851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 41 of 225
12 December 2012 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
Here are the "rules" of TAC for anyone who is curious about them:
Quote:
The only thing you have to do is make a commitment to hold out for a
year, keep a log, and read the logs of your teammates in order to help and encourage
each other. It's lots of fun.

I quoted that from someone's log partially to poke fun at the guy (who quit way too early). Which part of "total annihilation" is hard to understand? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 42 of 225
12 December 2012 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
Trotzköpfe
Die Zwerge
Die Feurigen
Die Ritter
Die Ritter des heiligen Htlals
Die Bescheuerten

he-he, don't get me started

Siebzehn Richtige
Wilden Wortnachschläger
Auswendig Lernende
Siebzehn am Studieren
....die nach dem Wort fragen
Team TACtLos
Die Dudenprofis

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 43 of 225
12 December 2012 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I thought I was going to faint for our first Skype session, which we of all things had on New Year's Eve. That
was my second Skype session ever. We spoke only English the first time ( though we were hoarsing around
with a thick Russian accent through part of it).

The main thing about our Skype sessions was really to build team spirit. The main challenge for a TAC is
actually to stay to the end, and not lose all your members along the way. In our sessions we have spoken
mostly English, some German, a little French, Swedish, Italian, Spanish and a bit of Russian. Since our levels
in Russian were so wildly different, we read out dialogues, because that made it possible for everyone to
participate. We have had a few sessions where some of the conversation included a native speaker, but my
best advice is to not let the best be the enemy of the good. Just getting used to Skype and each other takes
like three sessions, and then you can start thinking about speaking German. Introduce yourselves, get to
know each other so that you do not feel like strangers anymore.

If some are beginners, let them read out dialogues. If some are more advanced they can have a conversation
while the beginners listen. Be creative, but do not be afraid. We are all here to learn.

christina has made me want to try this. I have to work on getting Skype again. I just got a new computer so I have some work to do at getting it set up, first. The idea with the dialogues is an excellent idea.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4471 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 44 of 225
12 December 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Sorry to post here so late, I've been really busy preparing everything for the TAC, and I'm unfortunately still preparing... Which means I'll announce my goals for 2013 once I'm in a better position to do so. :)

I just wanted to react to the team name choice... members usually include the name of their team in their log title, and as you know, on this forum thread titles are incredibly short, so German compounds or 4 word phrases are not exactly the wisest move (except if you want the name of the team not to be used by its members). That is why several teams have a name in one character (for Japanese/Chinese for instance) or very short: "MIR" for Russian, "德" for Chinese/German.

In the sea of logs, it's also easier to spot a short name (in caps?) rather than a looong word. Well, just saying :)

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 45 of 225
12 December 2012 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
I think so too. If anybody could come up with a name that's short and to the point that would be great.

Kampfgeist might be a bit too much. Just "Kampf" might bring some negative associations along with it and just "Geist" doesn't quite say enough.

The problem is, German words -are- long, that's why Germans often use English words to draw attention for commercial or competition purposes.

We could copy the great Russian name "MIR" and use "WIR". Or would that be too verWIRrend? *cough* sorry. I'm too busy entertaining myself this morning :)) 'Time for me to go study!

edit: goin with mrwarper's "RAMM" idea, here's a few others: Schlag, Donner, Bombe, Stoß, Streich, Blitz

Edited by Sunja on 12 December 2012 at 9:51am

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4471 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 46 of 225
12 December 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Not too short (but perhaps ok?), but perhaps appropriate: Sprachbund?
That describes fairly well the Germanic area, it is a widely known word in the language learning community (not anymore a "German" word only) and finally, that's a pun for the team: The Language Alliance.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4666 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 47 of 225
12 December 2012 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
So regarding the Skype thing?

- Should we set up a continous text chat that we can kind of drop in on whenever we
like?
- Schedule voice chats about once a week, once every two weeks, etc?

And regarding the team name, the Russian team used an abbreviation, which was not even
a Russian word. If they had to use a word, the only one known to the commoner would be
"perestroika", "glasnost" and "vodka". :p
I don't think we should think too much about what the others think; we should have a
team name that we can proudly associate ourselves with.

Sorry for being so active here... My only responsibillity is to keep the first few
posts up to date.

Edited by stifa on 12 December 2012 at 2:55pm

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5878 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds

Message 48 of 225
12 December 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Wer per Skype chatten will kann mir gerne eine pm schicken. Ich habe noch keine Kamera aber simsen/text schreiben kann ich. Wegen Familie/Arbeit bin ich nicht immer erreichbar (abends sind für mich am besten) aber ich kann es mal probieren. Ich habe eben Skype runtergeladen und ich bin startklar :)

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version