Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 9 of 156
02 January 2013 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
No European Spanish for me, thanks! It sounds too weird, like they all have some sort of speech-impediment. It's the same with Sørlandsk. They sound like a bunch of three-year-olds that haven't learned to speak properly yet. And Vestlendinger sound like Donald Duck. The best dialect in Norwegian is Nordlandsk. I don't know yet what the best dialect for Spanish is yet, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a European one.

I hope I haven't insulted too many people on this forum. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4430 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 10 of 156
02 January 2013 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Oh my bad. I didn't know. I actually agree with you. My "favourite Spanish" is actually
the Columbian one. It sounds really good and relaxed, it's a pleasure to hear.
Unfortunately for me, I spent 5months living in Spain and got the Spanish Spanish. The
only expression not from Spain I use is "acordarse" instead of "recordar" because of a
friend who used it way too much. :)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 11 of 156
02 January 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
I've had a headache most of the day, so I've done almost nothing. I get very grumpy when I have a headache :(

I've been trying to put a bunch of those Sherlock onto my iPhone and it won't work. It keeps telling me that it can't find certain tracks. I can't figure out why. They are sitting in the same folder and have the same album name and artist name and everything as the tracks it does find, so what's up? And of course it's just random tracks it doesn't find. So I have parts 1-4 of a 5-part story and then part 4 and 6 of a 6-part story and so on. So most of the stories have at least one part missing. And on one story, it decided to make up its own mini-tracks. It has the regular track one (I think) but it also has three other "track one"'s that are about 7-15 seconds and are just little pieces out of the real track one. Yesterday, I was just listening to the stories on my computer, but it would be nice to have them on my phone so I could take them with me.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 12 of 156
03 January 2013 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Just doing the regular round of log visiting, and I found this
Brun Ugle wrote:
No European Spanish for me, thanks! It sounds too weird, like they all have some sort of speech-impediment. [...] I hope I haven't insulted too many people on this forum. :-)
Well, maybe you don't need to worry about how many people you insult, but how much you insult them...

as your Godfather, I can tell you who I'm *not* gonna call when my son gets killed in a shootout.

OK, I don't really feel insulted -- if it's because of all the /θ/ sounds, I guess that's exactly how Germans feel about English speakers, so we're even, just this once ;)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 13 of 156
03 January 2013 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Don't mind me. I come from the place with the ugliest sounding English in the world.

I lived here in Norway for 9 years before taking a trip to my hometown in the US. I remember sitting on the plane listening to the people around me talking, and wondering where in the world they came from because they were making such hideous sounds. I should have realized they were from the area where I grew up since that was where the plane was headed, but I found it quite shocking to get back home and realize that I'd grown up with that horrible noise all around me. It's no wonder the rest of the country makes fun of us.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 156
03 January 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
So, you're from Newcastle then? ;)

(Disclaimer for not-so-innocent bystanders: I know Newcastle is in the UK, not the US. For some reason (or none at all!) there was some review floating around, about people there speaking a really hideous variant of English, etc. It's just a joke, you dummies!)

OK, "seriously", where is this horrid (yours, not Newcastle's) variant of English spoken? You know people laugh at each other at the drop of a hat, so that's not a real hint...

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 15 of 156
03 January 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Southern New Jersey in the US. It's so flat and nasal sounding.

It's kind of weird, but certain sounds sound right in some languages and not in others. It's like those /θ/ sounds in Spanish. I'm used to Latin American Spanish, so it just sounds wrong to me, but the sound itself is OK and I like it in languages like English where it "belongs." It's the same with some of those Norwegian dialects. Some of them have some sounds in common with Danish, but Danish is supposed to sound like that, so then it sounds nice, but in Norwegian, it doesn't.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4645 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 16 of 156
04 January 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
It's no wonder the rest of the country makes fun of us.

Trust me, Brun... the entire country doesn't make fun of you all. They make fun of us Southerners. :) You think Jersey English is bad? Why don't ya hop on a plane 'n' git yoself daown to da Heart of Dixie 'n' git you a bit o' dat Southern twang, dahlin! Hoo-wee! Ain't nuttin' like it.

Of course, I can't call myself a Southerner anymore. I denounced that way back when I was 10, when I started to change my accent to a more standard American one. Now, on the rare occasions I go back to Alabama, they think I'm from Detroit or Chicago or something.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version