Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 201 of 276
24 September 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
I should have had one of those pencils for work.

I so wish I had a pocket like that so I could find a tool to fix every problem. I guess I'm not a big enough screw-up to have my descendents sending robot cats from the future to help take care of me. Or maybe it's just that I never had kids, so I don't have any descendents.

I found Doraemon very hard when I tried to read it before. Actually, I think Japanese is the one language where children's books are harder than books for adults. There just aren't enough kanji and if your vocabulary isn't high enough, then you won't even know where one word ends and the next begins. And if your vocabulary is high enough for that, then you can probably just read books for adults anyway.

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5794 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 202 of 276
24 September 2012 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Maybe that's partly because of the Heisig effect though? For me it doesn't matter so much because if I don't know a kanji, I might as well have the word in hiragana anyway, either way I'll be stumped! But I agree, working out where words begin and end is quite tricky although it gets easier as you get more used to the work that particles do. I find it interesting how some of the graded readers I own which have a very low number of kanji (because they are aimed at 6 year olds) actually do insert some spaces to help break up sentences.

I've had days at work where a computer pencil would have helped too. But I don't want to end up like the kid who got in trouble for getting 満点!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 203 of 276
24 September 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Well, Heisig helps me to know what things mean when they are in Kanji, but even without Heisig, I think it would be easier with some kanji to break things up. Even now, when there are a bunch of hiragana run together, I sometimes don't know where to divide them up into words. If I have a good understanding of what the sentence means then it's easier. I just try dividing the kana up in different ways and looking them up until I find some words that make sense, but if I can't figure out enough of the sentence, that's hard to do. Particles and commas help, of course. But を is the only particle you can really be sure of. The others could be particles or they could be parts of words. Unless there is a comma, I think it's still hard to tell. In those children's books where they have spacing, it's OK, but manga doesn't usually have that.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 204 of 276
24 September 2012 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 

瓜二つ:うりふたつ:as alike as two melons (two peas in a pod)

It’s Fred and George Weasley, of course!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 205 of 276
26 September 2012 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
After my long summer of laziness including a 3.5 week vacation in the US and a week of no studying, I had a huge pile of reviews in RTK. Today, I finally got to the bottom. There is absolutely nothing in box #1, not even any failed cards, which is very unusual for me.

I have a meeting in half-an-hour, but afterwards, I thought I'd spend a few minutes learning new cards. About 2/3 of my cards are in the last box, so unless I go crazy and learn 100 cards a day like Woodsei, I shouldn't have too many big review sessions in the future.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 206 of 276
27 September 2012 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I think it would be easier with some kanji to break things up

Not surprising Japan not having kanji abolished yet.

Edited by Takato on 27 September 2012 at 12:32pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 207 of 276
28 September 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 

Tee hee!

This one really made me laugh when I came across it in Harry Potter:

社会の窓: しゃかいのまど: (lit. society window): trouser zipper; fly

So remember to keep the window closed when you're out in society ;)

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 208 of 276
01 October 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
I haven’t updated for a while, so I thought I’d give an update for the last 2/3 of September. Since I had quite a few days when I did almost nothing and also took a short break when I really did do nothing, it won’t be much of an update anyway.

Log for 2012.09.09 - 2012.09.30 inclusive

Reading: Time = 25:32.

Listening/movies: Time = 7:39.

iKnow: Time= 11:23.

Other vocab work: Time= 4:28

Writing: Time= 2:22

RTK: Time= 9:09. Caught up on all my reviews and added 109 new kanji.

Textbook, grammar, shadowing, etc.: Time= 2:47

Total for period: 63 hr, 21 min      
Total since start of TAC 2012: 971 hr, 31 min
Total since I started keeping track (2011.11.06): 1165 hr, 53 min

Only 1322 hours, 36 minutes and 46 seconds to go ;-)

I’m thinking of doing a lot of vocabulary work over the next few weeks as I’ve found that it is helping both my reading and listening tremendously. So for a while, vocabulary is going to have priority over everything else. I also want to finish adding all the RTK kanji by the end of October.

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version