Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4874 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 185 of 276
15 September 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Since this is hard-wired into my brain, I can't do much about it.

I see. Can't you reprogram your brain? I know it's not as fast as rewriting some stuff on a hard drive, but I met the idea of wires being dissoluted and redone in a "better" way in a longer time, this way burning the "good" program to one's brain in a month. (like using the brain-code writing program each day to let it burn gradually to the brain)

Also, I don't want to say bad things. Here are some facts:
- a therapist doesn't earn too much money if he/she heals a patient in one week, so if he/she doesn't intend to really heal them then they can get more money, since the unhealed patient needs to come back
- if a self-help audio book is good, many people buy it
- if a self-help audio book is bad, people don't really buy it
- the TV - but a great load of other stuff as well - likes if people are mesmerized to give away their money (but not only to give away their money)

So, you take what you want to take from it. The self-help audio book I tried was weird. My eyes were moving like I was sleeping. ._. So I guess they work with the subconscious.

Edited by Takato on 15 September 2012 at 2:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6446 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 186 of 276
15 September 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:

Brun Ugle wrote:

Since this is hard-wired into my brain, I can't do much about it.

I see. Can't you reprogram your brain? I know it's not as fast as rewriting some stuff on a hard drive, but I met the idea of wires being dissoluted and redone in a "better" way in a longer time, this way burning the "good" program to one's brain in a month. (like using the brain-code writing program each day to let it burn gradually to the brain)

Also, I don't want to say bad things. Here are some facts:
- a therapist doesn't earn too much money if he/she heals a patient in one week, so if he/she doesn't intend to really heal them then they can get more money, since the unhealed patient needs to come back
- if a self-help audio book is good, many people buy it
- if a self-help audio book is bad, people don't really buy it
- the TV - but a great load of other stuff as well - likes if people are mesmerized to give away their money (but not only to give away their money)

So, you take what you want to take from it. The self-help audio book I tried was weird. My eyes were moving like I was sleeping. ._. So I guess they work with the subconscious.

By hard-wired I mean that autism is caused by some kind of damage to the brain and these traits are related to that damage. I don't think I can fix it anymore than I can learn to "see" faces (I have prosopagnosia), which is probably related to the same brain damage.

Therapists here are paid by the state, so that isn't a problem and as I said these aren't things that can be healed, all she can do is help me with various things in my life. For example, next week she is going with me to the employment office to meet with them and with someone from a company that might help me to get a new job.

Anyway, I like those kinds of audiobooks too and also self-hypnosis. It helps somewhat with some things, but not really with things that are so ingrained in me.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 15 September 2012 at 3:28pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6446 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 187 of 276
15 September 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I've been feeling stressed, anxious, depressed, etc. this past week or so. So I've decided to do like g-bod and take a break. But unlike g-bod, I won't do anything crazy like taking up German. I will spend my time drinking tea and reading comic books and other trash in a language I understand. If I feel like doing something in Japanese, I will. Otherwise, I will vegetate and allow my mind to turn to mush. I don't know if I will stop in here either. I think it might be a good idea to take a break from everything. So, good-bye for now. I will probably be back in a week or too.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5221 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 188 of 276
15 September 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 

If you need something to help turn your brain to mush, you should check out Korean dramas. Here and here are good places to chill out with zero brain power. =)

I hope you feel better soon...

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6446 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 189 of 276
22 September 2012 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
I’M BACK!!! New and improved!

I’ve spent my days off cleaning, or rather sorting through my apartment. I still have boxes full of junk everywhere. I need to decide what to get rid of and how to get rid of it. And also watching my Big Bang Theory dvd’s. I have the first four seasons and am still waiting for season 5 to come out toward the end of October. (So no spoilers!) And I read through all my old Billy (Beetle Bailey) comic books. He’s very popular in Norway. There are other series in the Billy comics of course, and most of them are fun too: Betty, Tundra, Hagar the Horrible….

I just had a meeting Friday with my therapist, a lady from the employment agency and a lady from a kind of company that helps people with difficulties to get jobs. They help them with various things including learning to write CV’s and go on interviews and even work on finishing their education. In my case, I don’t need that kind of thing, but they will map my abilities and needs while I work there for them. It feels like a bit of a setback or a defeat, but I have to just “bite i det sure eplet” (lit. bite the sour apple = swallow the bitter pill?) and accept it and move on with my life. Who knows? I might end up with an even better job in the end.

Anyway, I’ve gotten my books from White Rabbit and am thinking of getting to work on them. I will be trying out the textbook J301 with accompanying CD. I won’t try to push myself too hard on this though. I’m afraid of burning out if I try to force myself to do too much textbook work. On the other hand, I feel like it could be nice to be hand-fed a little for a while.

I also got a book with CD for shadowing. The book recommends doing 10 minutes a day and I don’t think I will do much more than that. I notice that after a short time, my brain gets confused and my mind wanders. I will still be using iknow of course. I do some shadowing with that too.

I also thought I should try to better my handwriting before my bad habits get too ingrained, if they aren’t already. So I got books for writing with both ballpoint and brush as well as a brush pen to practice with.

I will of course also continue with reviewing the kanji and learning new ones, staring with the supplement which I’m maybe half-way done already, and then continuing from where I left off in RTK3.

In addition, I’ve been reading some of Iversen’s posts and I feel that we have many similarities in learning style. So I am going to give some of his techniques a try. In particular, I’ve considered trying wordlists (see also here), and his method of literal translations. I can’t find the link right now, but it basically entails copying directly from a text and then writing the translation word for word in a literal manner. If you’ve ever read Mangajin (a magazine from the 90’s which is no longer being published, but they did make some collections which might still be possible to find), they also used this style. I’ve done it myself, but not for a long time. So my intention is to start doing it again as I think it will greatly improve my understanding of and ability to use the grammar. My plan is to copy out portions of HP combining it with the scriptorium technique of reading the sentence aloud, copying it while saying each sound as you go and then reading it aloud again. I plan to write it out in such a way that line 1 is the Japanese from the book, line 2 under that is my literal translation, and line 3 under that is the English version from the original book. That way I can see and compare. That’s one of the reasons I want to use HP; I have both the English and the Japanese so that I can compare the Japanese both with a literal word-by-word translation and with proper English. I will also use my grammar dictionaries to make careful inspections of the grammar. I only have the beginning and intermediate dictionary, but I will get the advanced one next time I order.

I will also of course continue using lang-8, watching dramas/movies, and reading manga, HP and diverse other books.

And I will continue taking it easy for a while since my life will remain in upheaval for a while as I try to start working again at a new place while being observed and evaluated, and everything will probably be very nerve-wracking for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 22 September 2012 at 10:07am

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5808 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 190 of 276
22 September 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back!

Hope everything works out for you with the employment agency. It's tough stepping out into the unknown, but getting out there and trying things out means you have a chance of ending up with a better job and possibly in an area you wouldn't even have considered before.

Those writing books look so nice. It's so tempting. I'm trying to be so strict with myself to only buy new books if I absolutely need them. Maybe I'll just bookmark them for later. I might just have to invest in a brush pen though.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6446 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 191 of 276
23 September 2012 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
My ex-husband has just decided that he wants to learn Japanese. Apparently he's recently gotten hooked on some sort of anime. I didn't ask which one. So anyway, I will be helping him a bit now and then. Maybe I'll learn something myself too. Explaining something to someone else always helps to solidify one's own knowledge.

And now I have to speed up my own learning. I can't let him beat me! :)

rewire
Groupie
United States
learninglane.tumblr.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4373 days ago

82 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 192 of 276
23 September 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back. :) How is that book on Shadowing? How much material is there actually? I keep being tempted to get it. Also did you also get a teacher's edition for J301? I keep trying to use my copy, but I find it frustrating since I can't check my answers to see if I'm on the right track.

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version