
19 January 2011 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
I'm 32 years old.

Belarusian: Native
Russian: Native

English: Intermidiate, learned it in school, just now learning by myself

Languages that I want to study: Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin.

Edited by Alexander.Stoma on 23 January 2011 at 6:17pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jtdotto
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5017 days ago

73 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, German

Message 157 of 204
19 January 2011 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
21 years old (22 sometime soon).

English - mother tongue.
Spanish - studied in high school/university for 5 years, but really didn't get a hold on it til college. Was going
smoothly and was decently conversational at one point until I dropped it for...
Korean - 2 and a half years now, at university and abroad in Korea for 10 months. Very, very comfortably
conversational, somewhat comfortably literate, but still a long ways away from mastery, even from a foreigner's
perspective (that whole native thing will take a lot longer...).

Thinking about picking up Spanish again - now that I've made deep progress with Korean, Spanish looks so
simple... or German?

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4869 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 158 of 204
19 January 2011 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
19 years old.

Portuguese - I was born in Brazil, so that's my mother tongue. I can write better than most brazilians do (it's a little bit hard to write correctly, everybody writes Portugues, destinatario, instead of Português, destinatário, for exemple).

English - I started to learn English at school, and I have a lot of work to do in it. I can read perfectly, but the same doesn't happen to write, talk and listen. Although I can communicate at an intermediate level, it's not enough yet.

Japanese - Beginner. I've Started a few days ago. Only learned Hiragana.

walruz
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4844 days ago

4 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Japanese

Message 159 of 204
22 January 2011 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm 22.

Swedish - Native
English - I've been playing American computer games since I was 5 or something,
and have been reading books in English since I was 7 or 8, never really studied it
(studying English in school here starts when you're around 9-10 years old). Passed the
CAE exam last year of high school.
French - Studied since I was 12 until I was 17; I can understand written French
quite well, but I can't produce it. On hold at the moment.
Arabic - Started at age 20. Studied Arabic and Japanese simultaneously at the
university for one year. I then realized that studying languages one at a time is way
more effective, so I'm focusing on Japanese for the moment. Fluency: Non-existent.
Extremely basic.
Japanese - Started at age 20, studied for a year, had a gap of almost one year,
and I'm now studying it as much as possible. Fluency: I know the meaning of about 3000
kanji, can pronounce maybe half of them. I can read manga and Wikipedia articles
without having to look up to many words, but my listening comprehension is awful.

Right now, I'm trying to get the hang of the whole Japanese thing, then resurrect my
French, and from there I'll probably do Arabic and then either Mandarin, Farsi or Dari.

-Eddz-
Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 4842 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Icelandic

Message 160 of 204
23 January 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
I'm 16.

English- Native. Born in England, living in New Zealand, both English speaking countries. Parents speak
English 100% of the time, so I do also.
French- 3 years of lessons so far. Writing, speaking and listening is intermediate, by my own reckoning,
reading is better. Currently cruising through the Harry Potter books easily, as some example as to where I'm at.
Afrikaans- Very basic, only been learning about a month. That said, my South African father is fluent, and
is helping me with it, and that, coupled with the fact that Afrikaans is a pretty easy language for a Native English
speaker means it's coming along pretty easily.
Russian- Just starting to teach myself Russian. I have got a fair grasp of Cyrillic, and now need to work on
everything else :P
Norwegian- Next on the list. I have got myself a book on basic Norwegian, and will start to get into it when
my Afrikaans and Russian improves.

Edited by -Eddz- on 23 January 2011 at 7:18am

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version