Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 41 of 276
12 January 2012 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
16 hours in three days?! wow!   That sounds like a good Anki method. I think I'm only doing "recognition" at this point. That recall technique sounds pretty efficient -- I may have to try that! How many Anki cards do you have?

Edited by Sunja on 12 January 2012 at 2:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 42 of 276
12 January 2012 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Actually it was four days since both the 8th and the 11th are included. So it's only about 4 hours a day which really doesn't come to that much when you consider I'm on a sick leave right now and have very little else to do. So, we'll see how much I can really do when I get back to work. I imagine it might be more like half that.

I only have about 1100 cards in the decks that I currently have open. I am quick to get rid of decks that I find aren't so helpful. And of course, since my cards go both ways, 1100 cards means only 550 sentences. However, I also have some decks I downloaded that only have recognition cards. It goes quicker with them since I don't have to write anything, but I find I have more trouble recalling characters in other contexts and of course, a lot of trouble writing them if I haven't done recall cards.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 43 of 276
12 January 2012 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if it is any use to anyone, but I found a site for Japanese reading materials today. It has materials for different levels. The more stars next to a story, the harder it is. Most of the important words in the stories have links to a glossary that sits on the right-hand side of the page, so you can easily look them up. You can choose if you want the glossary in English, German or Japanese. The Japanese one has some English together with the Japanese, so it's not as hard as it sounds.

I haven't read much of it, but I thought it might be useful especially for those who are just starting to read and would like materials graded to a suitable level.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 44 of 276
13 January 2012 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I only have about 1100 cards in the decks that I currently have open. I am quick to get rid of decks that I find aren't so helpful. And of course, since my cards go both ways, 1100 cards means only 550 sentences. However, I also have some decks I downloaded that only have recognition cards. It goes quicker with them since I don't have to write anything, but I find I have more trouble recalling characters in other contexts and of course, a lot of trouble writing them if I haven't done recall cards.

I have about 800, but it's not all Japanese. I'm eager to get to where you are (over 1,000) because the more cards I have means the more I'm reading and processing kanji! I have about 100 cards that are just words (Turkish) and those really don't work out very well. I don't see some words for weeks and then I'm expected to remember them when they pop up -- they are permanent "don't knows". So I also try to delete all non-helpful cards.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 45 of 276
13 January 2012 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
It's definitely good to have some redundancy in Anki. That is, it's good to have the same vocabulary words in more than one sentence. This happens naturally over time. It's also best that each sentence not have too many completely new words.

I also find that kanji readings stick better when I see them in more than one compound. Learning readings has a sort of cumulative effect. When you see a compound where you already know one of the kanji, the other is much easier to remember. Then you see that one another place and remember it even better. It's a hard slog to start learning the readings, but it actually seems to go faster and faster with time. Eventually, of course, it will slow down again when you start to run out of new things to learn. I imagine that's a long way off for me though.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 46 of 276
13 January 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
I am now exactly halfway through my N3 deck on the Read the Kanji website! Now that they've fixed the review algorithm again, it looks like I'm back on track to be finished this deck by my target date of 23.02.12.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 47 of 276
15 January 2012 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
Log for 2012.01.12-2012.01.14 inclusive

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 1:41. New kanji = 19. The kanji in RTK3 are really hard for some reason. Even though I’m only learning 6 or 7 per day, it seems almost as hard as when I was learning 30 RTK1 kanji per day. They just seem so hard to make stories for. The stories other people have made on the Reviewing the Kanji site are not very good either, so I think everyone struggles with these. There also seem to be fewer people who go through RTK3 compared to RTK1.

Read the kanji: Time = 1:25.

ANKI: Time = 3:25.

Reading: Time = 2:18. Note that reading doesn’t always mean understanding. I get the major points, but there are a lot of details I miss.

LR: Time = 0:48. I’ve been lazy about this.

Other listening: Time = 3:27. I finished Erin. It’s almost a little sad. I’d gotten used to her and her friends.

Grammar: Time = 0:36. I only do about 6 pages per day.

Total for period: 13 hr, 40 min
Total since start of TAC 2012: 57 hr, 29 min
Total since I started keeping track (2011.11.06): 251 hr, 52 min

It might seem like I study a lot, but about a third of that time is fun stuff like reading and watching TV and movies. I am so happy to get to a point where I can “study” by having fun. However, when I feel a little better, I think I should add in a textbook. I still feel a little shaking on many grammar points and think that proper work and drilling should help.

I am going back to work on Monday, so my numbers might decrease a little, but I will still be on a 50% sick leave for a while, so it might not be so bad. It depends on how much work exhausts me.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 15 January 2012 at 9:54am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 48 of 276
18 January 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
The kanji in RTK3 are really hard for some reason. Even though I’m only learning 6 or 7 per day, it seems almost as hard as when I was learning 30 RTK1 kanji per day. They just seem so hard to make stories for. The stories other people have made on the Reviewing the Kanji site are not very good either, so I think everyone struggles with these. There also seem to be fewer people who go through RTK3 compared to RTK1.

I've used the "Core 2000" at smart.fm (Cerego) and it's a breeze compared to the Core 2000-4000. The words start to get so abstract it's really difficult!

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version