SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4304 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 34 of 225
11 December 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin's advices sound reasonable. I'm a beginner with Skype, and I'm kinda shy at first (but not after that), so the 'method' she describes seems great. Also, it'd be perfect to get to know each other in English, since it's not my (our) native tongue, though I have certain fluence.
1 person has voted this message useful

Isabliss_27
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4538 days ago

68 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Latin, French

Message 35 of 225
12 December 2012 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Hello, everybody! I've just read the threads, and as for the team name, I really liked Stark because it reminds me A Song of Ice and Fire books... but since no one actually voted for it, I go for Kampfgeist.

My German is A1, but it's been a long time since I did anything productive with it.

Well, I would like to share reineke's challenge on message #702. I put my goals here. See if you guys like the idea. :)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5019 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 36 of 225
12 December 2012 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Team name proposals: anything goes, but I'd prefer to have something energetic, that gives the idea that we are here to ANNIHILATE, and, if possible, puts the fear of God into the other teams ;)
As a bonus, it should be short and recognizable to non-German-speaking HTLALers.

I like Kampfgeist, but I think Kampf is better, as instantly recognizable for everyone (we're forgetting the 'spirit' part but the fight is left in and on display -- who doesn't know 'Mein Kampf'?).
Another short and energetic name could be Ramm, which is close enough to its English counterpart too (ram -- not a goat, but a battering ram).

WRT to the Skype sessions, I'm a member of the Russian Team as well, and even if I haven't been present in every single session I can tell you it's a fantastic idea even for phone haters like myself.

Some important details: 1) it's better to schedule sessions so people can 'drop by' if they want to anyway, but this way they can be fitted into personal schedules as well. 2) As Cristina said already, scripted TL materials work wonders to overcome awkwardness / shyness until everyone who really wants to do it is at ease with the thing and we can do real work there. Edit: 3) Of course it's better to rely in English or languages in common with other members until we can really do German

Edited by mrwarper on 12 December 2012 at 4:50am

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6240 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 37 of 225
12 December 2012 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
I don't think "Mein Kampf" references are healthy
and the word is often misspelled. You can suggest
the idea in other ways.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5019 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 38 of 225
12 December 2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
It's not a reference to anything but the fight. The thing is, because of the (in)famous book, nearly everyone knows the word. Surely if you don't like it anyway you have alternative(s)? (Edit: better alternatives, not just any random things known or clear just to a few initiated, I thought for a while and I didn't see that many)

Edited by mrwarper on 12 December 2012 at 5:07am

reineke
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 39 of 225
12 December 2012 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Trotzköpfe
Die Zwerge
Die Feurigen
Die Ritter
Die Ritter des heiligen Htlals
Die Bescheuerten

reineke
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 40 of 225
12 December 2012 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
@Brun and stifa: wow hats off, you guys are on top of things! I was just about drop a link but it's all taken care of.^^ Brun, thank you for organizing this. This year's TAC is so huge it can be confusing! I didn't know where I was and signed up in joshkaasik's log --sorry!-- (#..')

I think I found the right place for intro this time so,
I am/was in TAC 2012 on the Japanese team and I might try to do Japanese again this coming year but I don't know if I'll get to it. I'm sticking with German and French this year and I'll just continue my old log. By the way, it's so cool we have a Godfather on this team -- yea Josquin!

I can function as a second support when Josquin is krank or im Urlaub :D, I've been doing German for a few years now and I'll do my best to help out (but I can't replace a native)^^

I'm sorry I don't have any geat learning links but a good place to sit and watch is zattoo.com. Most of the networks are free, but you have to register. My kids like KIKA which is the German "Cartoon Network". A lot of the shows like Wissen Macht Ah! are for kiddies but the science stuff is good and not-so-tough to follow as say, the German dokus.

Zattoo is not so good in the US. Only four lousy channels. I waited on Zattoo for a couple of years. Officially it's dreck. You can find Wissen Macht Ah! and many other German shows as podcasts directly from TV station websites.
link

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version