Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 121 of 276
30 April 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I wrote something in Japanese with a translation in English. Then I carefully counted the words in the Japanese. It came out to 75, which by some coincidence was exactly the same as the English. I then used Word to count the characters and multiplied by 0.45. It came out to 76.5. So it was very close. I think I will try this several times on what I write the first few weeks and see how close it is. I doubt that I will write so much that counting the words will be a problem.

1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 122 of 276
01 May 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
The parser is great. (The first one. I couldn't make the second one
work at all.) It did just fine with kanji too. However, I don't see any way to make it
count the words. If it doesn't count them, then we would have to count by hand, which
would quickly get tiresome. Do you know a way to count without counting?

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that it isn't so could with verbs. It divided できません 
into 3 words でき ませ ん, います into two いま す and 取り組んで also into two 取り組ん で.
So I think the word count would still be way off.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I believe it's mainly for parsing grammatical forms, which is
really nifty, but words...the thing is, I noticed that if I read an English word,
sometimes it's equivalent is something like 2-3 words, so maybe word count goes
differently in Japanese. I may be wrong because my Japanese is just still so
rudimentary, but I think if you count the words, you'd have to include the tenses with
it too. Like できません as one word, for example. I read somewhere on the AJATT blog that
for the same word with different tenses, you should treat each conjugation as an
entirely new word. Hmmm....Wait, that was when he was talking about grammar. I'll have
to look into it and give you a heads up when I find something.

Yeah the first parser was easy to use. I didn't like the second one at all, too.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 123 of 276
02 May 2012 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
SUPER CHALLENGE

So far, I've watched one movie, read three chapters in HP3, and written one entry on lang-8 that is too short to count as one essay.

I figure, I will give the same reviews here are on my blog. Here is the first:

となりのトトロ (Tonari no Totoro) «My Neighbor Totoro»

I think most people, at least Japanese learners, are probably already familiar with this film, but I figured I’d give it a review anyway.

It is an animated film from the well-known director Hayao Miyazaki. The story takes place in rural Japan in the late 50’s. The setting is fantastic. Everything is beautifully drawn and the surroundings seem so peaceful and magical. In the beginning, two girls, Satsuki (age 10) and Mei (age 4), are moving there with their father. Their mother is in a hospital nearby and remains there throughout the story.

They move into a rundown house that seems to have strange, small, soot-sprites living in it. These creatures leave when the house is opened and cleaned. One day Mei sees some tiny, pointy-eared spirits and follows them into the woods where she meets a large spirit whom she calls Totoro. Her father tells her it is the guardian of the forest.

When Satsuki and Mei go to meet their father at the bus stop one rainy evening, Totoro shows up. Satsuki loans him an umbrella. After a while a cat-like bus appears and Totoro gets on and rides away.

One day, their mother is supposed to come for a visit, but becomes too sick. Satsuki is afraid she will die and has an argument with Mei who is too young to understand. Mei runs away to visit her mother at the hospital and gets lost. Everyone is desperately trying to find her. Satsuki at last goes to the tree where Totoro lives and begs him for help. He calls the cat-bus and it takes Satsuki to find Mei and then takes them both to the hospital so they can see that their mother is all right.

I love this movie and have already watched it several times. The story and setting are magical. The countryside is realistically drawn and the sounds of the insects and frogs make me feel like I’m really there. The setting makes it seem like these things really are possible.

For learners of Japanese, this can be a good place to start. Since two of the main characters are children, their sentences are often fairly short and simple which makes it easier to understand. Baachan (Granny) with her dialect and lack of teeth can be a little difficult, but even then, I was able to understand a bit.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 124 of 276
03 May 2012 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Time to eat a little crow and admit that Heisig was right :-0

Yes indeed. He was right. I see those RTK3 kanji all over the place, even in kids’ books like Harry Potter. EVEN THE TREES!

So I will go back to studying with Heisig. I think I was having a kanji overload before, but my reviews are down to a comfortable level now, so I will start up with studying kanji again. First, I will go through the Jou You supplement since I never finished that. Then I will continue where I left off in RTK3. Maybe I should go a little more slowly this time, but I will try to make it through.

I can’t believe it. Even the trees!!!

Edited by Brun Ugle on 03 May 2012 at 8:35am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 125 of 276
06 May 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
Log for 2012.04.29 - 2012.05.05 inclusive

The Super Challenge has begun, and I’m reading all the time, as is reflected in this update. I should probably try to squeeze in some more in other areas to maintain a reasonably good balance.

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 1:58. Added 21 new kanji.

Read the kanji: Time = 1:00.

Reading: Time = 34:29.

Listening/movies: Time = 1:26.

iKnow: Time= 7:34.

Writing: Time = 00:12.

Total for period: 46 hr, 39 min
Total since start of TAC 2012: 458 hr, 4 min
Total since I started keeping track (2011.11.06): 652 hr, 26 min

Only 1836 hours, 3 minutes and 46 seconds to go ;-)

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4513 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 126 of 276
07 May 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Your level of detail keeps surprising me. In everything you do: Counting the seconds you spend using things, counting the words you've read - I think I'd be unable to do that.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 127 of 276
07 May 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
Counting seconds is easy since I use a stop watch. It's kind of silly to have the "time to go" thing since it's just a number I made up based on sort of averaging the FSI and the JLPT-test estimates combined with my own estimate of how much I've done. In other words, it consists entirely of estimation and guesses and is totally meaningless. I just include it for fun.

Counting the words I write is a temporary thing. It's almost impossible to count words in Japanese since it is all run together and since there isn't perfect agreement on what constitutes a word. When you write in Word, which I do, you get a character count. I count the actual words by hand and then find a ratio. I figure I will do this for 10-20 times and in the future just take an average of this ratio and multiply that number by the number of characters to get an estimate of the number of words. Once I start writing longer entries, counting words by hand would probably drive me batty.

I don't count the number of words I read, by the way, but I figure you meant writing. I do try to estimate my reading speed to see how much it improves over time. But that's easy since I already keep track of the number of hours I read using Excel. So then I can just look at how many pages were in the book and calculate how long it took me per page.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 07 May 2012 at 5:01pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 128 of 276
09 May 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
I'm still struggling my way through Harry Potter. If I didn't know the story before, I think it would be really hard, but since I know it, it isn't so bad, just slow. I think by the time I get through all seven books, I should be able to read unfamiliar books (at least on the YA level) without too much trouble.

Because of all the reading, I'm not using nearly as much time on iKnow as before, but I still do a little everyday and it is a great help. I keep noticing words that I've learned there when I'm reading Harry Potter. They were probably used many times before in the book, without me noticing. (I don't worry about unknown words since I am still able to follow the story.) But as soon as I learn a new word, it seems to pop up everywhere.

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version