Joined 5879 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 137 of 225
06 January 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Somebody add that PDF to the team Schnitzel links page!

Oh, BTW: Happy new year, good luck with your goals, etc., etc... ;)

I'm adding this link here This PDF of separable verbs for anybody interested. Glad you like it, mrwarper!

1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 138 of 225
06 January 2013 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Oh, summaries and quick references always come in handy, don't they?

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4416 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 139 of 225
06 January 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for the pdf. I had to laugh a bit at the title of section 4: Problematische Präfixe: for me, that could be an apt title for all the prefixes. But seriously, that section points out the importance of doing audio/spoken work. If the difference is where the emphasis is placed when the word is said, you really need to know how it sounds. Danke dir!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5879 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 140 of 225
06 January 2013 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
(...) But seriously, that section points out the importance of doing audio/spoken work. If the difference is where the emphasis is placed when the word is said, you really need to know how it sounds. Danke dir!

I have to be careful stepping into our Godfather's shoes but if I may, just ignore the grammar-speak ;) I think "betont" and "unbetont" are just grammar words to describe what's happening with the verb in the sentence and don't mean that you have to emphasize them with your voice. "Betont" only means that the prefix has been separated from its root. "unbetont" means that the word is not separated.

Sometimes it's hard to know when to separate the verb and when to keep it together. But it's an important part of the language because separating the verb it can affect the meaning, as you probably know.

Pass auf! Sonst fährst du die Laterne um. (separated)
Watch out! Otherwise you'll knock over the street lamp

Wir umfahren den Stau. -- (not separated)
We're driving around the traffic jam.

There the meaning changes. But don't worry about that yet. It's best to pick out a handful of verbs that you'll know you'll need like "aufmachen" "anmachen", "mitkommen" "vorbereiten" "zurückgehen" etc.. and leave the rest for later.

Let's get our Godpeople in here. They're better at shedding light on the subject :)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 141 of 225
07 January 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
You're absolutely right, Sunja. The seperated prefix is not necessarily emphasized. In fact, emphasizing the prefix would sound a bit strange. You would only do that if you wanted to distinguish the prefix from another prefix:

Pass auf, sonst fährst du die Latérne um. (normal stress)

Pass auf, sonst fährst du die Laterne úm. (not only "an", but "um")

By the way, I would be fine with another Godparent of Team Schnitzel. I don't always have much time, and if there were somebody else who could help you, that would be great. But I guess this would be Brun Ugle's decision.

joshkaasik
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4306 days ago

61 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*, Estonian*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 142 of 225
08 January 2013 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't yet been active in this team. I've been on a trip for the holidays and haven't
had internet much. I'll get back home in 2 days though and am excited to start TAC!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5879 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 143 of 225
08 January 2013 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
( ... )and if there were somebody else who could help you, that would be great. But I guess this would be Brun Ugle's decision.

Since TAC has already started (and if I may speak for her) Brun Ugle is happy to "die Zügel aus der Hand geben" --hand the reins over-- to each individual team. Meaning, it's up to us who we want to add to the team.

nuriayasmin70 wrote:
Hello team Schnitzel! I'm a native German speaker and have recently started to teach German online and as the team is quite big I'm wondering if it would be helpful for you to have a second Godmother next to Josquin. I can't promise that I'll always have the time to read all logs but would try my best and eould also be available via Skype or you can send me a pm if there are any questions or doubts about German.

If anyone wants to add me on Skype, please mention that you're a forum member and belong to team Schnitzel as I ignore people I don't know and who just send the standard message.

It was generous for nuriayasmin to offer to help Team Schnitzel. I for one would prefer that a native German come in and keep me from opening my big mouth. :D I've stepped into "das Fettnäpfchen" of trying to give advice about German plenty of times in HTLAL. Hopefully I've learned from those occassions ;)

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5003 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 144 of 225
09 January 2013 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
May I encourage people to head over to the TAC 2012
voting
thread, and to vote?

If I could repeat some of what I said there:

Even if you haven't been following many logs throughout the year, you could - since we now have most of the
links of finishers handily gathered in that thread - perhaps browse through some of the ones you've missed? (I
used the "Printable version" link at the bottom of the page for quick scanning.)

Those logs for your respective target languages would of course be likely to be of the most immediate use, but
reading logs for languages you're not studying can also be both very inspiring and useful, with respect to
general study techniques/challenges. Some of the best are outstanding examples of both language-learning and
log-keeping.

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version