Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 153 of 276
03 July 2012 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
This is also published on my blog

Tokyo Sonata (w/o subs)

I had been intending to watch this in my usual way -- w/o subs, w/subs, w/o subs, but life got in the way and I only managed to see it once before having to return it to the library. It’s from a library in another town, so I only borrow movies from there if I know I’m going back within a week and can return them, so it will be a while before I can borrow it again.

Anyway, here is my guess as to what it was about. It’s from 2008 when the economic crisis hit. It’s about a guy who loses his apparently very good job. He’s ashamed of being out of work, so every day he puts on his suit and acts like he’s going to work when he’s actually going to the employment office. Meanwhile a burglar breaks into his house and finding that there is no money, kidnaps his wife instead. She has several opportunities to escape, but chooses not to. I got the impression that she was trying to get away from her life and start fresh. Anyway, the man and his wife both die. Before dying they both say, “I want to do it over.” A little while later, they get up and eat dinner. Some other people died too, but they didn’t get up to eat dinner afterwards (presumably they weren’t all that hungry).

If I get the chance to watch it over, I might actually figure out what it’s about and will be able to give it a proper review.
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 154 of 276
10 July 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
I just discovered something odd. I accidentally highlighted a sentence written in English on one of these logs. Suddenly, a Japanese translation popped up. I have no idea why that happened. It's never done that before. Perhaps it's some feature that came when I updated Firefox? Or is it some bright idea my computer thought up? My computer knows I'm learning Japanese, so it's been really "helpful" before by suddenly changing things like Google and Youtube to Japanese. (Facebook I had to change back to Norwegian. It's hard enough without being in a foreign language.) It even gives me lots of results in Japanese when I search on Google even if the search term is in Norwegian or English, which it usually is.

Anyway, this new feature is really neat. Of course, it makes a bit of a hash of the translation, but one can get some idea about vocabulary if one ignores the strange grammar. On short sentences it did fairly well, but the long ones were quite strange.

By the way, it took me a moment to figure out how to get out of it when the sentence was showing. Clicking on something else didn't work. You have to press Esc first and then click.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 10 July 2012 at 8:24am

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4860 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 155 of 276
13 July 2012 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I accidentally highlighted a sentence written in English on one of these logs. Suddenly, a Japanese translation popped up. [...] Perhaps it's some feature that came when I updated Firefox?

When I first used Inline Translator (an add-on for Firefox), it translated the highlighted words from Vietnamese to English. Then I didn't use it for a while. After that, I enabled it once more and I couldn't really exit from the translated text, either. It doesn't seem to be always working, maybe it's page encoding dependent? So I think you might have installed Inline Translator some time ago and it didn't work in some versions of Firefox then it started to work again in the currect version. Just guessing.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 156 of 276
14 July 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
I've never installed any kind of inline translator, but this effect came after I installed Rikaisama, so maybe it's got something to do with that. However, I didn't have Rikaisama turned on at the time, so maybe not.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 157 of 276
15 July 2012 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
I’ll be leaving for the US soon, so I don’t know how much studying or updating I will be able to do for the next 4 weeks or so. So if I disappear for a while, don’t worry. I’ll be back.

I haven’t done a great deal of studying these 2 weeks either. I’ve been trying to figure out what to pack and what I want to buy while I’m there. Everything in the US is so incredibly cheap, that I do a lot of my clothes shopping there, so I’m trying to decide what I need to get. I also need to figure out how to minimize what I take so that my suitcases can be as empty as possible going down so I can fill them up there.

Not only is the US cheap, but there is also a better selection of clothes that fit me. Unlike a lot of Norwegian woman, I have hips and thighs. Also, I’m not really good a picking out clothes. So my sister picks them out for me. When I go into a store, it’s just a chaos of color to me. It’s even worse if there is music playing because I can’t separate it out from all the colors. Now I understand that that is because of my autism. Anyway, enough about clothes and my lack of fashion sense.

I discovered something interesting while reading Einarr’s blog. I probably knew this from learning Norwegian, but had forgotten it. He had a link to a trailer for a Danish movie, so I watched it. Written Danish is very similar to Norwegian, so reading isn’t much of a problem, but the spoken language is very different in pronunciation and gives many people a bit of difficulty. Anyway, I’ve never been particularly good at understanding spoken Danish. However, while listening to the trailer, I found that every time I tried to understand, I couldn’t. But as soon as I relaxed and didn’t try to listen, I understood everything. I think that’s a big problem for me in Japanese. I listen too hard. I need to stop straining to catch the words and just let them flow past. Of course, my understanding will still not be as good as Danish because of the lack of vocabulary, but I imagine it will improve a lot anyway. Too bad I won’t have a chance to try it out until I get back from the US. But when I do, I think I will have a movie marathon and see if I can “stop listening.” I found with the Danish, that looking away helped.

Log for 2012.07.01 - 2012.07.14 inclusive

Reading: Time = 35:30. I finished Harry Potter 5 and am reading manga until I leave. I thought manga would be very easy, but although it goes faster than HP, I wouldn’t call it easy. I will be taking HP6 with me. That might be a bit ambitious, but then again, I’ll be living with my parents, so I’ll probably be bored out of my mind if I don’t have something to read.

Listening/movies: Time = 1:06. I listened to a bit of Harry Potter again (just some of the fun parts.) I wanted to try to find out why that was so easy and movies so hard for me to understand. Part of it is of course because I already know HP, but I think part of it is what I wrote about above. I don’t listen so hard. The first time I listened a long time ago, I listened while taking a walk. So half my mind or at least a quarter was on the walk, meaning I wasn’t listening too hard to understand.

iKnow: Time= 13:13.

RTK: Time= 4:07. I’ve been trying to get my reviews under control again after ignoring this for weeks.

Total for period: 53 hr, 56 min
Total since start of TAC 2012: 764 hr, 42 min
Total since I started keeping track (2011.11.06): 959 hr, 4 min

Only 1529 hours, 25 minutes and 46 seconds to go ;-)

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5794 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 158 of 276
15 July 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
I have noticed a similar thing with listening in Japanese. I have found myself watching TV shows, relaxed and laughing along at the jokes, and then I'll think "hang on a minute, this is Japanese" and suddenly it becomes harder to understand again.

Enjoy your trip to the US, and good luck with the clothes shopping. I find it a nightmare too, hips and thighs just don't go well with fashion. I guess that's why most supermodels seem to have the figures of boys.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 159 of 276
15 July 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I have noticed a similar thing with listening in Japanese. I have found myself watching TV shows, relaxed and laughing along at the jokes, and then I'll think "hang on a minute, this is Japanese" and suddenly it becomes harder to understand again.

I envy you being able to watch shows and follow enough to understand jokes. I usually only understand a word or two. Fortunately, I can enjoy a movie without understanding the words. It's kind of weird. You wouldn't think a movie would be any fun at all if you couldn't understand it.

I kind of notice the same thing with reading actually. If I get hung up on a word or sentence I don't understand it gets difficult, but if I just keep going without worrying about it, then I can read for enjoyment and have little or no problem with comprehension. (At least with Harry Potter.)

Another thing with books, is if I put them down, when I go back, it usually takes me 15 minutes to get back into them. So it's better to wait until I have time to read for a few hours than to try to read any time I have a few spare moments. I think maybe that might be true for movies as well. That's why I'm thinking of doing a marathon.

g-bod wrote:
Enjoy your trip to the US, and good luck with the clothes shopping. I find it a nightmare too, hips and thighs just don't go well with fashion. I guess that's why most supermodels seem to have the figures of boys.

There's actually one that is a boy. Most models starve themselves so they have no breasts anyway, so that's not a problem. He just starves himself like they do and he looks just like any other model.

I really don't understand why clothes are made to fit only models instead of regular people. You'd think that since most people can't fit into them, the manufacturers wouldn't be able to sell them and why would anyone do that? If you can't sell things, you can't make money.

Everyone thinks that Norwegian women are tall and thin, but actually, they just have a different fat distribution pattern than Celts and southern Europeans. We tend to put fat on in the hips and thighs, while they tend to put more in the middle. When I go to the gym, of course I see plenty of tall skinny 18-year-olds that fit the stereotype, but there are also a lot who look like Sponge Bob on stilts. (Rather large women with toothpick legs.)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 160 of 276
15 July 2012 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I really don't understand why clothes are made to fit only models instead of regular people. You'd think that since most people can't fit into them, the manufacturers wouldn't be able to sell them and why would anyone do that? If you can't sell things, you can't make money.

The catch is simple: most people are stupid enough to think they'll look like the models just like that, then the few who realize the clothes don't fit them (oh vicarious shame!) try to adapt (themselves, not the clothes!). Another marketing victory, yes!!!

As to why make clothes that fit a small demographic like models and not most people in the first place, I'll let you in a little secret: they save more in fabrics than they need invest in marketing.

/cynicism off ;)

Quote:
Everyone thinks that Norwegian women are tall and thin, but actually...

The one I have met for sure(*) failed two out of two, but who cares?

I think most women are awfully insecure about their looks, and ironically most of those who aren't don't look like women either. So sad...

(*)I have met other Nordic women in the past, but I found them so unremarkable that I don't even remember where they were from.

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version