Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 17 of 156
04 January 2013 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Southern dialects have character. South Jersey is just yucky. We're kind of in the middle. Northerners think we're a bunch of hicks and consider us to be almost Southerners (at least those Northerners who've been there and met us), while Southerner's think were Northerners.

Times are a-changing though. Now all these dang city-folk with there city-folk ways are moving in and "citifying" everything.

More on my hometown later.....

Edited by Brun Ugle on 04 January 2013 at 11:57am

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 18 of 156
04 January 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
¿Dónde está Sánchez?

Sorry, but I've heard that at least 40 times so far today. So if you see Sánchez, tell him some guy is looking for him. I figure Sánchez is hiding somewhere so he doesn’t have to listen to this guy going, “ma, ma, ma, mi, me, mi, me, si, su….” over and over again.

On the Japanese front, I finally got around to doing a teensy bit of writing today. Figuring out what to say and how to say it wasn’t so hard, but I really noticed my lack of kanji practice. I had a hard time remembering how to write the words. I always write by hand before typing it up so that I can get that practice, and it is obvious that I need it.

I’ll get around to describing my hometown later. In English. I don’t think I could manage a very detailed description in Japanese, and in the case of Spanish, I can’t even find Sánchez, so I’m definitely not ready to describe much of anything.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 19 of 156
04 January 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
嬉しい!!!   今日、 本当によ いポッドキャストを 見つけました 。 文豪達の名作を ラジオドラマにする ポッドキャストです。

Today I found the most fabulous podcast. They make classical works of famous authors into radio plays. They are great productions – well written and directed. The voice actors are highly skilled, and the plays also have sound effects and music. I just listened to 夏目漱石の「吾輩は猫である」 ”I am a Cat” by Natsume Soseki (a famous story by a famous author). After that, for certain Russian fans out there, I listened to チェーホフの「桜の園」 “The Cherry Orchard” by Anton Chekhov. (Notice how I also got the cherry “sakura” reference in there :-)

If you aren’t yet learning Japanese, try listening to them and you’ll wish you were.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 04 January 2013 at 9:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4982 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 20 of 156
04 January 2013 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Hi brun, I didn't realize you were studying Spanish as well as Japanese. I'm thinking if doing some
Spanish too it being the 2nd most used language in the states with 3rd being who knows what and
nowhere near Spanish or English. I'm a bit ahead of you though since I can already read really lite stuff in
Spanish already. Have fun with Sanchez ;).

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4144 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Sign Language
Studies: Japanese

Message 21 of 156
04 January 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
¡Buenas tardes!

I'm happy that we are working on the same languages together! If you have any questions
about Spanish, let me know. :) Although in regards to Mr. Sanchez: "No se." I live on
the U.S.-Mexico border so I can probably point you to one if you give me a few minutes.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4671 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 22 of 156
04 January 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Funny thing about the ugle/ugly thing... I actually though ugly was English for ugle
when I was like 8... yeah, and crop/kropp, etc.

I actually started studying some Spanish in September, but studying three languages
whilst studying engineering at a "prestige" uni in the UK didn't rhyme too well. :p

And introducing your hometown in Japanese wouldn't do anything than help you improve...
y'know "øvelse gjør mester."

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6418 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 23 of 156
06 January 2013 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Apparently, monthly goals are the next big thing (© LanguageSponge), so I figured I’d give it a try.

JANUARY GOALS

SPANISH
1) Do 20 units of FSI Programmatic/Basic*
2) Finish the first 3 chapters in both “Foundation Course in Spanish” and “Modern Spanish”

JAPANESE
1) Finish adding up to step 8 of the Core 5000 on iKnow.
2) Review all the old kanji from RTK. I’m way behind on my reviews again.
3) Write 800 words for lang-8. It doesn’t sound like much, but believe me, it will be a challenge.
4) Listen/watch 30 hours.
5) Read 1/2 or more of my book. (120 pages)
6) Do 5 lessons in GLOSS. I hope I can stand the guy with the worst voice in all of Japan, or maybe pick and choose lessons without him.

* I’d originally thought I would go for doing up to unit 10 of each, but I’m having much more trouble with pronunciation than I thought, especially in the Basic course, where they think 7 syllable words should just roll off the tongue. So, my 20 units doesn’t mean 20 separate units. It can be 20 repetitions of the same unit! (I so hope not.)

Edited by Brun Ugle on 06 January 2013 at 10:58am

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4269 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 24 of 156
06 January 2013 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
¿Dónde está Sánchez?
¿Dónde está Sánchez?

Sorry, but I've heard that at least 40 times so far today. So if you see Sánchez, tell him some guy is looking for him. I figure Sánchez is hiding somewhere so he doesn’t have to listen to this guy going, “ma, ma, ma, mi, me, mi, me, si, su….” over and over again.

In traditional English courses, "Johnny is in the kitchen" so may be your guy Sánchez is there too. Then again, according to those courses "my tailor is rich" - has anyone ever had to say this sentence in real life ??? - so they might not be 100% accurate ;).

This discussion contains 156 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version