Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4420 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 49 of 203
17 July 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Anyway, here's my everyday schedule that I plan to follow until my internship starts
(July 29). I've succedeed yesterday and I just have to do my reading for Japanese and
that'll be 2days in a row.

- 1.5-2 chapters of my Japanese book (海辺のカフカ)
- 1 chapter (at least) of 어린왕자
- 1 chapter (at least) of any chinese graded reader I have (right now on 如果没有你)
- 1 Lesson of Assimil Norwegian
- 3 or more news articles in Japanese
- 2 grammar points of Mandarin and then putting 5 examples sentences for each on Lang-8
- Anki
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4420 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 50 of 203
23 July 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Up until now, I've been following pretty well my program. I've had one low day.. which
is today. My motivation is at its lowest all of a sudden. I guess we all have those
days. I'm tired of forcing myself to read my Japanese book. So I'm changing
again my plan and have decided to take my time to read my japanese book (I was
planning on finishing it before my internship but it got too stressful).

Apart from that, all my languages are doing fine. I've been doing everything everyday
and even posted twice in Norwegian on Lang-8. And to compensate for the days I don't
post on Lang-8 in Chinese, I study more grammar points the next day.

Also on another aspect, I don't know whether I got that from G-Bod or not, but my
frustration I had felt a while back with kanjis has been rising up once more. I had
been ignoring it, but now that I see G-bod working hard to find a way to study kanji
again, I want to do so too. I should be ashamed of the number of kanjis I know right
now and if I ever plan on being "fluent" or just passing the JLPT N1, I should know as
many characters as possible. (Furthermore, considering my ultimate goal in Japanese is
to take one day the 漢字検定1級, the first 2-3000 characters should be a piece of
cake).

Anyway, I've now taken out my JLPT N1 kanji (総まとめcollection) book that I bought 6-7
months ago, put in in the toilets to read there :p I'm also starting to read on NHK
easy news too. It demotivated me many times because I hate having the furigana on top
of a kanji but it seems I am now able to ignore it unless the kanji is unknown. I am
reading the article, then listening to it while reading, then re-checking if there's
any unknown kanji or word before watching to the actual video report. Furthermore, a
friend will come back from Japan soon and I'm searching for a good kanji book he could
bring back. (if anyboday has an advice..!)

On another point: I've stopped my Italian experiment until I find a good program to
record the sentences. The best would be on my phone (no transfer needed then) but on
computer would be good too. For now the app I use is good (I can speed up the audio),
but it doesn't record really loud. If i'm in the metro, I can't hear the sentences.

Edited by yuhakko on 24 July 2013 at 2:09am

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4420 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 51 of 203
24 July 2013 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I've once more let my wanderlust take the best of me and checked out some Ainu. I've
been interested in this language since last year when I did a presentation about it
during my time in Japan. I've opened the links I had kept about it. They are in
Japanese. I'm actually also interested in the Ainu culture so I'm planning on reading a
few articles about it in on those websites. Some kanjis have the pronunciation right
after the word (not as furigana) so it's practical because I don't need to be afraid to
read it without being willing to. I've read : アイヌ文化まで、アイヌ言葉 and アイヌ文化
の現在. It's really interesting.

I'm also going to study little bit by little by the language itself with the pdf and
podcasts on : http://www.stv.ne.jp/radio/ainugo/index.html Studying Ainu from Japanese
will certainly reinforce my Japanese and analysing how the 2 languages are related is
also interesting. (they have small katakanas, like a small プ, ク... so it creates
sounds which are not in Japanese). The sentences are formed more or less like japanese
(it seems the verb is at the end: タアンペ (これは) コンプ (コンプ, an Ainu dish) ネ(で
す) ヤ(=か)).

Edited by yuhakko on 24 July 2013 at 2:06am

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4420 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 52 of 203
26 July 2013 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Just spent 2 full days with an Australian friend for his last days here and as a result
did literally no study. And considering my incoming weekend, I doubt I'll have much
time either.

However, I did check out a bit my 総まとめ Kanji for JLPT N1 and whilst flipping
through the pages, I ended up on the last "week" of study and it was about reading the
newspaper. Each day introduced kanjis related to a certain kind of topic (like
economics, politics, society, international...). That reminded me of the Kanji exams I
got during my exchange last year. It was always around certain topics and it helped a
lot more the kanjis to stick. So I searched for something similar online and since I
couldn't find I just went to look for the kanji lists from my school last year and I
found it! There are many, many topics related to literaly everything so I'll just start
with the most interesting ones I think. I'll print the list and then learn each kanji
with the help of whatever kanji dictionnary I find online.

PS: Was quite weird to see pictures of my friends from last year on the new website for
the university. It brought me back for a bit..

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5770 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 53 of 203
26 July 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Ooh are these lists publicly available? I think sorting characters by subject is a great
idea.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4420 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 54 of 203
27 July 2013 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Yes they are! I'm going for the "Love&Marriage, Family, Human, Relations, Ceremonial,
Occasion, Cooking, Daily Life,Work" one in the intermediate level. I think I'll give
myself time to assimilate those well so I'll probably go for like 30 or 40 per month and
look up as many words using those kanjis as possible.

here's the link. It's at the bottom :
Kanji lists
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4420 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 55 of 203
27 July 2013 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
I've registered for the 6week challenge with Norwegian! I kinda wanted to do it with
Chinese again but I need to push myself to do more than just one Assimil lesson per day!
I know for a fact I'll be doing more Korean, Chinese and Japanese, but if I get more
norwegian and finally get some really progress, I'll consider that as a success!!

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4420 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 56 of 203
28 July 2013 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
So, my internship will start tomorrow morning. I am kind of thrilled and at the same
time worried. I'm really looking forward to actually use my languages in a more
professional way but at the same time afraid that I'll just blackout on basic words or
just forget to be polite (my biggest worry).

Apart from that, I am being rather serious and doing most of my predicted activities
every day.
- Chinese is going ok but I need to motivated myself to do the grammar activity more
often (it's the one I omit most of the time).
- Korean is going really good. I'm almost at the end of The little prince and I think
that after that, I'll borrow the English of french version of 새 from 오정희. I've read
it once a while back in french and I have the Korean version (signed by the Author!) at
home. I'm also starting slowly but surely to study from TTMIK. And everyday I have
some conversations with friends.
- Norwegian is still alright. I'm just really afraid to drop it again as I'm doing it
last everyday (with my internship, I plan on doing the Assimil lesson before work.. but
I need to wake up first).
- Japanese: Going great. Reading is becoming easier again. I've stopped a bit the book
as it was too much stress but I read 3 articles from 読売 everyday, 4 from NHK easy
news and 1-2 articles about Ainu culture too.

As for Ainu, I've had my very first real lesson today. (I had done the lesson 7 just to
check before). It's incredibly interesting and I felt the same excitment I got when I
first started Japanese 5 (6?) years ago.

Anyway, going to sleep after a podcast from NHK news radio! As they say in Ainu, スイ 
ウヌカラン ノー!またお会いしましょう!

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version