Diglot
Germany
Joined 4477 days ago

29 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 89 of 276
27 February 2012 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
After reading the AJATT homepage I've decided to change my mac, iphone and facebook to Japanese. After some weeks, I changed back to English on my mac and iphone, only facebook is still on Japanese. Most sentences there are easy to understand... いいね! :)
But I'm sure it's not helping with my Japanese at all.

1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 90 of 276
29 February 2012 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Hi Kappa!

Thanks for correcting me. It's nice to have some advice from an expert. I have very
little experience speaking or writing Japanese, but I really should start to work on
it. Reading is the only skill I feel reasonably good at.

I will also try looking at some of those links you gave me, and I'm sure my teammates
will find them useful too.

Brun_Ugle, it's interesting to see how you're doing with the Smart.fm words. I'll keep
my open and follow your progress. And, as usual, your log always makes me laugh. And
inspires. That's a magic mix.

Kappa, thank you! Even though you say your English is not so good, I think it's great.
And definitely way better than my Japanese! And thank you so much for these links :)
It's great having a native speaker on board :)

Brun_Ugle, I didn't just hijack your thread, I swear.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 91 of 276
29 February 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Actually, I'm starting to think smart.fm/iKnow is pretty good. At first, I didn't feel like it was working at all, but now I'm about 80% finished with one deck and it finally seems to be sticking. 80% means that I've already seen all the words, but am still working on reviews (kind of like Anki). You see the words for the first time fairly early and after that, it is just reviews. Also the method of reviewing gets harder as you progress, which is probably part of what finally makes the words really stick. Unfortunately, the five free tries you get on the site are really not enough to let you see how it works. I think they should let you do one whole deck for free. I think that would encourage people to pay for it because they would see how well it works. I felt very uncertain of its usefulness until I was quite far along in the process.

I still haven't tried signing up for Facebook, but I suppose that if/when I do, I will use the Japanese version. I really have to go over to using more Japanese. And of course, spending less time here writing about learning, and more time actually doing it.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 92 of 276
29 February 2012 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Prepare for another Heisig rant!!

He’s driving me nuts! How am I supposed to remember the difference between drown and drowning? Or fabricate and fabrication? And then there’s obeisance/obeisant, attack/assault, loose/loosen. Or how about when he called one kanji “interpret” in one addition of book one, then he decided he wanted to use that word for a different kanji in book three, so he wrote a new addition of book one, changing the original kanji. Unfortunately, not all of us have the new addition. He also turned male into man and masculine into male from one addition to another. Or maybe I’ve got that backwards. I suppose I should be glad he didn’t give them a sex change and turn man into woman. And then of course, there are all those trees. I live in Norway. All I need is birch, aspen, spruce and pine. I have no idea what a catalpa is, and zelkova wasn’t even in my big fat dictionary. I had to look it up online (It’s some kind of Japanese tree. Sounds more like a middle-aged Russian lady in a babushka if you ask me). If the word isn’t in the dictionary, I figure I probably don’t need it. If I ever meet Heisig, I might just hang him from a zelkova, if I can figure out what it is.

Anyway, I’ve decide to give up on book 3 for now. I’m going to do the supplement so I know all the jouyou kanji. Then I will learn new kanji as I feel like it or as I encounter them in real life. I already know all his primitives as well as some I’ve made up myself, so it shouldn’t be a problem learning kanji in my own order. Going straight through book three felt like it was doing more harm than good. Not only was I forgetting 15 of 16 new kanji, I was also getting mixed up about the ones I already knew. So I will keep up my reviews, do the supplement, and relax about the rest.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 29 February 2012 at 6:04pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 93 of 276
29 February 2012 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
There's been a lot of folks in the forum who've let loose about Heisig, but this has to be the BEST rant ever! :D I also felt like I wasn't getting anywhere..

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 94 of 276
29 February 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Actually, I thought the first book was great. It's just that the keywords in the third book are often too like each other and too like the ones in the first book. Plus there are so many rather abstract and perhaps fairly useless kanji (like the trees). I've been trying to remember for at least a week now how not to confuse lotus, lotus blossom, and lotus flower.

I'm glad you liked my rant. I had fun writing it.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 95 of 276
01 March 2012 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
It was a good rant. And of course, the trees :)

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 96 of 276
02 March 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

Anyway, I’ve decide to give up on book 3 for now. I’m going to do the supplement so I
know all the jouyou kanji. Then I will learn new kanji as I feel like it or as I
encounter them in real life. I already know all his primitives as well as some I’ve
made up myself, so it shouldn’t be a problem learning kanji in my own order. Going
straight through book three felt like it was doing more harm than good. Not only was I
forgetting 15 of 16 new kanji, I was also getting mixed up about the ones I already
knew. So I will keep up my reviews, do the supplement, and relax about the rest.

I remembered, after reading your post, that someone who has a Japanese learning blog
did discuss a way in which he studied kanji, and using Japanese keywords next to the
English ones. He was able to go through RTK 1 and 3 in this manner. He did mention the
point about getting the English keywords confused after spending some time with kanji
in context, and that's why he resorted to using Japanese keywords instead. I though it
was a pretty interesting idea, and I think I'll give it a shot with my own personal
deck. Plus I believe it serves to increase your Japanese vocabulary as well. So it's a
win-win situation. The site's name is Japanese Level Up, and here's the link to the
article discussing Heisig:

http://japaneselevelup.com/2011/01/29/how-to-use-anki-to-mas ter-japanese-part-1-
kanji/

Hope you find that useful. Maybe it'll encourage you to pick up RTK 3 again at some
point. Keep up the good work!

If there are spaces in the link, remove them.

Edited by Woodsei on 02 March 2012 at 9:26pm

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version