Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 106
10 January 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
And I am now not asking for other people's mistakes - but your own :-)

My English is fairly good, and allthough it is definitely not a native accent, I generally get positive feed back on it. The major mistakes I did as a young girl I have managed to get rid of (I think my sister corrected me 2000 times for saying "A lot off - with an f - in stead of "A lot of" - with a v).

There is however one mistake I make consistently - but only in some words - that irritate me so much I could kick myself, but I can't get rid of it.

Generally I pronounce the letter "r" in an American way, but in a few particular words it comes out like Scottish rolled "r". It happens specifically in the words

-Cathrine
-through
-three

I remember it started with me saying "Cathrine of Aragon", where I got it into my head that Cathrine should be with a rolled "r" since she was Spanish. I still pronounce Aragon with a regular "r", which does not make a lot of sense.

Do any of you others have any mistakes you cannot get rid of, or any advice on how to get rid of it?

It probably wouldn't be a big deal, if it hadn't been for the fact that my daughter's name is Cathrine. And she gets REALLY mad at me for mispronouncing her name.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 10 January 2012 at 7:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 106
10 January 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
What mistakes?

Okay, let me think of some. I'm not aware of any problems in my Italian, but I haven't
gotten it rated either, so I don't know what to think of it.

My Dutch sounds Belgian, but it's been a while since I got that one so maybe I've
improved. I certainly find it easier to do the throaty g now than before, and not that
I've really been practicing, just seeped in the sounds over here.

But the other day I picked up a French book and starting reading out loud as an exercise
and it was dreadful. You could tell that it *was* French, but beyond that..

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4830 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 3 of 106
10 January 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
When I am speaking Japanese, the U sound is wrong. I am still early enough in my study to try to correct this, but sometimes it sounds horrible to my ears. I hear it in words like "Kudasai". It becomes the English schwa vowel "kuh-da-sa-i" if I am not careful. I have made a point of working slowly and really paying attention to which facial muscles are working.

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 5999 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 4 of 106
10 January 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

There is however one mistake I make consistently - but only in some words - that irritate me so much I could kick myself, but I can't get rid of it.

Generally I pronounce the letter "r" in an American way, but in a few particular words it comes out like Scottish rolled "r". It happens specifically in the words

-Cathrine
-through
-three

I remember it started with me saying "Cathrine of Aragon", where I got it into my head that Cathrine should be with a rolled "r" since she was Spanish. I still pronounce Aragon with a regular "r", which does not make a lot of sense.

Do any of you others have any mistakes you cannot get rid of, or any advice on how to get rid of it?

It probably wouldn't be a big deal, if it hadn't been for the fact that my daughter's name is Cathrine. And she gets REALLY mad at me for mispronouncing her name.

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but many many native English speakers where I am from (including myself) do the same thing. It is quite common in my home state to pronounce /r/ as a tap after a "th" sound -- and we definitely don't roll our "r"s any other time! So you can tell yourself it's not really an error, just a different dialect.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4828 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 106
10 January 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I can't pronounce "months", month is fine but, as soon as the "s" comes after the θ, (th, thin), it's impossible the "th" never really gives me problems but in months or mouths, I just have to pause between th and s.

I also have a tendence to stress English.words on the wrong syllable, really annoying. (attorney par example)
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5145 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 6 of 106
10 January 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
I wish I knew what mistakes I make but I'm so tone deaf that I can't recognise them, I just know that my pronunciation is generally quite English/foreign in every language.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 106
10 January 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
anamsc wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

-Cathrine
-through
-three

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but many many native English speakers where I am from (including myself) do the same thing. It is quite common in my home state to pronounce /r/ as a tap after a "th" sound -- and we definitely don't roll our "r"s any other time! So you can tell yourself it's not really an error, just a different dialect.

You just made my day!!! Now if you could also tell me in which state/states they do that, I'll fall asleep with a smile.

July
Diglot
Spain
Joined 5069 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2
Studies: French

Message 8 of 106
10 January 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
I can't roll my r in Spanish words like 'sonrisa'. They tell me that the r should be
rolled after an n inside a word, but I just can't seem to do it without hesitating or
letting the n disappear.

This discussion contains 106 messages over 14 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version