Groupie
Canada
Joined 4751 days ago

48 posts - 58 votes 
Studies: German, English*
Studies: French

Message 201 of 222
07 September 2011 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
I think I'll try this out (for a few months or so, maybe more if I'm still interested
later on) once I finish learning the grammar that I believe is essential.

I can see how this would be useful with languages where words don't remind you of
anything, but is this really necessary for languages that share tons of cognates? I'm
pretty sure that if I see "la frustration", I'm not going to draw any blanks as to what
the meaning might be.

I haven't used any wordlists at all (except for 1, mute H's in French), and my vocabulary
seems to be growing on its own. Whenever there is something I am interested in, I find
out that if I bother searching about it online, I don't forget it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4895 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 202 of 222
07 September 2011 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
Dr. POW, of course you don't add words you already understand to the list. :) Just goldlist the words that you don't know.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4795 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 203 of 222
07 September 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
This is a great thread and it looks like the gold list method might be the right thing for me. I will give it a try.

I do not expect it to be a miraculous "teach everything" method and I believe it is more useful to a more advanced student than to a beginner (Actually I'm sure the author himself said something like that somewhere). In the beginnings I do not have much trouble remembering vocabulary from a good textbook where I see it many times in grammar exemples etc, but the trouble comes later. I often struggle with words I am sure I have seen many times but still cannot remember the meaning (even though I can often guess from context) or actively use the word because I haven't properly learnt it.

I use Anki and I plan to use it in combination with GL but unlike Anki, the GL can be carried around and used anywhere. And for me, it should be more comfortable to carry this than piles of paper flashcards. (And I shouldn't be able to make such a chaos of it.)

I believe the handwriting is one of the most important things in any list method. That is a bit unfortunate for me, since I've been cutting down most of my handwriting due to health issues of my wrist (and I can confirm that handwriting is really important when memorising things since I have more troubles with learning then ever before. Even highlightered textbooks and computer can offer limited help only), but I believe these quite small chunks of slow writing might be alright, just as the small chunks are more digestible for memory.

Not starting today, need to finish something before, but I should start in the second half of September. I really like the idea and I don't find any reason to distrust it since there are already several members of this forum who have had a good experience with it. It might not work for me but that can be said about anything.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4895 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 

Message 205 of 222
09 September 2011 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
David, what I do for Mandarin is to write the characters and pronunciation on one line, and on the next characters and meaning. If I know how to pronounce all the characters, I leave out the pronunciation entirely, or put it in parenthesis on the same line as the meaning. If you know many characters already, you may want to skip pronunciation more often.

I think a chengyu goldlist sounds like a very good idea! :)

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4895 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 

Message 207 of 222
10 September 2011 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
Yes, I agree. Huliganov recommends using the goldlist as a supplement to a course, so I would expect that he has already thought of that. I also agree that if the word is common enough to appear in a conversation or exercise, then it is likely to be learned in much the same way as greetings.

I think Huliganov actually mentioned the immersion thing in a blog post of his, but I can't seem to find it again. I agree with you, though. I speak Mandarin several times a week, since I have a close friend who is Chinese, and since I meet many Chinese here. I tend to use a lot of words that are in my short-term memory, and it seems to work fine.

amethyst32
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5435 days ago

118 posts - 198 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, French

Message 208 of 222
11 September 2011 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Well, so far so good. I made 14 head lists over the past 3 weeks with vocabulary and expressions taken from Assimil's Using Spanish and I've just reviewed the first one. I remembered about 7 items quite easily so I made the first distillation with the rest. This method is strangely addictive (I like making lists) so if that's really all there is to it then I can see it giving my Spanish one hell of a boost! However, Spanish is already my strong L2, and while I agree with the others who said it probably wouldn't work as well for beginners, I'm hoping it can do something for my intermediate languages too.

This discussion contains 222 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version