bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5170 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 49 of 222
19 March 2010 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
Woodpecker wrote:
And Arekkusu, I don't know what you meant when you said it takes you all the time just to write the words, so you take a break before actually studying them. Could you elaborate on how you're actually studying? The impression I got was that, other that writing the words and their translations, the only studying one is supposed to do is to read the whole list aloud.

My bad, you're right, there. I suppose the actual full 20 minutes of study only occurs starting with the first distillation.

Still, I need to collect 25 words (which I write down here and there and then put down to a list when there's enough of them), look up the kanji if I learned the word from hearing it, or look up the pitch if I read it. I can hardly do all of this in 20 minutes. Not if I'm "enjoying" myself, anyway. It's great if you have a list ready-made, but if you're learning words as you study, you need time to collect words and gather all the proper information.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5170 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 50 of 222
19 March 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Pyx wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

After all, it's made me sit down and study vocab for 20 mins a day; I've never really
done that before, so there's some good to the method ;)

Not even for Japanese?! :-O

...nope.

They just stuck after having come across them a few times? Including Kanji and all? o_O Any secret tips you'd like to tell me? :D

Well... there's really no other way to put it. I used to have a really good memory, but I can't say that that's still the case, so maybe it has more to do with the way I internalize the new vocabulary I come across. I always imagine myself in a situation where I am using the word in a sentence and in context. Other than that, no secret. If I can't remember it, no biggie; if the word is important, it'll come up again, anyway.

As for kanji, I'm much better at recognizing them than writing them out, I must admit. Which is not a problem if I'm using the computer, of course.

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5524 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 51 of 222
19 March 2010 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Pyx wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Pyx wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

After all, it's made me sit down and study vocab for 20 mins a day; I've never really
done that before, so there's some good to the method ;)

Not even for Japanese?! :-O

...nope.

They just stuck after having come across them a few times? Including Kanji and all? o_O Any secret tips you'd like to tell me? :D

Well... there's really no other way to put it. I used to have a really good memory, but I can't say that that's still the case, so maybe it has more to do with the way I internalize the new vocabulary I come across. I always imagine myself in a situation where I am using the word in a sentence and in context. Other than that, no secret. If I can't remember it, no biggie; if the word is important, it'll come up again, anyway.

As for kanji, I'm much better at recognizing them than writing them out, I must admit. Which is not a problem if I'm using the computer, of course.

Dang, I'm disappointed that your not revealing that grand secret of cours that you surely must have. Or jealous, if you really don't have one :)
Alright then, back to topic. Let us know how that Goldylist-thingy is working out for you as soon as you get some results! :)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5170 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 52 of 222
19 March 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
   Let us know how that Goldylist-thingy is working out for you as soon as you get some results! :)

I'll let you know as soon as I hit the 8000-word mark.

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5524 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 53 of 222
19 March 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Pyx wrote:
   Let us know how that Goldylist-thingy is working out for you as soon as you get some results! :)

Looking forward to your report next week, then!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5170 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 54 of 222
19 March 2010 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Pyx wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Pyx wrote:

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but the method insists that I wait 2 weeks ;)

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5524 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 

Message 55 of 222
19 March 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Pyx wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Pyx wrote:

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but the method insists that I wait 2 weeks ;)

But Woodpecker doesn't! Don't screw with people that'll peck your wood, man! :D

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 56 of 222
19 March 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
You guys just made me spill my wine laughing - good luck to you all tapping 8000 in 2 weeks ;)

Edited by Teango on 19 March 2010 at 5:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 222 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version