Zorg
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5639 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 57 of 204
17 November 2008 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Greetings, fellow language geeks. Glad to have found this forum.

I'm an English native speaker aged 31 and have the following foreign language background:

French: I lived and worked in France some years ago, did my first degree in French and Russian and then a Masters in Interpreting and Translating. I now work as a full-time interpreter/translator in French and Russian and my other half is French too. We speak French most of the time, though her English is brilliant.

Russian: see above. My Russian is nowhere near as good as my French, but I can still speak it fluently and read it well enough to work as a translator.

Spanish: I have an A level (pre-University qualification for you non-Brits) in Spanish and have continued with some evening classes so have a good conversational level, though my grammar is dodgy to say the least.

Italian: I did one semester of Italian and thanks to my grounding in French and Spanish I can understand it moderately well, though a conversation is a bridge too far.

Finnish: I have a stock of conversational phrases having spent two summers there when I was going out with a Finn ten years ago. Such a hard language, but a lovely place and people.

1 person has voted this message useful

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6242 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 58 of 204
18 November 2008 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
[QUOTE=Sennin]
French: I can't speak or read French at all but I recognize it immediately when I hear it being spoken.

Err..? I don't think that counts at all. I can recognise probably about 40 different languages, but it doesn't mean that I actually have any skills in them...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 59 of 204
18 November 2008 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
bela_lugosi wrote:
mick33 wrote:

French: I can't speak or read French at all but I recognize it immediately when I hear it being spoken.

Err..? I don't think that counts at all. I can recognise probably about 40 different languages, but it doesn't mean that I actually have any skills in them...

Eh - let people count what they will. He mentioned his level honestly, and it's clearly something he considers worth mentioning. Personally, I think it may well be something worth mentioning, for a beginner - why not? It's easy to underestimate how tricky it can be to recognize a few specific languages when you're just starting - and just because it gets easier (and, I agree, if you can recognize 40, it's probably not a good idea to list them) doesn't mean that it's not an accomplishment at first.

Edited by Volte on 18 November 2008 at 7:42am

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 60 of 204
18 November 2008 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
bela_lugosi wrote:
mick33 wrote:
[QUOTE=Sennin]

You make a very good good point, perhaps I should've added that I only mentioned French because it's a language I will begin learning very soon. Having said that, I do agree with you and have revised my list of languages by omitting French.

Edited by mick33 on 18 November 2008 at 2:11pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 61 of 204
18 November 2008 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
bela_lugosi wrote:
mick33 wrote:

Eh - let people count what they will. He mentioned his level honestly, and it's clearly something he considers worth mentioning. Personally, I think it may well be something worth mentioning, for a beginner - why not? It's easy to underestimate how tricky it can be to recognize a few specific languages when you're just starting - and just because it gets easier (and, I agree, if you can recognize 40, it's probably not a good idea to list them) doesn't mean that it's not an accomplishment at first.

Now that I think about it, bela_lugosi is correct, I should edit my list and omit French until I've actually learned it.   

Edited by mick33 on 18 November 2008 at 2:14pm

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5897 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 62 of 204
18 November 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I will not give my exact age, I'm a rather private person.

You are not alone.

On the other hand, sometimes you happen to get into contact with some mycoolnickname85 and they always get surprised: "ZOMG, how did you guess that I am 23 yo!?!".

No, I am not implying that you were born in 1933. ;-)

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 63 of 204
18 November 2008 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Sennin wrote:

English (near-native) - I started learning English in elementary school and I've been on this track ever since, with varying levels of intensity and effectiveness. Right now I'm living in an English-speaking country and trying to polish my accent a bit ( though Scotland might not be the best place for this endeavour :)

I beg to differ with you regarding Scotland, as a native English speaker of Celtic descent I am very envious of anyone who can speak English with a Scottish accent.

In answer to the actual topic questions

Languages I speak or am somewhat acquainted with

English: my native language.

Castilian Spanish: Took two years in high school. I have only rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, that is to say I have a very limited vocabulary and virtually no speaking ability, but I fully intend to learn Spanish in the near future.

Afrikaans: I've been teaching myself Afrikaans for about 2 1/2 years and am getting anxious to actually speak it with someone. I can write simple sentences in Afrikaans and be understood.

Dutch: Attempted to study Dutch two years ago, abandoned it as I was more passionate about Afrikaans, but due to the many similarities with Afrikaans I can read and understand basic sentences in Dutch with little effort. After I get a better grasp of Afrikaans I will definitely begin studying Dutch.

EDIT
When I thought about the above list again, I decided to make the following changes to more accurately reflect my limited abilities; so here is my new list:
NOTE: I have chosen to omit French for the time being as I have not studied it yet.

Languages I speak or am somewhat acquainted with

English: My native language. I speak English with a distinctive Southern US accent that nearly everyone I meet comments on. But I like my accent, so I'm keeping it.

Castilian Spanish: I took two years in high school. I have only rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, that is to say I have a very limited vocabulary, virtually no speaking ability, and a very noticeable American English accent when I do speak Spanish. But I fully intend to learn Spanish after learning Afrikaans and Dutch.

Afrikaans: I've been teaching myself Afrikaans for about 2 and 1/2 years (though I only got serious about Afrikaans 1 and 1/2 years ago) and am getting anxious to actually speak it with someone so that I can find out how much work I need to do to improve my pronunciation. I can read and write simple sentences in Afrikaans and be understood. More complex sentences are harder to for me to write, although I can often understand them fairly well when reading. Since joining this forum I have increased motivation and gotten some new ideas that have helped me improve my Afrikaans vocabulary and reading comprehension. I'm hoping to achieve some level of fluency by next year.

Dutch: Attempted to study Dutch two years ago, but abandoned it as I was more passionate about Afrikaans at that time. I have occasionally studied it since then and due to the many similarities with Afrikaans I can read and understand basic sentences in Dutch with little effort. I struggle a little with the pronunciation because Standaard Nederlands requires making some different sounds than Afrikaans. After I get a better grasp of Afrikaans I will definitely begin seriously studying Dutch next.

Edited by mick33 on 20 November 2008 at 11:38pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 64 of 204
18 November 2008 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Leopejo wrote:
mick33 wrote:

You are not alone.

On the other hand, sometimes you happen to get into contact with some mycoolnickname85 and they always get surprised: "ZOMG, how did you guess that I am 23 yo!?!".

No, I am not implying that you were born in 1933. ;-)

I'm just not very trusting of the internet so I try to limit the amount of personal information I make available. In social situations I usually talk a lot.

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version