Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 49 of 276
18 January 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
How is smart.fm? Would you recommend it? I tried to read a bit about their site, but I'm not sure yet. There is supposed to be a diagnostic on the course page to test your level, but I couldn't find it. Maybe it's only available once you sign up, but it would be nice to know my level ahead of time as it would be easier to judge the usefulness of the site then. I'm considering signing up, but would like to hear about your experiences (and anyone else's if other people have used it) first. Also, I see you get charged for a full month in the month you sign up, no matter how late in the month you sign up, so I will wait until the beginning of Febuary in any case.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 50 of 276
18 January 2012 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
I dropped it when Cerego started charging but I think it's great. They had lists for everything imaginable. It used to be a really fun and creative place to make lists. I'm not sure if Cerego allows you to make your own lists anymore but there's still plenty to do.

I'm sure they've made some great updates since I was there. Here's one of the threads back when it was "iKnow!" I was a big fan of "Brain Speed" and if I ever need smart.fm again that would be a good reason for me to join. This guy at JLPT Boot Camp highly recommends smart.fm's 6000 Core list for the vocabulary needed for N2.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 51 of 276
20 January 2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
My time has definitely gone down a bit these past few days, because I’ve been so tired. My shoulders have been rather tense and given me a headache several times as well.

Log for 2012.01.15-2012.01.19 inclusive

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 2:28. New kanji = 34.

Read the kanji: Time = 1:57.

ANKI: Time = 5:07.

Sentence Mining: Time = 0:47. I’ve started a new project. I realized that my vocabulary is a little haphazard. I know some really uncommon words and am missing some of the common ones. So I found a list of the most frequent words in Japanese and pasted it into excel. It’s supposed to be the 15000 most frequently used words (lemmas), but some of them are things like question marks and single Latin letters, so I take those out. The others I highlight if I feel confident of them. The ones I don’t feel I know well enough, I use the find-function in my net-browser to find sentences for from articles I find interesting. Then I put these into an Anki deck. At first I included this time with Anki above, but now I’ve taken it out. So that 5 hours of Anki is probably more like 4 - 4,5.

Reading: Time = 3:42. When I’m too tired to do “real” studying, I read or watch TV.

LR: Time = 0:23. I’ve been too tired to really bother finding and downloading anything. Plus my internet connection has been really bad lately.

TV/movies: Time = 1:30. It’s hard to watch online when my internet connection doesn’t work.

Real studying: Time = 2:30. This consists of Gloss, my grammar dictionary, and the textbook I’ve decided to start using again. It’s called Advanced Spoken Japanese, but it doesn’t seem all that advanced to me, at least not so far. However, I need the review. And I definitely need to do some listen and repeat as my speaking is really rusty.

Writing: Time = 0:10.

Total for period: 18 hr, 33 min
Total since start of TAC 2012: 76 hr, 2 min
Total since I started keeping track (2011.11.06): 270 hr, 24 min

Edited by Brun Ugle on 20 January 2012 at 7:39am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 52 of 276
26 January 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
I’ve been neglecting my log a bit lately. I went back to work last week after a rather long sick leave. It really shouldn’t have caused my hours to drop so much because I am only working 50% now, but it did. I need to organize my time better. I waste an incredible amount of time. To that end, I got Leech Block to block out this site :-) Of course, I can always cheat and open Internet Explorer if I get really desperate.

Anyway, the drop in hours is almost a little embarrassing. I set my goal for the year at an average of 3:15 hours per day. I wasn’t doing that these past days. I had hoped to work a little extra on the weekend to bring them up, but I fell into an abrupt and quite deep depression. I think what really happened was that I was exhausted from going back to work. I’m not used to having people around me, so it was probably a bit too much. Unfortunately, I never know what I feel until I am alone for a while and can relax. So I wasn’t aware that I was wearing myself out. Hopefully, this week will go better. I’m used to working 12-14 hour days this time of year, so usually, I can handle it. I just have to go back gradually.

Log for 2012.01.20-2012.01.25 inclusive

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 2:54. New kanji = 34. I’ve finally learned the all-important kanji for autochthonous. I tried looking it up (in English) in three dictionaries before I realized that Heisig had done me the great favor of misspelling it as authochthonous. (That’s sarcasm in case you missed it.)

Read the kanji: Time = 2:42.

ANKI review: Time = 5:00.

Sentence Mining: Time = 1:05.

Reading: Time = 3:51.

Real studying: Time = 1:40. Hmm. That wasn’t much. My only excuse is that I was exhausted.

Total for period: 17 hr, 12 min
Total since start of TAC 2012: 93 hr, 14 min
Total since I started keeping track (2011.11.06): 287 hr, 37 min

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 53 of 276
26 January 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

Audio only: Time = 1:01 Not many walks this week. Also, I think it might
be time to find something else to listen to. The question is what.

Have you heard of Keyhole TV? I stumbled across the site when I was searching for
Japanese resources (I don't remember how I got there), but it has both local Japanese
TV and radio channels. I know you have a fickle internet connection, but I imagine
it would be of tremendous help when your connection's up! Here's the link:

Keyhole TV

Good luck! You're doing great there! And I loved your rant about the Heisig trees :D
I agree! :)

Edited by Woodsei on 26 January 2012 at 9:40am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 54 of 276
26 January 2012 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
I have tried Keyhole TV, but I never seem to find anything I feel like watching. Also the screen really is about the size of a keyhole. Now I prefer dramas. There is a site for them on my links page (pg 1), but they have English subs. I'm looking for some with Japanese subs if anyone knows of any.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5794 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 55 of 276
26 January 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
3 hours a day is a demanding target for somebody who is working. On a good week I get in around 2 hours a day but even this isn't sustainable if I am busy/ill/tired. I think as long as you still manage to get regular study in while adjusting to your new routine, you'll be doing just fine.

I'm quite fond of podcasts for random listening practice. I put itunes on the Japanese country setting and get things at random, although I tend to focus on content provided by radio stations as the production and sound quality tends to be better.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 56 of 276
26 January 2012 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Yep, Keyhole TV is a pain to watch, but for random listening, I guess it's
pretty alright. And like g-bod mentioned, you could try setting your iTunes to Japanese
and listening randomly to podcasts, since they sound way better.. I do that too. I
personally love dramas, anime, and movies more though, like you do. I haven't come
across any sites yet where I can see Japanese subs on the screen, but D-addicts, a site
that has subs in English, Japanese, and a handful of other languages, has a really huge
and great resource of these.You may not be able to upload subs to the video when
streaming online, but it can be really handy if you download the subtitles, tweak them
so you can easily read them, and maybe print them out. Words that interest me and some
that I posted in my own log were really possible because I was able to find them there.
And since they have English and Japanese, I got this crazy idea that one could also do
some sort of modified L-R for spoken Japanese rather than literature. I kind of got
that idea when I stumbled across the site and saw the subtitle indexes. Just some
thoughts   
:)

Here's the link to the subtitle index on D-addicts:

D-addicts Subtitle Index

Also, one thing I find that works for me, in regards to study time, is that I don't try
to set myself any lengthy time goals to meet, because usually I won't, and then I'll
feel really guilty and depressed. You could set minimal time goals, like, say,
at least 20 minutes of Japanese today, once a day, or here and there. 20 minutes is
doable. Or even better, just have the intention of going through a few pages of L-R, or
some Anki, without really measuring how long it would take you to do them. Usually when
I jump into studying, I worry about getting a specific amount done rather than a time
limit I should meet, and I keep in mind that it doesn't have to be all in one go, but
interspersed throughout the day. My two cents....

I hope that helps. Best of luck to you :)

Edited by Woodsei on 26 January 2012 at 7:48pm

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version