brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 105 of 276
17 April 2012 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
Yahoo! Yippee!

The rest of my Harry Potter books came from Amazon today! If I stack all seven, the stack is 27,5 cm or just under 11 inches tall. That's a lot of reading material!

I've already read the first two, so I'm very eager to begin the third. I'm trying to wait until the start of the Super Challenge though. I'm not sure Harry Potter is really the right choice since they are so long, but they will all count as two books since they are over 500 pages, so maybe it will be OK anyway.

In anticipation of the challenge, I've been rereading some of my favorite chapters from books one and two and timing myself. It comes out to about 5 minutes per page. I've then calculated (I calculate EVERYTHING) what this means in terms of hours of reading. Assuming I can maintain a rate of 5 min/pg, which isn't likely since most books are harder than Harry Potter: If I read only books of 101 pages (the minimum length to be considered as 1 book), I will need to spend 1.4 hours a day reading. If I only read books of 499 pages (the maximum length to be considered as 1 book), I will need to read for 6.9 hours a day. That's more than a full-time job (remember it includes weekends)! Of course, neither extreme is very likely and I will probably end up somewhere in the middle. Still, even 4 hours or so will be difficult. Especially since I need to take time out for watching 100 movies and for actually studying Japanese and I might even want to go to work, exercise, make dinner and eat it, sleep ......

But, what's a challenge if it isn't challenging? And it will certainly be that. -- And hopefully fun too :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5794 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 106 of 276
17 April 2012 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Yeah sometimes I think I spend too much time calculating and not enough time actually getting on with studying. I've even tried calculating how long it might take to finish with my textbooks, but I think I'm always a bit too hopeful with my calculations (and too disorganised with my actual study) as I always end up spending many more days than I expect.

I think if I pick a lot of "easy" books to start with (large font, lots of pictures, just over 100 pages) then maybe if I read a minimum of one hour a day I might have a chance of making it. Some of the tadoku challenge regulars seem to be able to read ridiculous amounts of pages after all (although I wonder if they do anything else in the challenge periods). I'm really excited about giving it a go though!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 107 of 276
18 April 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
After bowing to peer pressure, I've made my own Super Challenge Blog. (But Mom! Everyone else was doing it!)

Now I have a big question for my fellow bloggers. Many of you have a neat little counter thingy for counting how many books and films you've done. How do you do that??? I've spend hours today working on my blog and I've got most of it fixed reasonably well, but even though I searched and searched, I couldn't find out how to add one of those thingies.

EDIT: Never mind. I already got help. It was easier than I thought.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 19 April 2012 at 4:37pm

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 108 of 276
19 April 2012 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
It'll be interesting following your blog, Brun_Ugle! I'm about to crack under the blog
pressure too.... I think it's neat!

Work always has its issues, and it seems that your boss and counselor aren't exactly the
supportive type. Unfortunately, like Sunja said, it's an employer's world nowadays. It's
very tough, but I'm sure you'll find a way through eventually.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 109 of 276
22 April 2012 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
I’m still waiting rather impatiently for the Super Challenge to begin so I can read the third Harry Potter book. I haven’t read much this week because I’m trying to save everything for the challenge, but it’s hard waiting.

Log for 2012.04.15 - 2012.04.21 inclusive

I really have to learn some time-management. I don’t know how I do it, but out of a 16 hour day (waking hours) I usually only manage 3-4 hours of study. Of course there is making and eating food, exercising and occasional shopping for more food, but that can’t take 12 hours! I’ve decided to move my e-mail, facebook, this forum, etc to a different tab on my browser. This tab has only study stuff on it. I’ll see if that helps.

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 3:35.

Read the kanji: Time = 3:35.

Reading: Time = 5:51.

iKnow: Time= 10:31.

Total for period: 21 hr, 42 min
Total since start of TAC 2012: 379 hr, 26 min
Total since I started keeping track (2011.11.06): 573 hr, 49 min
Only 1914 hours, 41 minutes and 28 seconds to go ;-)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 110 of 276
22 April 2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:
It'll be interesting following your blog, Brun_Ugle! I'm about to crack under the blog
pressure too.... I think it's neat!

Go on. Start a blog.......You know you want to...............

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 111 of 276
26 April 2012 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Although this is called the “Total Annihilation Challenge” I’m starting to realize that I’m not going to be able to “annihilate” Japanese this year. However, I think I can manage to butcher it, leaving it cut and bleeding and begging for mercy.

To that end, I have gotten an account on lang-8 where I should be able to butcher Japanese, if not massacre it. As part of my Super Challenge I will write 100 “essays,” or more likely, short, awkward, nonsensical diary entries. I’m waiting until the Challenge starts in May to begin writing. So far I’m just correcting other people. I think, to be fair, one should try to correct at least as many as one writes, so I’m trying to get a bit of a head start on correcting before May.

If you are the type who slows down to look at car accidents, and you wish to observe my mutilation of the Japanese language, here is my account. Enjoy the bloodbath.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5897 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 112 of 276
27 April 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
You're so much better at keeping tabs on your study time than I am! I've been following the SuperChallenge-twitter-bot-thing and I noticed that you and dandt have started reading. The bot responses are a little vague and I'm curious: are you guys keeping track of pages or just letting the bot know you're in the middle of a book with X-page numbers?

I haven't figured out at what intervals to log in my reading progress, although in my case the books are only 50 pages! I'll have to read them many times each..

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version