brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 17 of 276
27 December 2011 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Log for 2011.12.21-2011.12.26 inclusive

OK. I’m back. I wanted to come home yesterday, but because of the big storm we had, I wasn’t able.

I’ve done very little these past few days, but I figure I’d post what I’ve done during Christmas, before getting stuck in again. The last normal study day I had was the 21st. Since then, I’ve been away and only manage to do a little. I did manage to keep up my reviews of the RTK kanji (had to do it on my phone because I couldn’t get online any other way). Since I only reviewed and didn’t add any new kanji, the first box is almost empty. Not for long though – I have just over 100 kanji to learn to finish the first book, and I’m determined to do that before the end of the year.

Here’s what I’ve done the past few days:

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 3:16 including reviewing and learning new kanji . I only added 37 new kanji on the 21st and none since then. I only have 102 kanji left to finish the book!!
Read the kanji: Time = 1:26. I didn’t have internet while I was away, so this is from before I left.
ANKI: Time = 2:14. I didn’t usually get all my reviews done, but I tried to do enough that I wouldn’t be swamped when I got home.
Harry Potter
      Audio only: Time = 1:05 I didn’t take any walks while I was away either. (Lots of food and no exercise – not good.)
      Audio and reading at the same time: Time = 2:45. Working my way very slowly through listening to Japanese while reading English. I’m about halfway through the book now.
Writing: Time = 0. I didn’t bother to try to write any Japanese while I was gone.
Grammar: Time = 1:28. I read a little on the train, but that’s about all.

Total for period: 12 hr, 13 min
Total since I started keeping track: 169 hr, 20 min

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 18 of 276
29 December 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
MILESTONE/ACHIEVEMENT

I just added the last 37 kanji to complete the 2042 kanji in Heisig’s RTK1. Of course, he saved the hard ones for last. At least, it seems like that. And what’s with all the trees? Does he think we all want to be botanists? I counted 11 trees in volume 1 and maybe 25-30 trees in volume 3 – maybe more -- I only looked at the tree section and I didn’t count things I wasn’t sure of. In any case, it’s a lot of trees, most of which I’ve never heard of before.

Now I will take about a week off from learning new kanji, and then start making my way slowly through RTK3. I’ve decided to try to learn about 40 kanji each weekend. That should finish RTK3 and the supplement by the end of June as they have only about 1000 kanji altogether. That gives me half a year to really solidify the kanji in my memory. Of course, there will also be more kanji that Heisig didn't include, and that I will learn as I run across them. (Probably more trees.)

So, now that I’m finished with RTK1, I think I deserve some kind of reward. Maybe a book. (Of course a book. It’s always a book. I’m very predictable that way.)

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4861 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 19 of 276
29 December 2011 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
2042 Kanji. Wow, you are really aiming something high. I remember even JLPT N1 would only test on 1945 common kanji. If you are that into kanji you may want to look at some materials for another exam -- 漢字検定, which is a test of kanji ability for native Japanese. As its first six levels (10->5) correspond to the kanji required for grade one to six in primary schools it gives perhaps yet another perspective of learning kanji. Exercises can be found online, for example here. Now I spend about five minutes every day on a 漢検 software on NDS and I find I still don't know how to pronounce some kanji introduced in primary 2 or 3.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 20 of 276
29 December 2011 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Hi Everplayer!

The Heisig method teaches lots of kanji, but first you only learn how to write them and what they mean. So I still have to learn the pronunciations for those kanji. Well, not all of them since I already know some. Anyway, I imagine being Chinese, you know a lot more kanji than that. It's kind of the same thing. As a Chinese, you know most of the kanji and what they mean (the ones that aren't different, anyway), but you still have to learn to pronounce them in Japanese.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 21 of 276
30 December 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
Log for 2011.12.27-2011.12.29 inclusive

Reviewing the Kanji: Time = 2:13 including reviewing and learning new kanji . Added 102 new kanji. I am now finished with Heisig’s first book and am taking a week off from new kanji before beginning on his third book.

Read the kanji: Time = 2:41. I was trying to make up a little for not doing this at all while I was away at Christmas. But I had problems with the net, so I didn’t do as much as I thought I would.

ANKI: Time = 2:58 I’ve decided to make my own deck based on the grammar from my grammar dictionary. I don’t use the example sentences from the book. What I do is, after reading a grammar point in the book, I look for sentences in my reading which use that grammar. I also include related grammar as each grammar point also includes related grammar and tells a bit about the differences. Yesterday, I did aida, aidani, -nagara, and uchini. I think it is nice to group the cards together so one sees the subtle differences better. On the answer side of the card I include an explanation of the grammar point and any unknown vocabulary. Mostly, I try to include sentences that also give me some new vocabulary. In addition to this new deck, I also downloaded a deck of Harry Potter vocabulary. It uses sentences, but the sentences aren’t taken from Harry Potter. The maker found other example sentences for each vocabulary word. I think that’s great. I always learn better if I see several examples. If I see the same sentence each time, I learn to recognize the word in that context, but might not recognize it in other contexts. So now I have at least two contexts.

Harry Potter
              Audio and reading at the same time: Time = 4:12. I only have two chapters to go on listening to Japanese and reading English. I was doing well on this before, but now I seem to be getting too distracted by the English and tuning out the Japanese sometimes. I’m also dreading the last chapter a little. Voldemort is so unpleasant. The reader does the voices so well. The voice of Voldemort gives me chills and makes me want to rip my ears off, so it is perfect for the character, but doesn’t make for pleasant listening.

Other listening: Time = 0:17. Not much in other words. I only listened to Erin.

Other reading: Time = 0:27. Actually I think I read a bit more and forgot to log it.

Grammar: Time = 2:00. This includes reading the grammar book and some of the time I used to make cards for Anki.

Total for period: 14 hr, 48 min
Total since I started keeping track: 184 hr, 8 min

Edited by Brun Ugle on 30 December 2011 at 8:53am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 22 of 276
30 December 2011 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
I just noticed that I've passed 100 posts. I am now a senior member. It sure took me long enough. I've mostly been a lurker.

ErwinHiggs
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4525 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 23 of 276
31 December 2011 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Your log is quite interesting so far! Congratulations on completing Heisig's first
volume, I am starting this journey in the near future and your posts are a motivation to
take this path!

May I know where you found the japanese version of Harry Potter? Did you go on
amazon.co.jp or do you have specialized library in Norway? It seems like a good way to
get native-like structure and speech.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6432 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 24 of 276
31 December 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
ErwinHiggs, welcome to the forum.

Harry Potter can be found many places. Try searching the internet. There are Japanese bookstores and bookstores that cater to Japanese learners and to language learners in general. I suggest you look around a little because it can be quite expensive, but the prices vary greatly. Also, it can often be found used which can be (but not always) cheaper.

Japan is one of the few countries that can make Norway look inexpensive. Next time, I will learn a cheap language!

This discussion contains 276 messages over 35 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version