brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 73 of 156
16 January 2013 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Half-month evaluation

So far it seems to be going well and I might have a reasonably good chance of reaching most of my goals.

SPANISH
1) Do 20 units/repetitions of FSI Programmatic/Basic (Currently up to unit 2 in FSI basic and 6 in FSI Programmatic. A total of 14 repetitions so far.)
2) Finish the first 3 chapters in both “Foundation Course in Spanish” and “Modern Spanish” (I’ve done one of each, but have been debating with myself whether it might not be better to wait with them and do more of the FSI instead.)

JAPANESE
1) Finish adding up to step 8 of the Core 5000 on iKnow. (No problem. If I add 10 new cards per day, I’ll make it.)
2) Review all the old kanji from RTK. I’m way behind on my reviews again. (A bit more difficult. There are so many difficult kanji in the failed box that are going to be hard to get rid of. I’ve reduced the number of kanji by half, so in a sense, I’m right on track. It’s just that there are those hard ones to get rid of too. Plus more cards come due each day. So even as I get rid of some, new ones show up.)
3) Write 800 words for lang-8. It doesn’t sound like much, but believe me, it will be a challenge. (368 words left. So I’ve actually come halfway. I’m a little surprised. But it’s going to be a lot of work to get finished even so.)
4) Listen/watch 30 hours. (I’ve done very nearly 15 hours, so I’m right on track with this too. It’s about an hour a day.)
5) Read 1/2 or more of my book. I’m actually a little less than halfway on this, but not much less. I hardly read at all these days. I’ve turned my studies completely around from last year.)
6) Do 5 lessons in GLOSS. I hope I can stand the guy with the worst voice in all of Japan, or maybe pick and choose lessons without him. (I’ve done 3, but I’m not sure I even care about finishing this goal. I might do it, but it’s incredibly boring and I’m not sure it’s as much use as I’d hoped. I think I might be better concentrating on my other goals and letting this one go.)

In terms of time, I’ve done 60:55 total.

Spanish is 15:31 and is all course work.

Japanese is at 45:24 and breaks down like this (I have last year’s percents in parentheses for comparison):
Kanji: 5:04 --- 11% --- (11%)
Listening: 14:52 ---33% --- (6%)
Reading: 5:12 --- 11% --- (55%)
Writing: 6:36 --- 15% --- (2%)
Vocab: 11:08 --- 25% --- (24%)
Grammar/textbook: 2:32 --- 6% --- (3%)

So my goals of evening things up a bit and of having an increased emphasis on listening are also almost right on track. I think I need to do a bit more grammar work though. I especially need to go through some constructions that I know about and recognize, but almost never attempt to use myself. I need to become more confident of how and when to use them. I should also go through some of my lang-8 entries one more time to read up on some of my earlier mistakes as I didn’t always go through the early entries so well.

1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4430 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 74 of 156
16 January 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Nice Half month progress! Right on track with pretty much everything and you've showed a
lot of work and as a result of progress as well!
Congrats!!

And seeing the way you use Lang8 made me wanna try again! It's been a while and I need to
get back to it asap now

benbassist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5225 days ago

51 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 75 of 156
16 January 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your progress with the TAC so far, looks like you have made some good progress.

What is GLOSS? It might be worth letting this one go if its no good.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 76 of 156
16 January 2013 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
benbassist wrote:
Congratulations on your progress with the TAC so far, looks like you have made some good progress.

What is GLOSS? It might be worth letting this one go if its no good.

From my links page up front:
G.L.O.S.S.Free language lessons from DLI. Multiple languages and levels.

I wouldn't say that GLOSS is no good. Quite the opposite. The recordings I've listened to for the Japanese lessons are rather tinny and annoying, but I listened to a couple of random Spanish ones and those sounded good. So I will probably try it for Spanish later.

My real problem with it, I think, is that I'm tired of "lessons." So it's probably the wrong choice for me. I think at this point I will have more benefit from other kinds of study, especially since I'm bored with traditional lessons. In Spanish, it's OK, because I'm at the point where that's what is going to help me. But in Japanese, I have so many other options. So right now, for Japanese, I think the best for me is to continue with kanji and iKnow, read, watch dramas/movies, and listen to audiobooks/podcasts/etc. As far as active study of grammar, I think the best way for me to do it is to continue writing and going carefully through the corrections, then reading about the grammar points that I get wrong, and trying again. I might also leave through an old textbook to look at a few things I don't really remember well and maybe even redo a few of those exercises.

Travis.H
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4254 days ago

59 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Sign Language
Studies: French

Message 77 of 156
17 January 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
One drama that you can get for free off of youtube with exact Japanese subs is 日本人の知
らない日本語. I'm not sure if you've read the book / manga or seen the show or not, but
I really enjoyed watching the show after reading all of the books a few months ago. The
Japanese in the show is very easy to follow, and having exact subs helps for any 専門語
you run across. One caveat though, like all Japanese dramas it's a little overacted.
But it's free with exact subs which is rare for Japanese.

Edited by Travis.H on 17 January 2013 at 1:16am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 78 of 156
17 January 2013 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Travis.H wrote:
One drama that you can get for free off of youtube with exact Japanese subs is 日本人の知
らない日本語. I'm not sure if you've read the book / manga or seen the show or not, but
I really enjoyed watching the show after reading all of the books a few months ago. The
Japanese in the show is very easy to follow, and having exact subs helps for any 専門語
you run across. One caveat though, like all Japanese dramas it's a little overacted.
But it's free with exact subs which is rare for Japanese.

Thanks for the tip. The electrician is supposed to be coming tomorrow morning at 8, so maybe by the afternoon, I will be able to watch dramas, use Skype and do all sorts of other cool stuff. (Ugh, I'd better clean the apartment a little. I wouldn't want him to be attacked by a killer dust bunny. They aren't used to strangers, so I don't know how they'll react.)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4463 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 79 of 156
17 January 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Japanese is at 45:24 and breaks down like this

First of all, congratulations on achieving your targets: I always find it a bit difficult
to get going (especially after Christmas).

How are you tracking your progress? I keep a spreadsheet with a page per week, and a
summary (per year now!) but beyond that I've got no way of adding up listening, reading
etc. other than by going back and doing it manually on a weekly basis. Are you using some
better tracking tool, do you have a better spreadsheet or do you just add up more quickly
than I do :-)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 80 of 156
17 January 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
I use a spreadsheet too, but mine is a little different than yours. I'll see if I can explain.

I have all the dates across the top row starting from the third column.
In the two columns on the left, I have the name of the activity and the sum for the entire row.
Each day I record the time spent on each activity. The sums are always there on the left.

Under all that, I have another set of sums for each skill area or study area (reading, writing, listening, grammar study, etc).
There I just combine the sums of the various activities that fit in each area. For example, some of my activities are: podcasts, movies, audiobooks. The sums from all these activities would be summed together in the category for listening.
I also have formulas to calculate the percents for each category.
Everything is calculated by formulas. I just fill in the times each day.

Sorry for the awkward explanation. I tried to show sort of what it looked like, but for some reason, the forum decided to insert a bunch of strange characters.

If it doesn't make sense, I can try again, or I could possibly send you a simplified, blank version.

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version