Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
156 messages over 20 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 19 20 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6502 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 113 of 156
15 February 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I was listening to a story on Wednesday using Iversen's bloodhound method and subvocalizing like you said, and suddenly, I realized I could understand everything perfectly. I was so excited. But then a few minutes later, I was back to understanding only a few words here and there.

What happened? Something must have thrown you off course. Usually it would be an outside disturbance which spoiled your concentration. But even a few minutes with perfect understanding is a triumph, and now the game is how to extend that time. Edison's first lightbulbs also just lasted a few seconds.

Btw. if you don't use your Norwegian more then a few hours each week then it is prefectly legitimate to count this time as language maintenance.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6419 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 114 of 156
15 February 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Hang in there. I am rooting for you, given that I am now aiming for a top 40. :-) And it is perfectly fine to
count listening as long as you actually get something out of it. I used to put on the CDs when I was doing
my morning routine, and the only time I did not count was when I was in the shower. I can brush my teeth
or eat and still listen properly, but showering and effective studying is beyond my capabilities. I did not count
music either, because I did not get much out of it, but I see some count that too.

Thank you! Your encouragement means a lot. I was amazed that first day by how much you managed to get done. I started to wonder if you really had a job or if you were just fooling us. I don't even have a job at the moment, but I still can't manage much more than you.

I feel much better now that I've decided to give up first place and go for second or third. I still wonder at how some people can manage to do 16 hours in one day and then 25 hours the next. (It reminds me of my old boss. We got paid for travel time under certain circumstances and he figured that if he sat on the train and worked on something at the same time, he could enter double the hours on his time sheet, making it technically possible to have over 24 hours a day if the trip is long enough. I really didn't like all the things they did there to pad the bills. I couldn't do it. I didn't mind working over the legal limit on overtime and faking the time sheets to make it look like we stayed within the limits. That doesn't really hurt anyone. But things like going out to a client even though you don't really have anything to do there and sitting working on something entirely different just to make it look like the price is justified -- that I couldn't do. When I was done working on that client, I left.)

Anyway, to get back to the original topic. I have a great deal of trouble doing two things at once, and I have trouble listening anyway, hence the mumbling thing to hold my focus. It is said autists have a very male brain, but taken to the extreme and it's well known that men are generally not as good as women at doing two things at once, so people with autism are even worse. I have learned to some extent to listen to something while doing something else provided the something else is very simple and either monotonous (like exercising) or so ingrained that it can be done virtually automatically without thinking. I've tried doing it while making dinner, but I have to really struggle to focus on the sounds and even then, I tend to drift out a lot. Also, autists have a great deal of trouble with listening anyway, especially to something that doesn't interest us. And it's very hard to be interested in something you don't understand. So I doubt that the listening while doing other things would be much use for me.

I'm rooting for you too. You are currently in 15th place, so I think you can aim much higher than top 40.
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6419 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 115 of 156
15 February 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
I was listening to a story on Wednesday using Iversen's bloodhound method and subvocalizing like you said, and suddenly, I realized I could understand everything perfectly. I was so excited. But then a few minutes later, I was back to understanding only a few words here and there.

What happened? Something must have thrown you off course. Usually it would be an outside disturbance which spoiled your concentration. But even a few minutes with perfect understanding is a triumph, and now the game is how to extend that time. Edison's first lightbulbs also just lasted a few seconds.

Btw. if you don't use your Norwegian more then a few hours each week then it is prefectly legitimate to count this time as language maintenance.

WOW!! You read my log too?! Another visit from royalty. First the Queen and now the King.

I think what happened was that I came to an easy part where most of the words were ones that I knew, but it is probably also partly getting distracted. I very easily get distracted from listening, and the shock of realizing that I understood something was probably enough to throw me off track. I haven't listened to that story again yet, but I will probably try it tomorrow to see if I still understand that part and maybe understand some more as well. I want to wait until I can do it while not doing anything else so that there is nothing around to break my concentration. I was on a fairly empty train when it happened so there weren't any outside distractions, so that might be why it happened. The monotony of the motion might have helped too. Trains are very relaxing. I love them.

I was very skeptical to the method at first as it seemed that I was almost missing words that I did know, but now I'm a believer. I think it almost puts you into a trance making you so focused that you "become the words" and are pulled along by them unable to stop at the familiar or almost familiar ones.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 116 of 156
15 February 2013 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
[...] it's well known that men are generally not as good as women at doing two things at once [...]

Care to elaborate a bit on this? I find it mighty annoying when people try to spread total nonsense as fact just because they heard it somewhere so I'd expect you to have at least some kind of basis to say something like that.

Edited by mrwarper on 15 February 2013 at 12:57pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4464 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 117 of 156
15 February 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
[...] it's well known that men are generally not as
good as women at doing two things at once [...]

Care to elaborate a bit on this? I find it mighty annoying when people try to spread
total nonsense as fact just because they heard it somewhere so I'd expect you to have
at least some kind of basis to say something like that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7896385/Scie ntists-prove-that-women-
are-better-at-multitasking-than-men.html.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2223137/Men-A RE-better-multitasking-
women-Swedish-researchers-claim.html.

Maybe things are just different in the cold :-)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 118 of 156
15 February 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Maybe things are just different in the cold :-)

Oh well, the first linked article starts with "Scientists", and it's all downhill from there: then it says "psychologists", then "it does depend on the task", and "Researchers decided to test the truth of the commonly held belief after discovering that no scientific research had ever been done into it", so it's only natural the following thing is the mandatory counter-study (the second article 'proving' the opposite), which should give you a clue on how reliable these things really are :)

Id I didn't know better or I were less tired of made-up numbers, unproven assumptions about neurophysiology, etc. I'd be much more inclined to believe any of the 'related articles' they link:
-Multi-tasking could help differentiate depression and early Alzheimer's
-People love multitasking - but sadly BOTH sexes are terrible at it, not just men
-How only 2% of us can really multitask ... thanks to differently structured brains

but (un?)fortunately I'm not in the mood to even read them right now ;)

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4251 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 119 of 156
15 February 2013 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

I'm beginning to doubt that I can beat him overall, but I think I might be able to come
in first on target language and maybe second or third overall, unless something happens
to upset my life again. So far, I've been doing an average of 8.5 hours a day. I don't
think I can really do much more than that unless I give up everything. As it is, I
don't do much besides study, exercise, buy food a couple times a week, take a shower
now and then, make food, eat it, and other fairly essential activities. I've hardly
even been on this forum lately.

Please keep at it with your target language, you're our only hope for someone
winning fair and square and not on a technicality. Yes, background sound is allowed,
but I think that's just following the letter of the law, not the spirit of it.
Unfortunately, BabyT is not the only one posting a ridiculous amount of listening time
everyday :(

So please keep at it, if you win target language I'll help you with your Spanish after
the 6WC is over. Unless of course, I win, LOL! But that's unlikely.

Edited by JohannaNYC on 15 February 2013 at 9:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

BabyThylakoid
Russian Federation
Joined 4139 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Italian, Hindi

Message 120 of 156
16 February 2013 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
JohannaNYC wrote:

Please keep at it with your target language, you're our only hope for someone
winning fair and square and not on a technicality. Yes, background sound is allowed,
but I think that's just following the letter of the law, not the spirit of it.
Unfortunately, BabyT is not the only one posting a ridiculous amount of listening time
everyday :(

So what are you saying? Listening a lot is cheating? Yes, I sometimes do something else simultaneously like taking my dog out for a walk or doing the dishes. But I think it would be wrong not to count this time at all while other people consider watching tv-shows and doramas as studying.

Edited by BabyThylakoid on 16 February 2013 at 1:40am

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version